New From Maryland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krausmotorsport

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Good Morning from the East Coast!

To the good ole days:

Having a long family history with the love of Squrebody's, I think it's fair to show my story and my love affair with these trucks and one specifically. We have a decent fleet of squares still and it's always been a family affair. My dad, Dave Kraus Jr. started it with his Red/White Short bed Scottsdale 86 Known as "Wingnuts" amongst his friends and family. The Red/White found this name through his friends as a result of playing around on the weekends in his one car garage and showing up to work on Monday with a different engine. In the time he had the truck it had everything from the original 305 which was replaced within weeks of him buying it 2 years used in '89. After the 305 was removed it had 2 different 427's, a 454, back to a built 350 then a 396, a 400 and sometime in between a 383. Probably using the 400 crank from the 350 if I had to guess. And then regrettably sold it to a lady Named Mrs. June with a very mild 350 who later surfaces in this small story. I think he did this to help offset cost to build the new house in 1993 while putting me through private school and my brother getting ready to start kindergarten.
Most of the time the multiple powerplants pushed through a 400turbo and 12 bolt truck rear after the factory 10 blew on the first 427. Back then you could swap out engines in a single bay garage with a 30 pack and some friends in one night. No cell phones, no TV's no electric impacts. Just a old Radio and no distractions. Go out and rip all night with the new power plant. Then the next day, with moms station wagon not having a battery because dad borrowed it for the truck. We would have no option but to take the truck only to loose the driveshaft 200 ft down the road. Still smelling of cigars from my grandfather, Dave Kraus Sr. who would go on these grand nightly adventures with my dad always let me know it was a good night. This was the norm and mom "usually" laughed it off. Oh The good ole days. Me being born in 84 I was old enough to fall in love with this truck at 5 years old. The only thing I didn't like and dad laughed at was the "pocket books" as I called them behind the seat.
After the truck was sold, it was talked about around the family and friends in the neighborhood that remembering hearing it rip up the streets. Fast forward a Decade and a half later on our way home from towing my Wife's newly acquired 86 Short Bed Scottsdale from Kinston NC back to MD, a old neighbor hood friend called and said he seen my dad's old truck next to a house sitting in tall grass. Tired and exhausted from bringing the wife's square home on a Saturday, the next day we still managed to scour the neighborhood in hopes to find it. And the feeling of finding a pot of gold we finally found it. After a few weeks of asking they finally decided to sell us back the old truck. Mrs. June who still owned it and was in her 70's at the time took the tags off after her son in law blew the transmission. But now we finally came back full circle and now it's mine. On the back of the tittle I wrote "Never" in the sellers spot. Dad knowing he wasn't ever getting his old truck back from me, he went and found another 2 tone 86 Short bed which is now today getting it's frame off restoration and another Big Block Powerplant. So My wife, dad and myself had 3 '86 Short bed Scottsdale's from the same plant and 3 months within their build dates. However we Sold the wife's offset some funds and now we are searching for a 73-79 K5 Blazer to replace her short bed.
A few months ago I added a new addition to the family, I brought home a 86 C30 Crew Dually 2wd with 93k and a piston knock. Now that we have a 2 year and a little boy on the way the crew will fit in quiet well with a new 454 being built, a 4l80e swap and a nice drop and some alcoa's. We hope to hit some of the big shows with them and my red and white resembling a similar build close to the BIG RED CAMARO. Loud, obnoxious and just overall a blast to drive with hopes to run on multi-purpose events. In the meantime we are currently setting up our 56 Belair 4d HT for baby seats as our cruiser and long time restoration of the wife's '68 dodge charger. For some that love story's and enjoy reading I thought I'd give a solid introduction which seems to be subpar in most introductory groups in forum groups. Trying to get away from the main stream media like Facebook and get back the the roots of the original forums.

Cheers!

Dave Kraus III
You must be registered for see images attach

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Welcome from "not too far from Kinston" NC.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Really like the 56 ..................with the new "hood" ornament.......lol

born2Run83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC - C1500
Engine Size
5.3L LM7
Welcome from West TX! And very cool story! I’m your age. Similar too with having my dad owNing a couple squarebody trucks in my younger days. Long beds but still. Very solid trucks. Glad to see you’re keeping it alive!

Krausmotorsport

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Welcome from "not too far from Kinston" NC.
Thanks! yea that was a drive! Nice little town. Glad we didn't drive her Black 86 back home. Because once we got it home and within 10 miles the rockers started making noise finding out the guy never changed the oil in the thing. I had to buy all new pushrods they were so clogged up.
Really like the 56 ..................with the new "hood" ornament.......lol
Hahaha! thanks! she isn't so bad and is against the selling toys when kids come. In fact we are trying to sell our 2022 Gladiator so she can get back into a 73-79 K5. So keep eyes and ears peeled. LOL
Howdy from Ohio!

I was trying to figure out how much horsepower she might equate to, lol.
I don't know how much she might equate to, but I know how much of it she will use! hahaha

Also thanks everyone for the official welcome. I just never posted but lurked.

Krausmotorsport

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
One thing I didn't want to mention on the official post was we are trying to find a set of Doors, Fenders, Hood, and 6' bed for my dad's 86 frame off. The shop he took it to who was a personal friend and did a lot of high end stuff, got mixed up with some bad people quick and overnight ditched and took every thing. Not just ours but about 20 other cars and trucks. Parts and deposits all included and went MIA for a while. Just heard in the news he was back at it with building pools and did the same thing. Was a friend growing up and just did a total 180*. Sad, so now we are searching again to get his back on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii