Cab mount bolt fell out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
All:

This forum seemed like the best place for this question...

Yesterday, one of my daughters discovered one of my cab mounting bolts laying in the driveway, along with the washer. When I remounted my cab (truck is here: https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/89-v3500-rehab.33188/page-2#post-876687), I used all new urethane cab mounts. I used some, but not all, new bolts and washers, as some of the old ones appeared in decent enough shape. The one that fell out is one of the old ones. I observed the torque specs, etc..., when I installed them.

What's the fix here? Should I just put a whole bunch of loctite on the bolt, and reinstall? Should I do that, but use a new bolt? New bolt but no need for loctite?

It also occurs to me to wonder if my torque wrench is faulty. It's an HF Pittsburgh model. The first one I got didn't work at all, and so I traded it back in for one that did, maybe this shouldn't inspire me with confidence, though.

Aaron

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've never touched my cab bolts before and had to tighten one a couple months ago. Was making weird noises like bumping/clicking when slowing down to stop and turning. Was in time with my Mudd tires and I could feel it In my floor. Was the cab mount under drivers feet.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Lucky it fell out in the driveway. Like, buy a powerball ticket level lucky.

maybe -----just maybe you forgot to tighten that one bolt,,,,, it happens
Yeah, I thought of the odds of that happening, myself. I got hit by lightning once, in my teenage years, maybe I have a weird effect on odds, now. And yes, Scott, I'll definitely be checking all the other bolts too. Maybe I did forget that one. I was a total newbie when I started this project, and I imagine that's the kindof thing anybody could forget I'm mostly a woodworker, been building fancy furniture for people for several years now. Even after quite a bit of experience, you wouldn't believe how easy it is to cut a mortise in the wrong face of a leg.

I've got to take "The Great Pumpkin" on its first real highway spin tomorrow, going to be 250 miles or so; somhow I think it would be a good idea if my cab ought to be solidly secured....

Aaron

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, don’t freak out. Could just reinstall it and check it periodically, or glue it in with some thread locker and move on. Nice part is you don’t need to go get a new bolt!

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
So even weirder: I get under the truck last night...and I didn't even lose the lower part of the bushing. The grease I used when I put the two halves together must have created a vacuum in there.

I'm going to be checking those bolts fairly frequently, I think. I live on a pretty bad road, lots of bumps, holes, washboards, etc....

Aaron

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
does a cheater bar void a breaker bar warranty>?
hahahaha not as long as the manufacturer doesnt find out

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lucky it fell out in the driveway. Like, buy a powerball ticket level lucky.

It wouldn't have made a difference were it fell out, honestly. I've seen so many 90's and 00's trucks (of all makes) driving around with literally half of their cab mounts rotted and gone, it’s ridiculous. Even if the bolt fell out while going 70mph down a rough ass section of interstate (or any interstate in Indiana, lol), nothing would have happened.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I had one captured nut that became "uncaptured" had to cut a hole in the floor behind the seat to get it off. And the others had a 2 ft cheater pipe on breaker bar.
Yup ^^^

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko