Clutch pedal not fully returning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dezzracer

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hello all.
The clutch pedal on 76 GMC K 10 sticks on return at the free play point near the top. I can pull it up with my toe after each depress but it’s annoying. Both return springs are in place and zirk grease fitting on clutch bar under truck has been filled with grease. It appears the pedal has been replaced at some point as it looks new compared to the brake pedal but it’s cocked to the left and almost hits the floor dim switch when fully depressed so I’m thinking it’s not the correct pedal. We have already replaced the upper pedal bushings as well.

I’ve searched for a new pedal and apparently there is none to be had. All I can find are rusted up used complete pedal box assemblies that look like they might be worse than what I have. My mechanic believes the issue is the upper pedal assembly itself. Any thoughts or advice on my problem would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After replacing top bushing is it still sloppy side to side or binding? Recently had same, but the smaller spring broke a was straight forward. Even a little bind will negate the small spring force.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How good are the cab mount bushings? Have actually seen the bushings be so worn the cab moved front to back instead of releasing the clutch.

Dezzracer

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
After replacing top bushing is it still sloppy side to side or binding? Recently had same, but the smaller spring broke a was straight forward. Even a little bind will negate the small spring force.
Yes I still have side to side slop

Dezzracer

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
How good are the cab mount bushings? Have actually seen the bushings be so worn the cab moved front to back instead of releasing the clutch.
Cab bushings are all new. This was pretty much a total frame off restoration although some older parts were reused, such as the clutch and brake pedal box and linkage.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9039.jpeg
    IMG_9039.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8712.jpeg
    IMG_8712.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 39

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes I still have side to side slop
Either the bushing is incorrect, the bracket is wallowed or broken or the pedal lever is worn out. Should be no side to side.

Kevin James

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I’m having the same issue. I have an 81 c30 and previous ownership swapped an nv4500. I’m no expert, but the clutch pedal has to be pressed almost to the floor in order to start/change the gears and pedal returns halfway up. I also use my toe to flick it up all the way.. this doesn’t seem normal.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
If the clutch doesn't release until the pedal is almost on the floor, the clutch is way out of adjustment.. Adjust for about 1" free travel at the top..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad