Pulling the 1986 5.7 Broken Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Eh, it will make it look like a reman engine from Jasper. But it ain't my truck so I guess I should just keep my two cents out of it, lol.

Keep in mind, you will want a high temp engine paint for it to hold up reasonably well.

RawkerStatus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
You're right. I've always been a paint it black kinda guy. First engine swap I've done. Trying to make it memorable to myself.Will definitely be an engine paint. I'm leaning towards a lighter bluem

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
My two cents, what ever color you choose, valve covers, block timing cover, etc. all the same color. I think that makes it look like it all belongs together. The exception would be chrome or aluminum valve covers.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
You now have the elusive 3/4 cam from back in the day!!! Put it on the shop wall on a board and label it that way.

The engine you have is definitely not from a '96, that was the first year for Vortec heads and those aren't, they're TBI. This should be a direct bolt-up from the one you took out.

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Got the engine on the stand. Pulled the intake manifold. Found bank 2 rear water jacket almost completely clogged. Cylinder 5 push rod bent.
Man, that bottom end was effing nasty! I've never seen anything that bad.

Did see a six once that had totally trashed main bearings. It still ran, but you could hear a rumble that sounded like a bag of rocks!

RawkerStatus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
You now have the elusive 3/4 cam from back in the day!!! Put it on the shop wall on a board and label it that way.

The engine you have is definitely not from a '96, that was the first year for Vortec heads and those aren't, they're TBI. This should be a direct bolt-up from the one you took out.

I'll look at the castings and make sure. So to go to carburetor do I still need a different intake manifold? I was hoping to go with efi but it'll have to wait.

RawkerStatus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
Looking up the codes. Dont think it's a 96. 94 at the latest.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes