One window works-ish, the other doesn't

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albertan85

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Fenderside
Engine Size
350 5.7 Litre
Okay, before I go order new stuff from LMC and get charged through the nose with border fees (perks of being Canadian) I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas or can point me to a thread... Here's what's going on:

The passenger window:
It works, although quite slowly and the poor motor sounds like it's labouring quite hard or not getting enough juice. She goes down about 1/5th of the way before the motor can't do any more work. Both the passenger and driver side switches that control that window work.

The driver window:
Nada. She don't do poo.

What I've tried:
I jiggled the wires around which fixed my power door locks so I tucked and taped those wires in place.

Any ideas of how I can remedy this or what I need to order?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Need new window motors is what it sounds like to me. Before you order from LMC, though, and pay for the shipping to Canada you SHOULD be able to get new window motors from your local auto parts stores so you might check there first. Will probably save you money and will be the same thing.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Could just need lubrication too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Could just need lubrication too.

That's true. Definitely try that first and can't hurt anyway when you put the new motors in (assuming at least one is needing replaced)

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's true. Definitely try that first and can't hurt anyway when you put the new motors in (assuming at least one is needing replaced)
When I first bought my 86 only 1 out of the 4 windows would actually make it up and down and it was very slow, after greasing up all the tracks and silicone spray all the felts they all worked like normal, when I sold it 7 yrs later they were all still working good.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
When I first bought my 86 only 1 out of the 4 windows would actually make it up and down and it was very slow, after greasing up all the tracks and silicone spray all the felts they all worked like normal, when I sold it 7 yrs later they were all still working good.

Well ok :) I've never had that kind of luck! :bawl:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well ok :) I've never had that kind of luck! :bawl:
Well, I only done it once so I may have been lucky, lol. Of course all the doors were in good shape nothing all bent up, that could have made a difference too..

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Lubing the slides helps on both manual and power windows. I used to do it often. White litium was my favorite lube for this.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I just replaced the passenger side electric window motor. The oem unit was old and tired to the point where it barely had enough ooomph to get the window up when down any little bit. The new motor definately made a difference. Lube the tracks first, then the spring, but more than likely its the motor that is the issue. I purchased mine from a local autoparts store...it was $30 with a lifetime replacement warranty. I could have purchased off E bay, but without a warranty, it just wasn't worth the risk. Most of the time the Ebay units are cheap knock off parts. The inner track and lifting arm can also be replaced if it seems to bind of make a rinding noise. The entire unit (motor and arms) can be removed from the inner door through the large square opening behind the plastic panel. You will also need to remove the metal brace and the door lever mechanism in order to remove the window mechanism. Its much easier to access the connecting hardware between the motor and the lifting arms with the entire unit out of the door. It took me awhile to figure out how to finagle the entire mechanism out of the door, but it can be done. Patience is key.

Also be aware that when the motor is connected to the lifting mechanism...it is under slight tension. Keep track of your fingers! Mark the position of the arms in relation to the motor before you seperate the two...the new motor needs to be set back the same way in order to get it lined up when back in the door.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wiring them up with relays makes a world of difference on how they go up and down too..

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Wiring them up with relays makes a world of difference on how they go up and down too..

Hmmmmm....relays huh. Ive I've always wanted freaky fast windows. Do you have a wiring diagram?:popcorn:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Geez that was fast...thanks. With the relays added, how much faster will they operate?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Twice as fast since now they'll have full 12 volt power.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sounds like a sensible upgrade...and yet another project to tinker with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris