Cab swap years and also cab removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Ok, can anyone tell me for certain any issues with mounting an 81-87 cab on a 76 truck with 76 nose please. I’m not talking about things like the 76 doors take the smaller door panel, the 80’s cab has wiper switch on the turn stalk. I just want to know that the round eye nose will bolt on and cab mounts are the same. I do know that the hoods mount differently and from my trucks at home I think that it should be easier to put an 80’s cab on a 70’s nose truck because there is an extra mounting tab on the 80’s cab for the hood hinges that isn’t needed with the 70’s hood hinges. Anything else I’m missing?

Also, how do you guys lift the cabs off the frame and have it stable, fairly level and above all, NOT DAMAGE THE CAB? I’m talking lifting with a loader from above. That’s the equipment I have to work with. Don’t want to hear about your engine crane jig, some crazy one man floor jack contraption etc. do you run 4x4 through the open door windows and just lift, or wrap straps around the A pillar if the windshield is out and that lifts nicely etc.

Thanks!
Ben

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I put a 84 dual headlight front clip on a 78 k5. So the opposite way you're going.

As you mentioned the hood and mounting is different.

The 80's cab will have a cowl piece with tall pedestals for the wipers. You won't need the cowl with the early hood and you'll have to change to the short pedestals. Cant remember if the wiper arms and linkage were different too.

The headlight wiring was different between my dual headlight and round eye version.

I had to oval out the holes on the core support to mount to the older frame. My 78 had been in a small crash that required the core support being replaced years prior so it may have been why it was off a tiny bit. YMMV

You won't need the hood pop stuff from inside the cab anymore IIRC.

Some of the under hood stuff mounted on the inner fenders was a little different but easy to make work between the 2.

The 84's radiator and fan shroud went on the 78 with the rest of its front clip too.

I cant remember exactly but something about the frame horns and how the front bumper fits may matter.

I do have some pictures of the process that might include some of the stuff we're talking about if you need.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I put a 84 dual headlight front clip on a 78 k5. So the opposite way you're going.

As you mentioned the hood and mounting is different.

The 80's cab will have a cowl piece with tall pedestals for the wipers. You won't need the cowl with the early hood and you'll have to change to the short pedestals. Cant remember if the wiper arms and linkage were different too.

The headlight wiring was different between my dual headlight and round eye version.

I had to oval out the holes on the core support to mount to the older frame. My 78 had been in a small crash that required the core support being replaced years prior so it may have been why it was off a tiny bit. YMMV

You won't need the hood pop stuff from inside the cab anymore IIRC.

Some of the under hood stuff mounted on the inner fenders was a little different but easy to make work between the 2.

The 84's radiator and fan shroud went on the 78 with the rest of its front clip too.

I cant remember exactly but something about the frame horns and how the front bumper fits may matter.

I do have some pictures of the process that might include some of the stuff we're talking about if you need.
You can also buy the right year core support to match the front clip being put on , or swap it
Ok, can anyone tell me for certain any issues with mounting an 81-87 cab on a 76 truck with 76 nose please. I’m not talking about things like the 76 doors take the smaller door panel, the 80’s cab has wiper switch on the turn stalk. I just want to know that the round eye nose will bolt on and cab mounts are the same. I do know that the hoods mount differently and from my trucks at home I think that it should be easier to put an 80’s cab on a 70’s nose truck because there is an extra mounting tab on the 80’s cab for the hood hinges that isn’t needed with the 70’s hood hinges. Anything else I’m missing?

Also, how do you guys lift the cabs off the frame and have it stable, fairly level and above all, NOT DAMAGE THE CAB? I’m talking lifting with a loader from above. That’s the equipment I have to work with. Don’t want to hear about your engine crane jig, some crazy one man floor jack contraption etc. do you run 4x4 through the open door windows and just lift, or wrap straps around the A pillar if the windshield is out and that lifts nicely etc.

Thanks!
Ben
what is the truck you have and whats the donor cab? both 4x4? both 2wd? one will have a tunnel screwed on vs part of the floor most likely. What about options, what about fenders etc etc.,

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Thank you very much. Sounds along the lines of what I was thinking. I’m hoping to start prepping the cab once weather gets a little warmer in March or so.

Ben

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
You can also buy the right year core support to match the front clip being put on , or swap it

what is the truck you have and whats the donor cab? both 4x4? both 2wd? one will have a tunnel screwed on vs part of the floor most likely. What about options, what about fenders etc etc.,
The truck I’m building is a 76. Cab is a mid 80’s cucv cab. Both 4wd. Both automatic. Cucv cab is just a shell so all of my interior wiring etc is going in that cab. Front end is staying all 76. The more I look at the two, the more it looks like direct bolt on no issues.

Ben

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Also, how do you guys lift the cabs off the frame and have it stable, fairly level and above all, NOT DAMAGE THE CAB? I’m talking lifting with a loader from above. That’s the equipment I have to work with. Don’t want to hear about your engine crane jig, some crazy one man floor jack contraption etc.
No crazy contraption. Strip the cab, leave the windshield and rear glass in. Four people lift the cab and set one side on the ground and the other side up on the frame. Then two of us climbed onto the frame, all four lift and move the cab across the frame to the side. Trans, transfer case and rear drive shaft still mounted in the frame give more spots to walk across the frame.

This method only requires a case of beer or other suitable libation.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
If you have a lift it will make life EASY...er anyway.
You must be registered for see images attach

Outbackjak

Reaction score
First Name
Sa
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
The truck I’m building is a 76. Cab is a mid 80’s cucv cab. Both 4wd. Both automatic. Cucv cab is just a shell so all of my interior wiring etc is going in that cab. Front end is staying all 76. The more I look at the two, the more it looks like direct bolt on no issues.

Ben
Take the tires off

Outbackjak

Reaction score
First Name
Sa
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
No crazy contraption. Strip the cab, leave the windshield and rear glass in. Four people lift the cab and set one side on the ground and the other side up on the frame. Then two of us climbed onto the frame, all four lift and move the cab across the frame to the side. Trans, transfer case and rear drive shaft still mounted in the frame give more spots to walk across the frame.

This method only requires a case of beer or other suitable libation.
Take the tires off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod