no fluid to right caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I know the proportioning valve balances the fluid front to back but can a bad valve block fluid to right front caliper? Fluid gets to the rears. Master cylinder leaked and I replaced it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
An internally swollen brake hose can do exactly this in some cases, or it’ll act as a check valve in other cases and cause the caliper to stick. A serious debris impaction could also, but my money’s on the hose. I’m assuming you tried to bleed the brakes? If you undo the hose at the banjo fitting to find no fluid, but you undo it at the steel line, and it drips consistently, you have your answer on that one. If you try this, though, make sure you have two fresh crush washers for the reassembly regardless of what happens or what needs to be replaced.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
An internally swollen brake hose can do exactly this in some cases, or it’ll act as a check valve in other cases and cause the caliper to stick. A serious debris impaction could also, but my money’s on the hose. I’m assuming you tried to bleed the brakes? If you undo the hose at the banjo fitting to find no fluid, but you undo it at the steel line, and it drips consistently, you have your answer on that one. If you try this, though, make sure you have two fresh crush washers for the reassembly regardless of what happens or what needs to be replaced.
the shop that did my brake lines on my car double washered the caliper instead of the usual 2 it takes, it had 4. they used then a really long banjo bolt that DID NOT properly place the opening where it needed to be.

Crush washers are cheap and easy, yes.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Was the truck sitting for a long time? As stated above, the rubber on an old brake hose can collapse making it hard for fluid to pass. Usually it will create a check valve that causes the caliper to stick because the fluid cannot leave once it is pumped into the piston after you release the pedal. But it is possible to go the other way around. What does the fluid look like? It should be nearly clear, a little yellowish. If it's black it means you have rotted rubber mixed in...

Hell, even if the truck wasn't sitting that long, on a 40+ year old truck it's possible the line failed regardless. Or the caliper might just be shot. Or there could still be a ton of air in there after replacing the master cylinder, try bleeding it a LOT, if the line filled with air but had a little left at the end it might have looked somewhat normal at first when bleeding the lines, but in reality it could still need a whole lot more

curse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'll unhook the hose where I have metal line and see what happens. It did sit over 3 years. When I unhooked the line from the caliper I expected some fluid, even if not a lot, but I didn't get 1 drop. With the line unhooked I had my neighbor push the pedal and there was still nothing.

I was curious if the valve could cause this but will check the rubber line first. Thanks guys.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Same thing happened to me on a vehicle that sat for 15 years. The driver front line was totally swollen shut, and it’d yank to the right when braking.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
After sitting for years I had brake calipers that couldn’t release. Step by step working through the hydraulic system by cracking open the bleeder and then back down the line I determined it to be the hoses. Replaced and worked fine but then also changed calipers. I cut the old brake hoses and tried to poke a wire through and found the plugged spot to be where the clamp is that bolts to the upper a arm. I think the clamp rusts next to the rubber and swells up and squeezes the hose off. Hoses looked fine on the outside but no flow on the inside.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
More than likely it's the rubber line.

I've had trucks that pulled to one direction or the other when braking, thought it to be a caliper, I learned it's actually a bad brake line, for instance if it pulls to the right in some cases, it's the left side brake line, it's just swelling up and not supplying fluid to the caliper.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
More than likely it's the rubber line.

I've had trucks that pulled to one direction or the other when braking, thought it to be a caliper, I learned it's actually a bad brake line, for instance if it pulls to the right in some cases, it's the left side brake line, it's just swelling up and not supplying fluid to the caliper.
My F150 has this atm. new hoses and clips in hand, just gotta do it.

Jethro224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
...found the plugged spot to be where the clamp is that bolts to the upper a arm. I think the clamp rusts next to the rubber and swells up and squeezes the hose off. Hoses looked fine on the outside but no flow on the inside.

Back when I usta be a mechanic I "fixed" several hoses by slightly prying the bracket open.
It might get you home but I'd still replace the hose asap when that happens.

79Square

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1L 250
I agree, it's most likely the hose. The prop valve will shut off both front or both rear. I had the same problem, the previous owner changed pads, shoes and hoses, except the front right hose. It had blocked off. The reason is that the hose to line connection is very hard to get to, and they were too lazy to replace. It's hard to get a good wrench on to disconnect it at the frame. I ended up cutting the hose and twisting out the connector (hose side) through the frame. The new hose fixed the problem.

curse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Makes sense, i've never seen or had a hose go bad by swelling. Maybe I finally will.

curse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It was the hose, what a pain in the butt when it's rusty

Mossyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 1 BBL
It was the hose, what a pain in the butt when it's rusty
Just replaced the left front on mine yesterday. After putting the new one on I cut the old one to see where it had stopped up. It was somewhere around the bracket. Mine had sat for 10 years so I’m assuming all the corrosion got to it and caused it to fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1