Not sure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’m not quite sure what this is for. I know it’s something to do with speed it nor the cluster were installed when I got the truck. Any advice I’m a little new to this
You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Assuming you are asking about the rectangular component at the bottom of the image - correct? If so:

That is the VSS sensor (actually called a VSS buffer/amplifier). It is just a device that converts the mechanical signal generated by the speedometer cable to a pulsed electronic signal. That electronic signal is then sent to the ECU which uses it to control things like TCC operation.

If your old cluster didn't have one, you can safely remove it.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
GM calls that box a Vehicle Speed Signal Buffer (VSSB). The black plastic piece screwed into the back of the speed head is an optical sensor. The VSSB amplifies the optical sensor signal to a level that the Cruise III cruise control module and Early TBI can interpret.

Specifically how it works is...
A reflective blade and optical pickup mount is integrated into all GM CK & RV Light Truck speedometer heads starting in 1981 and ending in 1989 or 1990.
The reflective blade in the speedometer rotates, when the speedo cable turns, with its blades passing through a light beam from an LED in the optical sensor head.
When the rotating reflective blade enters the LED light beam light is reflected back to a photocell in the optic head.
The photocell in the sensor emits a raw low level speed signal to be sent to the VSSB for amplification and signal conditioning.
This amplified and conditioned signal is then sent to the buffer output terminals for the TBI ECM and Cruise III Module.
I believe it's a 2,000 pulse per mile signal.

If you don't have cruise control... I'd just tie it out of the way when you install the cluster. It won't hurt anything.

Last edited:

JGSR66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerrie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Going to go with out it no cc
Thank you