83 pwr window doors on 78 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Got a 78 Silverado with factory pwr windows but not door locks. Doors were in kinda poor shape when I got a deal on a pair of 82 or 83 ( I think ) doors with pwr windows and door locks. I've only mounted the driver's side door and replaced the window motor. Jut not sure how to proceed getting the window motor working. The door harnesses are different and I need help getting it all working. It appears the 78 window switch only had 5 wires. One red hot wire in and 2 wires to each door going out. Blue and black were hot to driver's side when switch was pushed up or down. Brown and blue w/white stripe were hot for passenger door window when switch pushed up or down.
The 83 door harness has a lot more wires to accommodate the door locks and different set up for the newer windows. It appears the 83 motor harness switches polarity on the 2 wires to the motor to raise or lower windows.
The 83 harness wires are:
1. a combined grey and brown wire that run to the door lock.
2.black
3.blue with white stripe
4.pink
5.orange with black stripe
6.small gauge light blue
7.tan
8.black with white stripe
I tried studying some of the available wiring schematics but being a senior citizen my eyes aren't the best. And the schematics i saw were difficult to figure out.
It's probable that someone here has already done it but I couldn't find anything.
I'd appreciate any help and guidance the experts here can offer.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Page 31

My eyes ain't the best either.

Redneck Poet

Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
So I got the pwr window working on the driver's side door. After studying the wiring schematic (and some serious squinting!) I was able to use the original 78 red with white stripe switched wire by joining it to the 83 pink wire already in the door. Then grounded the black 83 wire and it works great. Now I gotta squint some more to figure out the electric door locks. Mine didn't come with them so it'll be a challenge for someone electrically challenged. From the schematics it appears the door locks use a relay and is more complicated than the windows. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes