New or used carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flinflonman

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chev silverado 2 door long box 2wd
Engine Size
Hey I'm new to the forum my dad just handed down his 85 chev silverado 2door 2wd long box to me and I know nothing about the truck. I am fairly good with mechanics so getting it running shouldn't be a big problem but the carburetor is missing so I was hoping that someone might have an idea of what I could use. Also wether or not I should go used or new. Thanks in advance.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
first, you need to knowwhat carb your truck had so we can recommend replacement. can we see your emissions Vcei label/ should be on hood or carb air cleaner housing

Flinflonman

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chev silverado 2 door long box 2wd
Engine Size
Will have to wait 2 days for that out of town working at the moment. Off the top of my head I believe the carb was a quadrabarrel I think that's how it was spelled. But I cant provide anything more specific at the moment.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You may get all kinds of answer here, but like AuroraGirl, I'd like to see a pick of your Vcei label, and one of your intake would be good to. Those things could really help us to recommend a carb. At the shop in situations like this or if we have a carb that we can't save we ussually order from National carburetors. They are online and sell some new and reman units, we've had to many issues with parts store carbs.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also, welcome!

If you are sure it was a quadrajet(the name you were thinking of) you could put a rebuilt one back on. There are other brands(holley, edelbrock, carter, zenith) as well. Rusty will tell you all about holleys if you care to listen!

Pending seeing your VCEI label and your intake, I would vote getting a quality rebuild quadrajet with an electric choke. But we definitely want to see more of your truck(for research purposes and pleasure) and what we recommend could change.

What do you plan to use the truck for

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I"m betting its a 305 Automatic truck.Should have a quadrajet 17085226.In a perfect world that's what I would try to find.New used or rebuilt that's your choice.Personally I'd buy a used one and cross my fingers.If it's no good as is I'd rebuild it, but I know how, so , the rest is up to you. Personally if I found a smokin deal on any 305 automatic quadrajet carb that's what I'd run.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It's true.
Holley > Edelbrock

I dont know OP yet based on his posts in this thread, I believe the Quadrajet may be better suited for his needs.

DebraM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Debra
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hate Holley carbs,all they have done is kick my ass tuning them.Last one,I was so ticked off taking it off throwing it in the trash can.I ended up putting on an Edelbrock,a 1970 Nova of mine which I still have

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I hate Holley carbs,all they have done is kick my ass tuning them.Last one,I was so ticked off taking it off throwing it in the trash can.I ended up putting on an Edelbrock,a 1970 Nova of mine which I still have
you better be careful, rusty will defend the honor of holley to the grave!

fight fight fight

jk

DebraM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Debra
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
you better be careful, rusty will defend the honor of holley to the grave!

fight fight fight

jk
A friend of mine took it out of the trash and went in his scrap metal pile.He took it in for scrap metal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK