Loose cab mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
My front driver side cab mount is a little loose. There’s an occasional “pop” if I go over a bump at low speed just right. After some investigation, I found I can just barely turn the bottom section of that mount with my hands. I cannot move any of the others.

The rubber pieces appear to be in pretty good shape.

Should I try to tighten the bolt with an impact on “low”? I really don’t want to break the bolt or spin the cage nut. Truck is in great shape and I’d rather not have to cut a hole in the floor. I’ve already sprayed penetration oil everywhere I can reach from underneath.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd try to tighten it. If the cage nut spins, you are still in the same place you are in now- a slightly loose cab mount. I'd leave the impact gun turned up though. Turning it down could actually increase the chances of spinning the cage nut.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it were me, I'd go at it with a regular 1/2" ratchet but only after I heated the bolt up and then I would tighten then loosen then tighten some more, work it back it forth until it comes completely out. Then run a wire brush over the threads and then wash it off with PB Blaster. Then spray the caged nut as well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it were me, I'd go at it with a regular 1/2" ratchet but only after I heated the bolt up and then I would tighten then loosen then tighten some more, work it back it forth until it comes completely out. Then run a wire brush over the threads and then wash it off with PB Blaster. Then spray the caged nut as well.

Speaking from experience, that's actually a good way of causing the caged nut to spin. Heating the bolt won't do any good either, just risk burning the body bushing. If you are going to heat something, you heat the nut. But the OP doesn't want to cut a hole in the floor, so that option is out.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I got that hole.....now how do u make a good repair on that......

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
We were very lucky on our cab mounts. We had read and saw some people on YouTube that had such trouble with them so we were prepared. We set aside an entire two days for just the mounts. Easton got the first one done in 20 minutes, and had them all finished before lunch the same day. We were kinda surprised, and if I remember correctly, we took the rest of the day off. I wish I could say that this was the rule and not the exception like most things we ran into…

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 18

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I see these threads a lot and am so glad mine all came out with no issue. Literally took just a few seconds on each one.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Days I soaked with pb blaster. Crank em a little. Soak. Wait repeat.
3 outta four (really 7 out of 8-donor cab) worked fine. Now I gotta figure out how to patch that hole

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood