14-bolt FF aftermarket diff cover replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Rather than post in the almost-1300-post "What did you do to your square lately??" thread, I thought I'd post my experience with a Yukon HD diff cover and LubeLocker gasket install on my '86 M1008/K30.

All fluids on the truck were changed by the previous owner of my truck - and verified clean by me - except the rear diff. That fill plug was corroded enough that a 3/8" socket extension wouldn't grab enough to open, which is why I'm pretty sure it was skipped during the other comprehensive maintenance updates. I welded a nut onto the fill plug, got it removed, and found the diff fluid to be full, but milky from some water intrusion at some point. I installed a new fill plug for the time being, and then spent a little coin and ordered a Yukon cover (which has both a fill and drain plug in it), and a LubeLocker gasket.

The Yukon cover is definitely a nice, heavy-duty, piece, and had excellent packaging that allowed it to arrive with the powder coat in pristine condition...very much appreciated. The only snafu I ran into was that the cover was designed for flush-mount cap head bolts (stainless bolts included), which is a great design feature. However, it didn't allow for mounting the two OEM brake line brackets that were originally bolted to the diff cover. I was able to pick up some spacers from Ace Hardware, and three hex-head stainless bolts from my local mom & pop fastener shop (Shamrock Fasteners here in Greeneville, TN), and that did the trick. I chased all of the holes in the center cast section, carefully cleaned the gasket surface, and installed the new cover and fresh new gear oil.

I'm very pleased with the quality and stoutness of the aftermarket cover, and as a first-time user of the LubeLocker gasket, like that I didn't have to use an OEM paper gasket or Permatex Ultra Grey Gasket Maker.

I would definitely recommend both products!

Craig

Attachments

• YukonDiffCover.jpg
    YukonDiffCover.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 46

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Rather than post in the almost-1300-post "What did you do to your square lately??" thread, I thought I'd post my experience with a Yukon HD diff cover and LubeLocker gasket install on my '86 M1008/K30.

All fluids on the truck were changed by the previous owner of my truck - and verified clean by me - except the rear diff. That fill plug was corroded enough that a 3/8" socket extension wouldn't grab enough to open, which is why I'm pretty sure it was skipped during the other comprehensive maintenance updates. I welded a nut onto the fill plug, got it removed, and found the diff fluid to be full, but milky from some water intrusion at some point. I installed a new fill plug for the time being, and then spent a little coin and ordered a Yukon cover (which has both a fill and drain plug in it), and a LubeLocker gasket.

The Yukon cover is definitely a nice, heavy-duty, piece, and had excellent packaging that allowed it to arrive with the powder coat in pristine condition...very much appreciated. The only snafu I ran into was that the cover was designed for flush-mount cap head bolts (stainless bolts included), which is a great design feature. However, it didn't allow for mounting the two OEM brake line brackets that were originally bolted to the diff cover. I was able to pick up some spacers from Ace Hardware, and three hex-head stainless bolts from my local mom & pop fastener shop (Shamrock Fasteners here in Greeneville, TN), and that did the trick. I chased all of the holes in the center cast section, carefully cleaned the gasket surface, and installed the new cover and fresh new gear oil.

I'm very pleased with the quality and stoutness of the aftermarket cover, and as a first-time user of the LubeLocker gasket, like that I didn't have to use an OEM paper gasket or Permatex Ultra Grey Gasket Maker.

I would definitely recommend both products!

Craig
Elastomeric gasket, nice. do they work with the OEM diff cover?

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Elastomeric gasket, nice. do they work with the OEM diff cover?

They should certainly be compatible with the OEM diff cover. It was about 4x the price of a standard gasket, but still only ~$25 IIRC, so a minimal investment. They're also supposed to be reusable...not a big deal for me, but worth mentioning.

Craig

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
They should certainly be compatible with the OEM diff cover. It was about 4x the price of a standard gasket, but still only ~$25 IIRC, so a minimal investment. They're also supposed to be reusable...not a big deal for me, but worth mentioning.

Craig
Yes! I reused the elastomeric gasket on my 1999 buick park avenue transmission pan in 2021 and it did not leak. They are hell of awesome things to have been invented. The backing material is an elastomer and there are basically " o rings" imbeded in the perimeter in multiple rows that seal multiple times against machined surfaces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag