Need a bit of help on steering column....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoMtGuy

Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
350 M Code
Hey guys, I have an 83 GMC K2500 4x4 I'm going through, and one of the things driving me nuts is the steering wheel just seems too close to the driver. The guy before me was little, maybe 5-4 in height. I wonder if he adjusted the column closer to him? Not even sure if that is possible to do.

It would help a bunch if you could measure the distance from your dashpad to the backside of the steering wheel.... and tell me how many inches you have. If my column is stock then it should measure about the same distance as yours, if not.... does anyone know of a way to move the steering wheel closer to the dashpad? I haven't measured mine but it looks about 8-10 inches from the dash.... and feels way too close to the driver even with the seat all the way back! Thanks in advance for any advice or measurements!

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The steering wheel is non-telescopic and non-adjustable. You’ve got the newer four spoke wheel, and I don’t know what the diameter is relative to the two spoke, but I would imagine it’s the same or smaller. Is your seat adjusted all the way back? This is a common complaint with bench seat trucks and Burbs.

CoMtGuy

Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
350 M Code
Thanks, the newer wheel was installed by the previous owner, I have the original larger two spoke original wheel I'm planning to put back on. The seat is all the way back, but it's a standard cab PU so maybe that isn't helping. I pulled the seat and put a new cover on, hoping to find the seat wasn't sliding all the way back but it was working fine.

I'm planning to replace the bench (which is in excellent shape, vinyl not torn and no low spots) because it is too bouncy and I want to upgrade to a more firm seat. Maybe the new bench and mounting rack will allow it to slide a tad further aft.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've sat in the bench seat, and it's tight, but I felt like it was adequate. I'm 5'11" and 230ish pounds so I could see being heavier, lankier, or both having issues. Not saying I'm a twig or the perfect height. I was thinking of a Cadillac column, but it looks like someone already did this so that might be something to think about. That or another telescoping column.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/telescoping-column.5965/

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My trucks without tilt always felt like the steering wheel was closer to the seat than the trucks with tilt. And I normally run my tilt columns in the straight position.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I was thinking of a Cadillac column, but it looks like someone already did this so that might be something to think about. That or another telescoping column.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/telescoping-column.5965/

That was a great find! I didn't see where @RetroC10Sport did an actual mod thread on it, but there's more of it here-Starts around post #25.....

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/my-lil-squarebody-1991-s10-blazer.3638/

Tons of great ideas there too....

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks, I knew I wasn’t the first with the idea, but I’m glad there’s info on here about it.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
This has been my biggest complaint ever. (Being 6-4 and 260 pound) I had often thought of trying to modify the column but keep reminding myself that I am building this truck for my 5-8 son.

Seat swapping to a lower profile and getting tilt wheel is probably the best you can do honestly.

Just my opinion....Not verified but.....I think the pre-1981 trucks wheel protrudes out further than the 81+ models.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Just my opinion....Not verified but.....I think the pre-1981 trucks wheel protrudes out further than the 81+ models.

The 73-80 seat back frame is thicker than the 81 and up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486