Custom ignition switch not on column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue79

Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hit truck has a wrecked ignition switch and steering column I have been starting it will a screwdriver to move it around before I get it roadworthy. I found a ignition switch while strolling through Canadian tire yesterday and was wondering how easy it would be to hook up something like that for the time being for a little extra security. But not sure how to hook it up. Do I take the wires right from the steering column or just hot wire it kind of. Just wondering if that is a possibility for now I would like it to be temporary and eventually go to a steering column key.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your ignition switch is fubared, or the ignition lock cylinder?

The typical parts store ignition switch may be hard to use, due to the amount of wires used in the truck. The Accy and Ign studs would have a lot of wires hooked onto them.

At any rate, the stock ignition switch is cheap and so is the lock cylinder.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The stock "ignition switch" is not behind the key. It is down below on top of the column, about 5" from the firewall. A rod from the key assembly goes down the top of the column and operates the switch. If you grab the 4 wires off that switch, you can run them to a new added on switch, but, I think it would be easier to replace the tumbler assembly on the column. Most auto parts stores (used to) sell all the replacement parts. Thats what I would do.

Blue79

Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Your ignition switch is fubared, or the ignition lock cylinder?

The typical parts store ignition switch may be hard to use, due to the amount of wires used in the truck. The Accy and Ign studs would have a lot of wires hooked onto them.

At any rate, the stock ignition switch is cheap and so is the lock cylinder.
The lock cylinder is but yeah that makes sense it’s mostly the steering column is messed up from a sawzall so just thought about doing that tell I fix the column but yeah that’s a lot more work then just fixing the steering column haha
Thank you

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The lock cylinder is but yeah that makes sense it’s mostly the steering column is messed up from a sawzall so just thought about doing that tell I fix the column but yeah that’s a lot more work then just fixing the steering column haha
Thank you
Were you just wanting a generic switch so other people can't start your truck with a screw driver? If so this is easy. Only remove the 12 volt in wire at your stock switch, run it to the parts store switch, the ignition terminal of the parts store switch, run a wire back down to were you stole the 12 volt source. Now to start the truck you have to turn on the parts store switch then use your screwdriver to start the truck. You could do the exact same thing I just wrote but 1 more wire run to the solenoid wire, from the start pole of the new ignition switch,scotch lock it at the O.E switch or run it all the way to the solenoid. This way you'd turn the screwdriver to the run position and leave the switch there forever, put your screwdriver back in your tool box. Now power from the parts store switch will power everything up through the O.E. switch but the starter position would be on both switches so you could crank it from either. One last thought disconnect the ignition switch rod, install a remote start kit, leave electrical part of the ignition switch in the run position put a switch in the power lead. Now flip the switch and hit the remote and you're driving but a screwdriver no longer will do anything.

Last edited:

Blue79

Reaction score
First Name
Caden
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Were you just wanting a generic switch so other people can't start your truck with a screw driver? If so this is easy. Only remove the 12 volt in wire at your stock switch, run it to the parts store switch, the ignition terminal of the parts store switch, run a wire back down to were you stole the 12 volt source. Now to start the truck you have to turn on the parts store switch then use your screwdriver to start the truck. You could do the exact same thing I just wrote but 1 more wire run to the solenoid wire, from the start pole of the new ignition switch,scotch lock it at the O.E switch or run it all the way to the solenoid. This way you'd turn the screwdriver to the run position and leave the switch there forever, put your screwdriver back in your tool box. Now power from the parts store switch will power everything up through the O.E. switch but the starter position would be on both switches so you could crank it from either. One last thought disconnect the ignition switch rod, install a remote start kit, leave electrical part of the ignition switch in the run position put a switch in the power lead. Now flip the switch and hit the remote and you're driving but a screwdriver no longer will do anything.
Yes exactly that actually haha. Thank you that is very help full definitely a bit of work but nothing crazy thank you

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hit truck has a wrecked ignition switch and steering column I have been starting it will a screwdriver to move it around before I get it roadworthy. I found a ignition switch while strolling through Canadian tire yesterday and was wondering how easy it would be to hook up something like that for the time being for a little extra security. But not sure how to hook it up. Do I take the wires right from the steering column or just hot wire it kind of. Just wondering if that is a possibility for now I would like it to be temporary and eventually go to a steering column key.
Guy traded me a Scottdale that had an engine fire (Bulkhead connecter was a blob) and probably a dozen owners with no comprehension of automotive wiring. It was a butcher job under the hood. Key switch did not work, so the previous owner mounted a toggle switch below the headlight switch for fuel, another toggle switch for ignition and then a push button for start. He just ran the switches to wherever he could find power.

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
poor boy solution - the column mechanism on mine was screwed up long ago - i bo't a generic ign switch & installed it into the hole where the clock used to be - (the clock was bad anyway) - alternative was to buy a column & all the remove/install hassle that goes with -

in your case the column mechanism is obviously OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod