New member 76 C20 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive 2/4" lowering options,pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome from N. Texas!

You must be registered for see images attach

Great looking truck; a real survivor. Where in CA? I lived in both SOCAL and NOCAL for many years.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome from mud city Louisiana! It's rained so much in the last several weeks you'd be in trouble if your truck was to low, you'd be under water.
Boy! That truck is as straight as an arrow! Great find. And a good interior to.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Look guys, the hood isn't crinkled either. By the time the truck is this old somebody neglected to oil the hinges and it's bent like a broke dick dog!

And why do you have a 2x4 holding the hood open?? The springs are broke? Or disconnected?

And it is a Goodwrench crate motor. Man, you'll be able to do all kinds of good stuff with that engine!

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@RGV250F3,

I hated to see these same year trucks around town with their hoods bent up in the middle, it was a shame. Unfortunately mine was the same way. It was like that when I bought the truck. I was always pushing the bend and cracks there, down after closing the hood. So when I rebuilt my truck I took the new hood, I had bought from the local Chevy dealer, over to the body man's house where we were going to paint the truck and had him take some .050" thick pieces of sheet metal and we welded them over the crumple zone places, you can see them, to stop the bending. Let me tell you, that hood weighs 96 lbs.!! I know because that was what was on the waybill when I picked it up from the dealer.

Even though the crumple zones are kinda in the middle if you neglect to oil those hinges and they get dry and hang up one time closing the hood, it will bend. And there won't be any kinda pushing on it to straighten it out either. You will have to take it off and do what I had to do and that is get it straight, then weld strips over the crumple zone to keep it from bending again, and if you don't it WILL keep bending. And then you will become "one of those guys"! You don't want that do you?

The maint. book says to use 30 weight motor oil on hinges. Do that! Get a red rag and oil those hinges everywhere it moves. Then you'll have a nice straight hood.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@RGV250F3,

If you were wondering what happen to the front lower left fender by the turn/parking light I can tell you. Someone at one time had a small hit on the corner of the bumper and when it bent back it put that sharp dent in the fender. They either got the front bumper straightened or they got another bumper. Since that darn corner is behind a frame work panel behind the light assembly you won't just be able to tap that out with a hammer. Somebody who has the proper tools will have to get a tool back behind that frame work panel and tap it out.

Man! That is a clean truck. There are a ton of guys who know all that lowering and raising business on this forum, and they know their stuff to. So they will be able to give you all the advise you could want. I believe this has got to be one of the best forums for our trucks. They sure have helped me.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
What are the options if our rear shocks are on the outside of the frame rails?

That's funny. Switch used the photo of my truck.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome from East Tennessee,congrats on your C20.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Welcome to the site from Oregon.

I am interested in the same lowering options for my 3/4 ton.

First I will start with a slightly shorter tire, then move to suspension changes.
Not looking for a ton, just enough altitude adjustment to close up the wheel well opening some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8