Truck stopped idling after fuel ran out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello, hope this is the right place to ask this and isn't some stupid question.

Editing to make simple of all this mess below:
Simple:
Car stoped idiling after it ran out of gas. 79 c10 350. Eldinbrock 1906 carb

Basically as the title says my truck stopped idling after it ran out of gas. It's a 79 c10 with a 350. I just got the truck staurday and it is my first project. Working out all the kinks and learning as I go.
When I ran out I was had just shifted into gear after changing seats with a buddy right outside my house. Then it died in the middle of the street. Didn't realise it was out of fuel at first as the speedometer and fuel gage don't work.
We put some gas in it from a can I had and started to try and start it. Get the fuel flowing. Eventually we rolled it back to the curb and managed to get it started but only when I put some pressure on the gas. Does everything but idle.
I went inside and ate some dinner for about a hour since it was getting dark out. I came back out and decided to try again since it was dark out and the divers side is missing a front window thing and the window on that side dosnt go up all the way. I couldn't get any farther so we had to push it into the driveway as high up as we could. It's just barely off the street. Holy crap that wheele is hard to turn.
Its staying out there for tonight. I put a towel over the seat. I dont care if the insides get too wet. Were swaping cab anyway. Its not gunna rain.
I'm assuming something go sucked into the carb and went past both fuel filters? The fuel filter by the tank is full but the one by the engine is a quarter full.
The engine has a "light" cam in it and has a eldinbrock qv2/1906 on it.

Sorry for a long read just trying to give as much info as possable. I do not know too much yet. If I left anything important out please tell me.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay your post is really confusing. Does it run but not idle? Why are you pushing it up the drive way? It doesn't matter if the filter up by the engine is full or not. If it's got a filter by the engine and by the tank those are both add ons by previous owner and I'd be real interested in seeing how it was done.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay your post is really confusing. Does it run but not idle? Why are you pushing it up the drive way? It doesn't matter if the filter up by the engine is full or not. If it's got a filter by the engine and by the tank those are both add ons by previous owner and I'd be real interested in seeing how it was done.
Sorry. It runs just no idle. I pushed up driveway because it dies ad soon as I get into gear.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Sorry. It runs just no idle. I pushed up driveway because it dies ad soon as I get into gear.
Absolutely no guarantee that this will help,but it's worth a try. Start the engine in neutral Rev it while the rpms are still high stuff a rag and your hand over the top of the carb,choking it big. Open and shut the throttle a couple of times then let the throttle close and let it choke itself out. It will be a bittch to restart because it's going to be flooded,but some times the high vacuum condition you create will draw the dirt through the idle circuit. Probably what's going to end up happening though is your going to have to clean out the idle jets. Not familiar with that carb,so I can't walk you through it.

Last edited:

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Absolutely no guarantee that this will help,but it's worth a try. Start the engine in neutral Rev it whilevrpms are still high stuff a rag and your hand over the top of the carb,choking in it big. Open and shut the throttle a couple of times then let the throttle close and let it choke itself out. It will be a bittch to restart because it's going to be flooded,but some times the high vacuum condition you create will draw the dirt through the idle circuit. Probably what's going to end up happening is your going to have to clean out the idle jets. Not familiar with that carb,so I can't walk you through it.
Open and close the throttle while I'm choking it out? I've heard of that method.
I definately would prefer to not have to mess with the engine. That's where I'm Scared ill break something.
The car has alrety flooded a few times in the 3 days I've owned it. More of my doing.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Open and close the throttle while I'm choking it out? I've heard of that method.
I definately would prefer to not have to mess with the engine. That's where I'm Scared ill break something.
The car has alrety flooded a few times in the 3 days I've owned it. More of my doing.
Should I also replace fuel filters?

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You are going to have to clean the carburetor out, and change the filters. Probably clean out the tank as well. If you are scared to try stuff you are not going to be able to fix the problem. Ricko is giving you the easy thing to try first.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
If you're scared start small and build up momentum. Theres LOTS of yt vids around carbs and fuel systems.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is there any yt vids on the carb trick?

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I have an edelbrock on my 84 that wouldn't idle either. Found out it was getting too much air. So screwed the air/fuel mixture screws on the front of the carb all the way in. Then backed out one and a half turns. Had to play with them a little but now it idles much better. Idk if that is your problem but it worked for me.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have an edelbrock on my 84 that wouldn't idle either. Found out it was getting too much air. So screwed the air/fuel mixture screws on the front of the carb all the way in. Then backed out one and a half turns. Had to play with them a little but now it idles much better. Idk if that is your problem but it worked for me.
I doubt it. It idled just fine w/a little surging? I think that's what it's called. But we just need to turn up the idle fuel. I think it what people said. There's something in the idle thing.

We're going to replace the fuel filters then blow/suck the crap out the carbm

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size