Opinions on cutting out catalytic converters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
It was based on GVW. To oversimplify, 1/2 tons got converters in 1975, while 3/4 ton up did not. They tightened it up in 1979, so most of the Heavy Half/Big 10 packages that pushed a 1/2 ton into 3/4 ton territory, no longer could meet emissions without a catalyst. As was stated, most GM vehicles over 8600GVW (I think that's the number) got by without a converter through 1986.

Yeah '75 was the year of the cat for GM on all cars and 1/2 tons. Then they figured out that they did not to have to have them on 1/2 tons by and large. As an example, our 77 K10 Suburban had factory duals, burned regular, and no cats.

By 79 I believe the cats were mandatory for the 1/2 tons.

Regular gas - what a concept.

:(

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That pretty much dismisses the notion of a plugged up cat. I drove a Ford Aerostar (stop laughing) with melted down converters once, and it would actually lose speed if you kicked it into passing gear. Basically anything that increased flow through the exhaust (rpm, opening throttle) would make it fall flat on its face, while it made sounds like someone jammed a potato in the tailpipe.
You must be registered for see images attach

thats all there is about ford needed

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah '75 was the year of the cat for GM on all cars and 1/2 tons. Then they figured out that they did not to have to have them on 1/2 tons by and large. As an example, our 77 K10 Suburban had factory duals, burned regular, and no cats.

that too is important. leaded gas vehicles were holdouts which obviously would be no-no for cats

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No problem passing inspection using this approach!!!
honestly the way to go almost would be to live somewhere with lax dmv laws register vehicle put plates that never need renewal or label it historical then never establish your residency legally in the smog-testing place you live and just skirt wheel tax, smog testing, tags, having a drivers license in that state(if diff), never exposing yourself to fraud by never voting or doing anything drastic to draw attention, etc.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305

I'm actually just old enough to remember leaded fuel.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I mean Unless trucks are different the rate of flashing on the CEL if you put it in Field Service Mode, and blinking two and one half times per second tells you it's in Open Loop, and if it's blinking once per second, it's in Closed loop. I guess thats oxygen sensor feedback in a way. crude but directly correlated. I wish when reading the OBD1 codes the Electric Fan on gm cars with electric fans didnt go to full speed during it. Its annoying. helpful. annoying.
It seems like nobody remembers this anymore. I'm glad to see someone else talk about that function than me.

Also with your clarification I understand what your saying about 1999 for OBD2, I simply misinterpreted what you had said before.

And yes Ford sux... lol

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
A tank of AV Gas is good for the truck (and soul) once in a while!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Cats are worth the cash if you find the right guy... and i dont mean no yayhoo on fb marketplace buying them. I cashed out 6 of them i had, and scored 700$
Thats not too good...

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Working in a scrap yard i will tell you.... most people dont realize theres many different kinds of cats and values on them based on the year, material used in them, vehicles it came from and current market values and situations. There is a pay to play app called ecocat that most people use thatll give you a decent idea. Just as an idea.... the 90s gm cars that used the "bread loaf" cats usually pay pretty high, while old "bead " style cats like @Goldie Driver do not. Most people think a huge DPF filter off a diesel is big cash due to size and its almost always useless because of what its made from.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Working in a scrap yard i will tell you.... most people dont realize theres many different kinds of cats and values on them based on the year, material used in them, vehicles it came from and current market values and situations. There is a pay to play app called ecocat that most people use thatll give you a decent idea. Just as an idea.... the 90s gm cars that used the "bread loaf" cats usually pay pretty high, while old "bead " style cats like @Goldie Driver do not. Most people think a huge DPF filter off a diesel is big cash due to size and its almost always useless because of what its made from.

For us, I'd think the bead styles would be worth more since you could put one on empty and pass a visual if your state requires it.

Just saying...

:anitoof:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
For us, I'd think the bead styles would be worth more since you could put one on empty and pass a visual if your state requires it.

Just saying...

:anitoof:
My 94 burb exhaust broke off at the cat, i rammed a pipe through and welded it back together. It has a cat.... RIGHT? lol. My first s10 had a bead style cat and it blew the beads out the pipe for a week, peppering all i passed lol! I was about 20 at the time and thought it was funny so i took a snack baggie full of them to keep. My dad said they were chevy seeds and it was reproducing its species lol. I actually still have that bag full lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
is this the bread loaf kind?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hold up! Don't you own a Furd pickup, too? *laughing*
i have owned previous furds and my f150 is a furd yes and i will be driving it soon to the incinerator I have it loaded and the trailer loaded and its time to pay the county less than 40 dollars for 2 truck beds full of trash, one of them a tall topper enclosed so quite a bit of cubic feet of trash and we will see how much weight, im guessing close or more than my last large load which was 600 pounds ish. The two front discs and the one rear drum kinda ish will get a workout today LOL
thank god for the coast clutch and e4od because that has a lot of drag just being a C6 wiith a overdrive hugging the rear of it basically (not just that but functionally)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1