New/used transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Just going by what you said I would guess the reverse fork didnt go in the groove on the syncronizer hub, but behind it instead. The fork can push it into reverse but without being in the groove, cant pull it out of reverse. Just speculation, havent looked in one in many years. If it felt like the shifter didnt go all the way down when going into reverse but still went in anyway I would feel more like that's what happened. But when trying to get it out of reverse was the stick moving freely or did it feel like it was stuck?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Your spot on about the reverse fork, When the trans is in neutral and you turn the input shaft the transmission goes backwards so I know the reverse gear is engaged. I just cant figure out what could be keeping the shifter fork from traveling far enough for the top to come off.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Seems like I remembered a problem like that. Granny low and reverse are "unsynched" and can be a bitch to get in gear, sometimes requiring the clutch to be let out just a little before it will fall in. You may have to twist the input or output shaft back and forth while tring to lift the top off. An extra pair of hands wouldnt hurt, maybe have someone twist the input while you lift the top, and maybe try to slide it forward or backward, wiggle the shifter, cross your eyes, tap your foot, etc. lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Seems like I remembered a problem like that. Granny low and reverse are "unsynched" and can be a bitch to get in gear, sometimes requiring the clutch to be let out just a little before it will fall in. You may have to twist the input or output shaft back and forth while tring to lift the top off. An extra pair of hands wouldnt hurt, maybe have someone twist the input while you lift the top, and maybe try to slide it forward or backward, wiggle the shifter, cross your eyes, tap your foot, etc. lol

Im starting to wonder if the reverse gear somehow ended up behind the fork. The only part that should be holding the lid from coming off is that reverse fork. On second thought that is impossible since the transmission is stuck in reverse.
In the morning I will definitely try wiggling the input shaft while hitting reverse.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Im starting to wonder if the reverse gear somehow ended up behind the fork. The only part that should be holding the lid from coming off is that reverse fork. On second thought that is impossible since the transmission is stuck in reverse.
In the morning I will definitely try wiggling the input shaft while hitting reverse.
and cross your eyes and tap your foot !!! C4 didn't specify which foot, I'd get back with him to find out for sure before you start in the morning. :grd:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
HAHA Im done screwing with it for now. If they made long enough sawzall blades I would just saw the reverse fork off, that would satisfy me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahh, that sucks. Still haven't got it huh??? Have you at least got the top back off of it yet? Or is it still bound up?

I've been in situation like this before where I got so frustrated with it, I couldn't see the forest from the trees, and was misssing all the minor things it could be. Did what you are doing now. Give up for a day, chill out for a day, then back at with a whole new set of patience, and the understanding I just might not get it, which kept me from getting frustrated again, and then all of a sudden 20 minutes later, DAMN, that's all it was??? I coulda had this 3 days ago !!! Just let it rest a bit.

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I just picked up a new floor jack, Jack stands and transmission adapter so I figure I will pull the old one out and look inside for a reference of what could be stuck in my new trannie. Do you think im going to need to pull my transmission hump out?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just picked up a new floor jack, Jack stands and transmission adapter so I figure I will pull the old one out and look inside for a reference of what could be stuck in my new trannie. Do you think im going to need to pull my transmission hump out?
If you can reasonably get the hump, it would sure make it much eaiser, but I doubt you have to take it out. I loved working on my 64 GMC 3/4 and 62 Chev 1/2 cuz they had removable humps. Soooo much easier to work on. And let me make a suggestion here. If you can pull your hump out, take the top off of yoru old and leave it in the truck to see if you can figure out the other first. This way, if you don't get the new one figured out, put the cover back on the old one, and you are not without wheels that way, otherwise, you'd have to put the old right back in. This is of course, if you can get the top off with the hump out of the way, I am not sure how far the hump goes, or how far the trans top goes on SB's. I know my 64, I coudl take the top off of the top loaded Granny 4 speed.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I finally got off my ass and worked on it today, as my luck would have it... one of the home owners association workers was making his rounds and caught me while I was under the truck. Not much time left now.

All I have left to do is pull the exhaust from the manifolds to catalytic converter, Break loose the 4 bolts going into the bell housing and drop the transmission out.
I discovered I can not remove the trans hump on the floor board of my cab.

I think the jack stands I got are to short, can I safely put them on the highest notch possible?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohh NO. One of those HOA neighborhoods where you can't even change your own oil in your own driveway??? And I think I got it bad??? Sorry to hear that.
So have you got the trans figured out? I'll have to check out the thread maybe I missed something.
Uh oh. Did you get the 3ton stands or the 6ton? Is your truck not a 4x4??? I think its only the 4x4 that have the removeable humps. No telling, that could also be differant according to year model too.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Ohh NO. One of those HOA neighborhoods where you can't even change your own oil in your own driveway??? And I think I got it bad??? Sorry to hear that.
So have you got the trans figured out? I'll have to check out the thread maybe I missed something.
Uh oh. Did you get the 3ton stands or the 6ton? Is your truck not a 4x4??? I think its only the 4x4 that have the removeable humps. No telling, that could also be differant according to year model too.

Believe it or not its a HOA for a ****** apartment complex literally in the center of what the police determined is the worse 2 blocks in Reno Nevada. I Out smarted those snooty sons of bitches i think, Im just pulling it out at night using my flashlight that straps to my forehead.

The trans still has the lid stuck on, Im putting that off until the very end for some reason.

I screwed up and got the 3 tons, I have to keep them since the box got destroyed and I lost the recipe, damn it. They work fine for getting the tire a couple inches off the ground. I think I will just pick up a couple Cinder blocks tomorrow and put them under the tires.

Its a 4x4 and the hump is definetly not removable, I was surprised.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Believe it or not its a HOA for a ****** apartment complex literally in the center of what the police determined is the worse 2 blocks in Reno Nevada. I Out smarted those snooty sons of bitches i think, Im just pulling it out at night using my flashlight that straps to my forehead.

The trans still has the lid stuck on, Im putting that off until the very end for some reason.

I screwed up and got the 3 tons, I have to keep them since the box got destroyed and I lost the recipe, damn it. They work fine for getting the tire a couple inches off the ground. I think I will just pick up a couple Cinder blocks tomorrow and put them under the tires.

Its a 4x4 and the hump is definetly not removable, I was surprised.

No worries on the jack stands. Hopefully you got them on sale, and they didn't cost that much, no more than $20 I hope. I think I've seen the 3ton on sale for $12.99 or $14.99 can't recall now. But it seems I got the 6 Tons for $18.99 or something like that on sale, also can't recall for sure. But, there is a big dfference in the 6 ton over the 3 ton. I usually tell eveyone don't waste you money on the 3 tons if you are buying them to work on trucks. They are great for working on cars but not trucks that set up higher. Believe it or not, I don't like cinder blocks for boosting jack stands. I have seen an edge of a jackstand dig into the side of a cinder bock, to the point it cracked it, then collapsed. I wouldn't have beleived it if I didn't see it myself. I've been known to keep the jackstand on solid contrete and put a 4x4 block or 4x6 block on top of the jackstand in a safe locaton and that works.
I remember now, you were gonna pull the old one apart first and see what you could figure out on the new/used one.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Im planning on putting the cinder blocks under the front tires, I think thats the safest route and should get my truck off the ground at least 8 inches or so.

I worked on it last night and decided working on it at night is the best way to go, with any luck I could be pulling out the transmission tonight.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bummer when you gotta go into stealth mode to work on your ride. But, we do what we have to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06