Power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is the power steering on a 84 k10 scottsdale pickup, supposed to mount with the fill neck to the left or right of the ac compressor ?

mine mounts to the left and seems like a pita to fill or check . That and it seems the belt is angled.

the truck came with a 305 full package from the dealer (canada). When I bought the truck the po's told me it had a 350 in it. Of course I've only owned it for about 3 months which it's sat while I replace small old ass bushings,exhaust,brake system. And haven't checked the heads or back of the block yet.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Not sure from the above post what size motor you have. But your signature indicates a 350, So, if it's a 350 with an R-4 compressor, the setup should look something like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That's how it looks, I just figure it'd be hell easier to fill it up. If it was on the right side instead of the left side under the bracket. As far as the engine I'm hoping when I check the heads or get the casting # off the back it is a 350.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
the lines would never reach to the right head. It would have benefits tho if it was mounted to the right. Easier filling, and longer lines behind fan to help keep fluid cooler

jelly69

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 liter
So does anyone know if I can use a 3500 series pump on my v2500 5.7? I've gone though 5 remand pumps in about 5 years. I was looking to get larger tires but am hesitant due to the failure rate of my pump. So my thoughts are the 3500s are stronger. Am i true in thinking this? http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/images/smilies/biggun.gif

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So does anyone know if I can use a 3500 series pump on my v2500 5.7? I've gone though 5 remand pumps in about 5 years. I was looking to get larger tires but am hesitant due to the failure rate of my pump. So my thoughts are the 3500s are stronger. Am i true in thinking this? http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/images/smilies/biggun.gif

You are either very unlucky, or something else is causing premature failure. Someone else will have to answer the question about a 3500 pump. I would guess you could, but again, I think something else in the system is causing premature failures.

jelly69

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 liter
You are either very unlucky, or something else is causing premature failure. Someone else will have to answer the question about a 3500 pump. I would guess you could, but again, I think something else in the system is causing premature failures.

Well what ends up happening is the fluid burns so now I'm running atf+4 through it and it seems to hold up. But its all caused by the remand pumf, I've even sheared a shaft off. Wish I got a pic of that. So does anyone else have problems with their power steering like this or is it just me? I've only got a 5.7 at around 200ish hp.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Might be better off getting a used factory pump out of a junkyard. Goodness gracious 5 pumps. Does ACDelco make them? Might want to have the pressure in the system checked by a shop?

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
put a cooler on it and let fliud cool down. take return hose and add a peace of metal line under radiator back around to pump and that will diapate the heat considerable. I always tried to locat a oldsmobile hydroboost pump and changed housing since they had smoother steering

jelly69

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 liter
It has the stainless hose on it already under the core, however I've been looking into mounting another trans cooler for my powersteering.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Check that your belt alignment is within spec (both angular and offset).

The belt that drives the P/S pump is often way out of alignment. This is mostly due to the way that the mounting bracket interfaces with the block.

Unless all the correct spacers and brackets are in place, it is difficult to get (and keep) the P/S pump sheave in line with the fan clutch/water pump sheave.

Any mis-alignment in the belting will place the pump's input shaft and rotating assembly under a constant excessive load. Leads to premature failure.

Here is the way it was mounted when it came from the factory (if you don't have an A/C compressor, ignore the group in the lower right hand corner):

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486