Power Steering Pump Reservoir Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1980/1984 Frankenstein
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hello,

So I got a new pump for the 305 and the mounting bracket does not fix the pump. The resivior needs to be moved slightly to make it line up. I have never taken one of these apart and wondered how one would adjust this thing? It is pressure fitted? There are no bolts on the back like others ive seen.

Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes, remove the pressure fitting, spring, valve and any other bolts on the back. Body can be lightly tapped off or twisted. Don't know if a reflection or camera angle but appears the body is bent on front.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Is that a rebuilt pump or brand new? It looks like a rebuilt, repainted old pump.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Take it back, get your money back. Buy a better pump. The seal doesn't look right from you picture either. Tell them it is assembled wrong. If nothing better, at lease swap it for another from NAPA.

Also, you should not squeeze the pump reservoir. It seals with one large "O" ring. Clamping in the vise could bend the sheet metal making a leak.

Last edited:

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I agree ,try returning under warranty at see if you get a better unit and check it closely and see if it will work

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Hello,

So I got a new pump for the 305 and the mounting bracket does not fix the pump. The resivior needs to be moved slightly to make it line up. I have never taken one of these apart and wondered how one would adjust this thing? It is pressure fitted? There are no bolts on the back like others ive seen.

Thanks!

What is the part number on your NAPA pump? I've been looking for one like that at NAPA and they haven't been able to find it. The return line and reservoir attachments are just what I need. My truck is a 78 and I think I would also have to reclock the pump but please let me know what the part number is.

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1980/1984 Frankenstein
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
What is the part number on your NAPA pump? I've been looking for one like that at NAPA and they haven't been able to find it. The return line and reservoir attachments are just what I need. My truck is a 78 and I think I would also have to reclock the pump but please let me know what the part number is.

I ended up taking it back for a replacement and that one too was not right so they finally found one that matched my mounting bracket but now my issue is I cant get the return line to seat as if its not the correct fitting so stuck there now lol. Arg! the only number on it is 31932245p but google does not show much. Who knew it would be so damn hard to get a power steering pump for an old 305 chevy. Geez..

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I ended up taking it back for a replacement and that one too was not right so they finally found one that matched my mounting bracket but now my issue is I cant get the return line to seat as if its not the correct fitting so stuck there now lol. Arg! the only number on it is 31932245p but google does not show much. Who knew it would be so damn hard to get a power steering pump for an old 305 chevy. Geez..
I think I finally located the proper pump and ordered it from Jegs. The part number is A7023.

The pump I ordered, based on the image they publish with the part number, has a return line that goes underneath the pump and toward the front, a press on pulley, the right fitting for the pressure line (I forget what they call it but it doesn't need an O-ring), and the pump is clocked at 30/45 (?) degrees instead of straight across.

I guess I'll see if it's the right pump when I get it. I haven't had much luck ordering parts lately, online or at brick and mortar stores.

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1980/1984 Frankenstein
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I think I finally located the proper pump and ordered it from Jegs. The part number is A7023.

The pump I ordered, based on the image they publish with the part number, has a return line that goes underneath the pump and toward the front, a press on pulley, the right fitting for the pressure line (I forget what they call it but it doesn't need an O-ring), and the pump is clocked at 30/45 (?) degrees instead of straight across.

I guess I'll see if it's the right pump when I get it. I haven't had much luck ordering parts lately, online or at brick and mortar stores.

The line on mine does have the o ring but the pump I have I think is the type to not require it. Not as deep for sure. So I was thinking I could figure out what line I need and possibly get it going that way vs looking for a different pump.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The line on mine does have the o ring but the pump I have I think is the type to not require it. Not as deep for sure. So I was thinking I could figure out what line I need and possibly get it going that way vs looking for a different pump.
Do you still have your old pump? Just swap the relief valve (fitting the hose goes to) from your old pump to the replacement.

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1980/1984 Frankenstein
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Do you still have your old pump? Just swap the relief valve (fitting the hose goes to) from your old pump to the replacement.

Turned it in as a core so its long gone. I wish I kept it to compare more to the others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag