My Mean 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Yes it's big and it's good. That's a 14b 10.5in Full Float. Break that one, then I'll believe you have some horsepower and 650ft lbs of torque. But, you won't break it. It'll probably hold up to all you can throw at it and that's why wheelers and rock crawlers want them. They are also very common, and only people buying is those who want them for wheeling because it's not people buying one to replace their broken one. They don't break. That's why they are so common. The truck will rust away long before the 14FF goes bad. They may get a bit noisy and get a bit of slop in them and some picky people will rebuild them, but they don't break. I only know of 1 person that broke one and it was very extreme conditions and was probably wore the hell out with some major abuse miles on it.

sweet that sounds good to me ill call him and let him know that i want it :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is this the one you're paying $250 for? Doesn't gear ratio matter too? I woudn't pay no $250 for it. And yes, you'd have to go with 8 lug 3/4 ton truck rims to use that.

Seems someone had a 6 lug conversion for one of these not long ago, or was that 14 9.5 Semi Float? :shrug: Don't remember, but you need to have a work around for the 8 lug.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Are you willing to switch to 8-lug wheels though?

yup 8 lug wheels is what you will have in the rear and 5 lug in the front. you can buy custom axles for it but i think only in 6 lug and they are crazy in price IIRC.

I seriously doubt your gonna be destroying a 12 bolt, hell your 10 bolt will probably be just fine

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Is this the one you're paying $250 for? Doesn't gear ratio matter too? I woudn't pay no $250 for it. And yes, you'd have to go with 8 lug 3/4 ton truck rims to use that.

Seems someone had a 6 lug conversion for one of these not long ago, or was that 14 9.5 Semi Float? :shrug: Don't remember, but you need to have a work around for the 8 lug.

im going to take a look at it in the morning and get some better pics and see about what kinda shape its in and all that good stuff hes wanting $300 for it

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
yup 8 lug wheels is what you will have in the rear and 5 lug in the front. you can buy custom axles for it but i think only in 6 lug and they are crazy in price IIRC.

I seriously doubt your gonna be destroying a 12 bolt, hell your 10 bolt will probably be just fine

well no more than that 350 will be putting out i was thinking my 10 bolt posi would hold but everyone says it wont take much abuse i mean damn i dont wanna just spend the money for something i dont really need lol

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
well no more than that 350 will be putting out i was thinking my 10 bolt posi would hold but everyone says it wont take much abuse i mean damn i dont wanna just spend the money for something i dont really need lol

well lets put it this way, I have a 96 K1500. In that truck I had done 4L80E conversion, and put 4.56 gears in it. I tow in average 18-20,000 pound loads with my GM 10 bolt. Still hasnt failed me yet.

"dont fix it if it aint broken"

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
well lets put it this way, I have a 96 K1500. In that truck I had done 4L80E conversion, and put 4.56 gears in it. I tow in average 18-20,000 pound loads with my GM 10 bolt. Still hasnt failed me yet.

Damn thats some good **** there!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Most 10 bolts that fail are in 4x4s with larger tires, Burbs with more weight on the rear, or stock 4x4's that are abused. They hold up better in 2wd's.

Also, the stock carrier with spiders or a stock Gov-loc is usually what fails on them. A full carrier type of locker or posi will take care of the weakest link.

You're just lucky. Your steep gears probably help too.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Most 10 bolts that fail are in 4x4s with larger tires, Burbs with more weight on the rear, or stock 4x4's that are abused. They hold up better in 2wd's.

Also, the stock carrier with spiders or a stock Gov-loc is usually what fails on them. A full carrier type of locker or posi will take care of the weakest link.

You're just lucky. Your steep gears probably help too.

naw im not that lucky, others are just unlucky i guess lol

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Dont get that rear. Get somethin more worth the money. There is a such as overkill.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Dont get that rear. Get somethin more worth the money. There is a such as overkill.

i really agree i think it would look rather awkward under a 1/2 ton pickup anyway....i think ill just spend the extra money and get a Detroit Locker Unit with 3.73 or 4.11 gears and with some stronger axles like some Curries or something and try to stay looking original and the sleeper look which is what i like for a street truck :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you're gonna be running a 700r4, you better go with some 4.56's. Any strain you can take off a 700r4, you need to do so, and with OD, you can get by with 4.56's and still be highway driveable. I'd make 4.10's the tallest I'd go. If I was buying new gears, I'd go 4.56's since you'd be buying a new carrier anyway. Or if you can find something in good used shape, then I'd settle on the 4.10's but 4.56 would be my choice.

I'm probably confused now with the different trucks, not sure if this is for your girlfriend's, dad's, neighbor's, brother's, coworker's ,baby mama's truck, or if this one is yours or what, but what rear end are we talking about? A 10 bolt? Or is it that Ford 8.8 rear end?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's his 10 bolt. He's also replacing the 700r4 with a th350.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
It's his 10 bolt. He's also replacing the 700r4 with a th350.

Correct, A Freshly Rebuilt TH350 built for up to 550hp, sorry i havent been on much today ive been putting the 274 cam back in like i said i was going to and got everything back together and she is back sounding like a truck again haha so with a TH350 trans wouldnt i wanna go with like some 3.73 in the rear. used to have a 1972 GMC custom 1/2 ton that had 350/TH350 and 12bolt peg legger with 4.11 in the rear and that damn thing had a flex fan on it and it sounded like an airplane doing 70mph on the highway but idk what rpm it was turning, anyway just give you guys some history about this truck, its got the factory posi unit not a gov lock with 3.08 gears in it thats been on the truck since it was new..the truck was give to me out of my uncles estate when he passed away and it only had 89K original miles on it im the 2nd owner of this truck so i was the first one that had ever been in that rear diff, this truck had sat up in a field for 12 years why my uncle let it sit idk but it did it took me forever to get that 305 running and the valve body in the tranny was trashed so about 5 month later she is running great everything works still completely original and all factory truck, first thing that happened was the original 700R tranny goes out on me no reverse just first gear, ok put a new new tranny in it 305 overheats on my pulls the top skirt off number seven piston didnt hurt the block thank god so i pull it and drop my 350 thats in it now in and that thing shells the brand new 700R tranny and which brings us to number 3 transmission lol and i have both the original tranny and motor with the matching casting numbers that im going to keep for later when cuz eventually i plan on restoring the truck completely and put all the matching number things back in it and have a truck worth alot of money one day even the interior is still all original seat and everything and the old factory puch button AM/FM radio. so now you know my truck pretty

i also have a video that i took of it after i broke in the new lifters on the cam this evening

[yt]GXPZ5JO2s6U&feature[/yt]

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Well this morning my dad wants to go play with the carb adjustments on my truck he call me out there i got a shot of what it sounds like in gear idling what do you yall think? you can hear the 700R4 rattling when i rev it up still, all it has is low gear and i have to push or pull it out of the shop then i drive it up to the side of the shop out of the way til i can get everything i need for my TH350 trans then ill get some videos of what she'll do
[yt]2JfcADTDrmk&feature[/yt]

i know i play to much haha what do you expect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB