Power Steering Pump Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
From under showing the loops, I plan to tie both lines together once everything is finalized
You must be registered for see images attach

Underside showing how my lines hook up

Top side showing the lines

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Talking with Dad he said some of the GMT400 trucks had variable steering of some sort. Those ones used a different fitting in the pump, he said if that’s part of your issue that the fittings in the pump are all interchangeable so you can swap it out for one with the other style fitting

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
MAN is that close to the pulley - lol

I still have the end - going to see if there is someway to make it go. THX!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
MAN is that close to the pulley - lol

I still have the end - going to see if there is someway to make it go. THX!
It’s not too bad, the belt is hanging loose right now

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I’m assuming you have this pump, this is the pump from my BIL’s ‘97 I bought him when he turned 16. The extra electronics are for the variable steering pressure option which we deleted.

Here is one like mine from one of our spare vortecs, the only difference is the fitting highlighted in orange which can be swapped out with just about any other GM pump.

And here is a better shot of the pulley clearance, almost two fingers worth. I have big hands BTW. It’s a long ways away on the back side.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the pics @CalSgt - cant take a pic of mine because I completely removed the left side accessory bracket (to get a better look at it). The return line tube hits the pressure hose but I think can be tweaked a bit out of the way. Thats the plan ATM anyways.

Does that bracket on the back have any purpose?

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I can’t remember what I did but it wasn’t very complicated IIRC.

I’ll get some pictures in a bit.

Also, the GMT400 has the gear box inside the frame because the frame is about a foot wider than the squares. Square has narrow frame & saddle bag gas tanks, late 90’s had a great big tank inside the frame rail, and 4x4 IFS needed the wider frame so the control arms would not be too long.
I also believe that the class action lawsuit against GM in regards to the exploding fuel tank upon a massive side impact contributed to that frame change & fuel tank re-location.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Does that bracket on the back have any purpose?
IDK I think it is kinda like the rear bracket on the alternator, takes some of the stress off of the aluminum and keeps it from twisting.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IDK I think it is kinda like the rear bracket on the alternator, takes some of the stress off of the aluminum and keeps it from twisting.

Yep.

In order to do intake gaskets on a vortec engine, you have to remove the bolts from the accessory bracket and slide it away from the engine, which involves loosening that support bracket. Many times I've done intake gaskets, that support bracket was already loose from someone messing with it in the past. I've never seen any damage from that bracket being loose, so it must be fine to run without it.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep.

In order to do intake gaskets on a vortec engine, you have to remove the bolts from the accessory bracket and slide it away from the engine, which involves loosening that support bracket. Many times I've done intake gaskets, that support bracket was already loose from someone messing with it in the past. I've never seen any damage from that bracket being loose, so it must be fine to run without it.
Its got that goofy U shaped piece that looks like it needs a hose to hold on to (sounds kinky). Just looks in the way to me. I wont use it but wont toss it either.

THX

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Its got that goofy U shaped piece that looks like it needs a hose to hold on to (sounds kinky). Just looks in the way to me. I wont use it but wont toss it either.

THX

Oh, that one down at the bottom? I actually don't recall what that one does. But the one up higher, it's just a slotted mount so it can be removed by just loosening the bolt. It's not easy to access in an Express or Astro.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

THX

Not sure I’m tracking on the U shaped part, are you talking about one of these?

The top one bolts to the block just below the head, the lower one bolts to the front of the block just above the pan rail.

The orange circle is where the U bracket bolts and the green one is where the aluminum bracket bolts

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

The top one bolts to the block just below the head, the lower one bolts to the front of the block just above the pan rail.

The orange circle is where the U bracket bolts and the green one is where the aluminum bracket bolts

Yep.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yeah, I don't remember that lower part of the mount. Been out of the game for nearly 10 years now, guess I'm starting to forget some things I used to know.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yeah, I don't remember that lower part of the mount. Been out of the game for nearly 10 years now, guess I'm starting to forget some things I used to know.
LOL... It's like riding a bike Sir, I'm sure you would go straight to work and not even think about every detail because it would be automatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg