New or used carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
How about a pic of the intake so we know which carb actually fits....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Had to have been '96 or '95?
I later caught my SS on fire but I used my shirt lmfao.weirdo..pulls his pants roflmao?. :burnout:
THAT was when all the ******** stopped and I had to start spendin real money on parts (burnt up my distributor too) so I stole a fire extinguisher out of a hotel to carry around.
I was sellin parts @O'Reillys back then.
:birgits_tiredcoffee
Know what i'm sayin? :console:

Yes, time line would have been mid 90's. Car would have been a late 80's olds. "lmfao.weirdo.." Now you finally understand me, I'm nothing if not a weirdo LOL. No seriously I was wearing a tank top, no way that was going to smother the flames.... I will say this was a smallish town of a couple hundred then walked all the way into town made my call and then waited. Those 10 minutes were a long wait, and explaining to my friend on the phone that I needed to borrow a pair of pants.... I hadn't thought about that in years. LOL it sure is a funny story now.

Flinflonman

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chev silverado 2 door long box 2wd
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Didnt see any stickers on hood or air intake.

Flinflonman

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chev silverado 2 door long box 2wd
Engine Size
Update: dad found his old carb.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Well, there you go. Get a good quality rebuild kit and throw her on. I would recommend getting it from quadrajetparts.com, I've rebuilt two carbs using their kits and had no problems.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes or if you aren't comfortable rebuilding a carburetor, you can have it sent out and rebuilt by a professional. But no better day to learn than today!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yes, time line would have been mid 90's. Car would have been a late 80's olds. "lmfao.weirdo.." Now you finally understand me, I'm nothing if not a weirdo LOL. No seriously I was wearing a tank top, no way that was going to smother the flames.... I will say this was a smallish town of a couple hundred then walked all the way into town made my call and then waited. Those 10 minutes were a long wait, and explaining to my friend on the phone that I needed to borrow a pair of pants.... I hadn't thought about that in years. LOL it sure is a funny story now.
I laughed out load..a tank top! ahhahahajaa
:rofl:

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Quadrajets don't die, they multiply o_O

Best thing you could've found too.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Medium duty squares like a C50 or C60 with a 366 BB were built with a Holley. Where emissions and fuel mileage were not the biggest concern, but performance was the deciding factor, GM supplied a square bore Holley.

The Holleys used on the 366 and 427 tall decks were the 4150G, a special governed carb. The tall decks had a redline of 4,500 RPM and GM governed them at 4,000 RPM with no load and 3,800 RPM under load. There was a centrigfually operated spinner valve in the distributor that, when the governed speed was reached, applied vacuum to a diaphragm on the Holley that would close the throttle plates. When operating under normal conditions (less than the governed speed) the plates were spring loaded against the throttle linkage and from the driver's perspective worked normally and was transparent to the operation of the truck.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Hey I'm new to the forum my dad just handed down his 85 chev silverado 2door 2wd long box to me and I know nothing about the truck. I am fairly good with mechanics so getting it running shouldn't be a big problem but the carburetor is missing so I was hoping that someone might have an idea of what I could use. Also wether or not I should go used or new. Thanks in advance.

Sticking with the Q-jet is probably the simplest and cheapest thing you can do. Either rebuild it (or have it rebuilt) or get a new one. In the alternative (and my preference) would be to get an aftermarket carb. I've have too many frustrating experiences with Holleys and I am partial to Edelbrock. Also need to keep in mind the emissions. The stock Q-jet will work with all the emissions, many after market carbs won't.

One con on the Q-jets: the idle mixture screws on many 1980s Q-jets are inaccessible for emissions reasons and you can't adjust the idle mixture. I had a 1984 K5 with a 350 and went through this, but that was in California and maybe that was just a California thing, I dunno. If you want to have it well tuned then be sure your carb has the screws accessible.

On the plus side Q-jets were made for the stock set up and can take the fuel pressure of the stock fuel pump. If you went with Edelbrock, for example, you would need an inline fuel pressure gauge and regulator because Edelbrock carbs like to have around 6psi, 6.5 max. The stock fuel pump puts out more pressure than that and will over fill the carb with fuel leading to air-fuel ratio issues, which leads to tuning issues until you correct the fuel pressure. The truck will be very drivable, but you won't be able to get the engine perfectly tuned, or as close to perfect as possible, until the pressure is regulated.

The Q-jet is a spread bore and will bolt right on to the stock intake manifold. Many after market carbs, including Edelbrock, are square bore and you will need to buy an adapter plate to bolt to the stock manifold. In the alternative you could spend more money on a mild aftermarket performance intake manifold with a square bore. Would also give you a little bit more power.

I run an Edelbrock #1906 AVS2 650 cfm carb on an otherwise stock 454 and it brought the tired old truck back to life. I don't miss the Q-jet at all. If you did choose an after market carb, for a 305 I would recommend the Edelbrock #1903 AVS2 500 cfm with electric choke or #1902 with a manual choke.

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305