New or used carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I threw away a 4150 at 7-11 once but then again, I bought it used ($100) and it cost me that drag race.
/shrug
:shrug:
LONG time ago.

Last carburetor I bought was an SA 670.
Wish ida bought the 770, just sayin.

The best carburetor I ever owned was a 795 quadrajet.
Hands down.

:(
Wish I still had it but I fvcked it up grindin on it.

I like Holleys because they are fun to play with and the parts are cheap and easy to get. Lots of tune-ability

Plus they are FAST!

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Can't beat a good Quadrajet imo.

That's why GM put them on. Fixing to pull the Edelbrock off the BBC and replace it with the Quadrajet level 2 from national carburetor. See what happens.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I'd put a quadrajet back on it. You won't have issues with things like linkages/cables, fuel lines and apparently fuel pressure regulators. :rolleyes:
If you go used I'd be weary of paying more than a core charge for it. It just might turn out that is all you got was something to trade in for core value. After much frustration of course. ;)

Oh and welcome to gmsb.

Every.single.time. I have bought a used carburetor, I regretted it.
What about the next time?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It was on the corner at the end of the quarter. I left the car there, got a ride home and snagged some tools and the backup 1406.
Didnt take it with me..lucky the car didn't catch fire...gasoline all over the windshield and ****. Drag racin down Route 66! :headbang:
Nw39th and Meridian to Tulsa was the run East bound and down. :waytogo:

It's funny cuz I was racing a pretty quick 406 Poncho in a beater 81 T/A hardtop. Artic White on blue with the blue chicken on the hood. 3.23 posi...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It was on the corner at the end of the quarter. I left the car there, got a ride home and snagged some tools and the backup 1406.
Didnt take it with me..lucky the car didn't catch fire...gasoline all over the windshield and ****. Drag racin down Route 66! :headbang:
Nw39th and Meridian to Tulsa was the run East bound and down. :waytogo:

Interesting how the quote has more info that the post. I didn't do that I swear. I had an injected oldsmobile, I had just bought the car and didn't realize someone had replaced a section of the high pressure metal fuel line to the fuel rail with low pressure rubber. It ruptured and caught on fire. So I'm on the side of the road with my hood up and fire. No extinguisher either. Smothered the flames by taking off my pants. This was pre-cell phone days so I had to walk in to town to call for help in my underwear. Not a joke.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Had to have been '96 or '95?
I later caught my SS on fire but I used my shirt lmfao.weirdo..pulls his pants roflmao?. :burnout:
THAT was when all the ******** stopped and I had to start spendin real money on parts (burnt up my distributor too) so I stole a fire extinguisher out of a hotel to carry around.
I was sellin parts @O'Reillys back then.
:birgits_tiredcoffee
Know what i'm sayin? :console:

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Got to add my 2 cents: Yes for the OP the Quadrajet is the best choice. But it sure is funny what is stated about Holleys. On the stock engine the factory Quadrajet is perfect. But as soon as you look for peformance and advance the timing and add the headers the Quadrajet is too lean.

GM knew this too. Medium duty squares like a C50 or C60 with a 366 BB were built with a Holley. Where emissions and fuel mileage were not the biggest concern, but performance was the deciding factor, GM supplied a square bore Holley.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is not an up-fit, this is stock. Some 350 SB's had Holleys as well, Could not find a picture. I think this 350 has a Carter:

You must be registered for see images attach

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
LMFAO

The op said I don't have a carb on my truck what should I get to put on it? Here come people saying a used to put Holley carbs on all my race cars. Lol

Guy didn't ask what carb is best for racing? So I still say for a dd you can't beat the Quadrajet. And if later you wanna add intake cam and hedders. National carb said they'll mail you bigger jets for 20 bucks. Well, that's a win in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08