My Mean 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
:shitsweak:
All this talk about your "mean 350" is a waste. Damn dude your spending all this time swapping from this cam to that cam for what?????? a 5000RPM REDLINE? Sure as hell doesnt sound like its nearly as "mean" as your wanting us to beleive. One more thing, WHAT is the POINT in changing cams when you cant even drive the damn truck? Fix the frickin Transmission. Hell my kids could beat you in the 1/4 on there bikes. :shitsweak::shitsweak:

Hell even my truck redlines higher then that

Last edited:

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
:shitsweak:
All this talk about your "mean 350" is a waste. Damn dude your spending all this time swapping from this cam to that cam for what?????? a 5000RPM REDLINE? Sure as hell doesnt sound like its nearly as "mean" as your wanting us to beleive. One more thing, WHAT is the POINT in changing cams when you cant even drive the damn truck? Fix the frickin Transmission. Hell my kids could beat you in the 1/4 on there bikes. :shitsweak::shitsweak:

Hell even my truck redlines higher then that

lol it will redline much higher i have it set at 5 grand because the motor isnt broke in all that well the motor prolly has 500miles on it so im not wrap it up to a max redline until at least 3000miles on it, and im still looking for a crossmember for the carrier bearing for a 2 piece drive shaft. i dont really wanna build one id much rather have a factory one if i can get one, and i have a few leads on a couple but im still trying to get my hands on one, i have another truck to drive in the meantime. honestly dont care what you think i know what this motor is and i know how much money ive got invested in the motor, and i know what it would do before the tranny went south on it. once again its not a quarter mile truck!!!! i really dont feel the need to have to prove myself to any of yall on here, im just here to have friendly conversations and enjoy talking about something we all have in common a love for squarebodys, not to be in competition with anyone thats for sure. im not trying one up anyone im just proud of what i have it got my sweat and my blood and time in it and im proud of it. just like im sure everyone on here is proud of there trucks they have. so back off man im not here to compete im here to be apart of forum and learn and help people when i can

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, if you're gonna play hard in that truck, you'll need a Th350 or Th400 and give up the overdrive. Also for a playing hard truck, you shouldn't need OD cuz you should have more of a commuter vehicle for mpg, comforts like AC, and your ride to and from your job. Then you drive the hot truck for fun, or even to work a day or two a week, but if you break it, which you will, if it has any kind of REAL horsepower/torque, then you have your commuter car to rely on while you're doing repairs.

Also, keep in mind, sounding mean doesn't mean it is mean. I'll assure you, I can build an old school motor even, that will purr like a kitten, just dual exhaust, no headers and put a spankin on that truck. Alot of guys put big cams in and they sound mean, but that's all show no go. If you don't build the rest of the motor, then the rest of the vehicle around those cam specs you have nothing but a gas wasting turd that SOUNDS bad ass. I also know guys that put in big cams to sound good, and they can't get to 5500-6000 rpm because they are running OEM single spring heads and floating the hell outta their valves. Then you ask if he's running dual springs, yep sure am. I look, he's running a single spring with a dampner. A dampner is NOT a secondary spring. DeetaDee !!!

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
lol it will redline much higher i have it set at 5 grand because the motor isnt broke in all that well the motor prolly has 500miles on it so im not wrap it up to a max redline until at least 3000miles on it, and im still looking for a crossmember for the carrier bearing for a 2 piece drive shaft. i dont really wanna build one id much rather have a factory one if i can get one, and i have a few leads on a couple but im still trying to get my hands on one, i have another truck to drive in the meantime. honestly dont care what you think i know what this motor is and i know how much money ive got invested in the motor, and i know what it would do before the tranny went south on it. once again its not a quarter mile truck!!!! i really dont feel the need to have to prove myself to any of yall on here, im just here to have friendly conversations and enjoy talking about something we all have in common a love for squarebodys, not to be in competition with anyone thats for sure. im not trying one up anyone im just proud of what i have it got my sweat and my blood and time in it and im proud of it. just like im sure everyone on here is proud of there trucks they have. so back off man im not here to compete im here to be apart of forum and learn and help people when i can

Its obviouse you are a young kid. I can appreciate the passion you show as well as anyone else. BUT you need to realize us "old dogs" may just know a little something. Your prioritys are just a little out of sync.

Every since you first posted on this forum it has been OBVIOUSE that you are nothing but a spoiled litte rich kid. It shows once again in your last comment about "i dont care what you think i know how much money i have in this" FYI I dont give a **** how much money you have in it, money doesnt make them go fast, you have to have the right set up internally in the motor but MORE IMPORTANTLY your drivetrain needs to be set up correctly. And so far your showing just how little you know about setting a driveline up. Now in all fairness I will remind myself that your only 17 or 19 years old, and evidently know one has taught you the importance of the proper set up.

Now for your drivetrain the only thing we have been able to tell for sure about your truck is that you want to use a 2 piece driveshaft. Why you would want to do that I will never understand, 2 piece driveshafts will not be near as strong especially in a "550 horse motor".
You have said many different things for a rear differential, but honestly its hard to tell just what ******* truck your talking about. You brag and brag about all these different vehichles noone knows just what vehichle your talking about.

Oh and a factory transmission will NEVER hold up to a "550 horse motor" I dont give a **** if its a TH350, TH400, 700R4, 4l60E, or a 4L80E. The ONLY way your ever gonna get any of those transmissions to hold up behind a "550 horse motor" is to have them BUILT.

Before you spend any more of your daddys money. might I suggest you do some research and get a GAME PLAN. If you want to build a bad ass truck you need to do it the RIGHT way. You are defintly NOT doing it the right way.
Heres a small list of what you need to think about for a good solid game plan.

First and formost you need to think about just what you are going to use the truck for. Race, street, street/strip, ect.... After you come to that conclusion you need to forget about the motor. Afterall guys that think purley into the motor in reality just have penis envy haha. You need to learn to become an ASSMAN think about it from the rear to the front. It is purely common sence when you build a high horse motor you are doomed to have a chain reaction of failures. So the ASSMAN theory comes to play.

Decide what Rear differential you plan to run. 10 bolt, 12 bolt, curry, ford 9",ect...
Then decide what Gear ratio you want to run. 3.73, 390, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, or 5.13, ect...
Then you need to think about a driveshaft, theres really not alot you can really do for this UNTIL the rest of it is done. But still need to have a plan for where to have it made.
Next would be IMHO the MOST IMPORTANT part of the build. The Transmission, which one are you going to want to run, Now is the tricky part because manuals and automatics will "like" different set ups, aswell as different automatics will need different gear ratios. THIS is where you REALLY will need to do your homework.
Next would be the BRAKING SYSTEM, Let me just save you some troubles, plan on the BIGGEST Braking system you can use, There is NO such thing as overkill when it comes to stopping.
Now you can think about your motor and how bad you really want it.

After you have thought about all of those things then write them all down, and do your research if the setup will actually work. Chances are your gonna find that your gonna need to go back through the list and tweak a few things.

You are trying to put the cart before the horse.

"back off man im just trying to learn" :suicide:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Its obviouse you are a young kid. I can appreciate the passion you show as well as anyone else. BUT you need to realize us "old dogs" may just know a little something. Your prioritys are just a little out of sync.

Every since you first posted on this forum it has been OBVIOUSE that you are nothing but a spoiled litte rich kid. It shows once again in your last comment about "i dont care what you think i know how much money i have in this" FYI I dont give a **** how much money you have in it, money doesnt make them go fast, you have to have the right set up internally in the motor but MORE IMPORTANTLY your drivetrain needs to be set up correctly. And so far your showing just how little you know about setting a driveline up. Now in all fairness I will remind myself that your only 17 or 19 years old, and evidently know one has taught you the importance of the proper set up.

Now for your drivetrain the only thing we have been able to tell for sure about your truck is that you want to use a 2 piece driveshaft. Why you would want to do that I will never understand, 2 piece driveshafts will not be near as strong especially in a "550 horse motor".
You have said many different things for a rear differential, but honestly its hard to tell just what ******* truck your talking about. You brag and brag about all these different vehichles noone knows just what vehichle your talking about.

Oh and a factory transmission will NEVER hold up to a "550 horse motor" I dont give a **** if its a TH350, TH400, 700R4, 4l60E, or a 4L80E. The ONLY way your ever gonna get any of those transmissions to hold up behind a "550 horse motor" is to have them BUILT.

Before you spend any more of your daddys money. might I suggest you do some research and get a GAME PLAN. If you want to build a bad ass truck you need to do it the RIGHT way. You are defintly NOT doing it the right way.
Heres a small list of what you need to think about for a good solid game plan.

First and formost you need to think about just what you are going to use the truck for. Race, street, street/strip, ect.... After you come to that conclusion you need to forget about the motor. Afterall guys that think purley into the motor in reality just have penis envy haha. You need to learn to become an ASSMAN think about it from the rear to the front. It is purely common sence when you build a high horse motor you are doomed to have a chain reaction of failures. So the ASSMAN theory comes to play.

Decide what Rear differential you plan to run. 10 bolt, 12 bolt, curry, ford 9",ect...
Then decide what Gear ratio you want to run. 3.73, 390, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, or 5.13, ect...
Then you need to think about a driveshaft, theres really not alot you can really do for this UNTIL the rest of it is done. But still need to have a plan for where to have it made.
Next would be IMHO the MOST IMPORTANT part of the build. The Transmission, which one are you going to want to run, Now is the tricky part because manuals and automatics will "like" different set ups, aswell as different automatics will need different gear ratios. THIS is where you REALLY will need to do your homework.
Next would be the BRAKING SYSTEM, Let me just save you some troubles, plan on the BIGGEST Braking system you can use, There is NO such thing as overkill when it comes to stopping.
Now you can think about your motor and how bad you really want it.

After you have thought about all of those things then write them all down, and do your research if the setup will actually work. Chances are your gonna find that your gonna need to go back through the list and tweak a few things.

You are trying to put the cart before the horse.

"back off man im just trying to learn" :suicide:

I beg to differ a little bit. I think a stock 200r4 would love 7000 grand allllllll day with 4.56 gears maybe with a little antifreeze in the rear and tranny to help keep it cool!

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I beg to differ a little bit. I think a stock 200r4 would love 7000 grand allllllll day with 4.56 gears maybe with a little antifreeze in the rear and tranny to help keep it cool!

I know I shouldn't be bad. When I was young I built a Camaro that had trick flow aluminum heads, a mild cam and it had a 400 turbo. Now that was when gas was a buck a gallon. I'd suggest pulling that 700r4 forgetting it and running a 4l80e you can get a controller from optishift for about 600 bucks its a very tough tranny with an overdrive that will work, then I'd consider a built 12 bolt or preferably a ford 9". I didnt read your whole thread, but I'll tell ya what your not going to ******** an old dog "I'm in my 30's" who has wrote the book and in this case lit up over it and then backed up doing it again. When it comes to vehicles most of us can smell it over anything even a computer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is that what the fukin smell is??? I been wonderin??? Geezzus, and all this time, I was blaming the dog !!! Sumbish !!! I just might have a 4L80-E for sale real soon too. Supposed to be a good one, but I won't swear to it. One of the later models with the cooling lines seperated.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
you can also use a 7427 PCM from a 94-95 truck to run an E trans.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Just stop..........

You can build your high hp 383. Remember it needs torque........ Trucks are heavy.

IF you build your engine first...... Just know that everything else needs to match. Do it in whatever order you want.

If you have 500/550 or somewhere around there, TH400, 3.73's, 2800 stall................ Thats where you need to think........

Rear diff...... Trans/stall......... Cam........ Build around cam..........

Cam is brains, heads are power......

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
383's are pretty torquey by nature with the longer stroke. That in itself is why they run so well. I'd say the longer stroke add more flaver to a 383 then the 33 more cubes do. The 33 cubes and higher compression are just an added bonus on top of the longer stroke.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
383's are pretty torquey by nature with the longer stroke. That in itself is why they run so well. I'd say the longer stroke add more flaver to a 383 then the 33 more cubes do. The 33 cubes and higher compression are just an added bonus on top of the longer stroke.

i have to agree with HR and with Roller Cam and Strong Valvetrain with the heads im gonna use and also running a little over 12:1 compression with lightweight internals and and twin Q-jet fuel system should be pretty impressive performance im hoping. might be wrong but i just couldnt see how i wouldnt at least be pushing 500-550hp of the flywheel and running high compression cant really use Nitrious..cam prolly wouldnt like it either lol

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
i do need to clear some things up though and its my fault completely and i apologize, but the 383 was originally going in my 1984 C10 but i decided that what a hoped up motor needs to be in is a short wheel base so i accidently found the 1985 C10 SWB when i was coming back from the store i seen that a friend of ours had yall know the story on that, anyway the 488 thats in it is coming out and im going to put my 383 in when i get it finished, so that being said i no longer need a super strong tranny in my 1984 C10 i have a TH350 that is been rebuilt to withstand 550hp advertised which is fine if it isnt that much because my 350 is in the neighborhood of 375hp flywheel, 325ish ground hp correct me if im wrong on that, its has a factory 3.08 posi rearend im going to be swapping to a 3.73 for better off the line ground torque, and yes im using a 2 piece because i didnt wanna pay $475 dollars for a custom made driveshaft to fit this TH350 Short Shaft Trans so i have a 2 piece from a LWB dually that i have had the front section lengthened to extend to a 6in tail shaft and i had the different yoke put on that fits my rearend, i just really wanted a 2 piece from a 1-ton thought it would be stronger and i got the whole shittin thing for $100 so i figured what the hell add another $100 for the work i need done to it and i saved $275, plz anything else you wanna know about my 1984 C10 ask me know so we can get this all straight and the mods can clean this thread up plz

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Seems your #'s are starting to jive a bit better. And that is sometimes important to specify. 325 to the wheels is more like it on some minor adders, but when you say 375 you might specify fhp.
I don't what shipping would be from OKC to Nachobellgrande, TX, but I think I have a longbed Th350 Driveshat for 2wd, and it's a one piece. I know I should have about 3 or them, but 1 or 2 are for 12 bolts, so I'd want a measurement to make sure I sent the right one, but I'd probably cut loose of one for $25 + shipping. My luck, it would be the one that's out in the truck at my dads place.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Short tailshaft TH350 in a longbed would need a specially made (lengthened) driveshaft and I would hate to see how much it would cost for a nearly 6' x 3.5" new tube for it.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Seems your #'s are starting to jive a bit better. And that is sometimes important to specify. 325 to the wheels is more like it on some minor adders, but when you say 375 you might specify fhp.
I don't what shipping would be from OKC to Nachobellgrande, TX, but I think I have a longbed Th350 Driveshat for 2wd, and it's a one piece. I know I should have about 3 or them, but 1 or 2 are for 12 bolts, so I'd want a measurement to make sure I sent the right one, but I'd probably cut loose of one for $25 + shipping. My luck, it would be the one that's out in the truck at my dads place.

that would be awesome HR, what i was told by my driveshaft place here is that the drive shaft i had could be lengthened because it had the bell ends on it which made not lengthable? anyway, if one of those drive shafts are a even diameter tube and not smaller at the ends i can have it lengthened and i would be much happier with a one piece, so length wouldnt be a problem as long as it can be lengthened

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus