Just Left Shop Help Pls!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
She'll be back. Not everyone drops in 10x a day like we do. She may be back later this evening. Yup, we'll help her get this figured out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Didnt even realize that until you said something then I looked at the screen name.

The steering wheel not being straight is just that. The turn signal not canceling is related to the position of the steering wheel also. Sounds like the shop didnt know what they were doing and tried to reclock the steering wheel to compensate for not aligning correctly and when they did that they broke plastic that keeps the horn from honking when not is use. Then added on they needs a new column as part of the reason for your issues. When you are going down the road straight if you let go of the wheel will the truck go straight or does it pull? Ignore the position of the wheel while thinking about this.

Yes, this. Is it an actual steering pull or is the wheel just off-center?

If it's an actual pull, all the good advice has already been mentioned here. Rotate tires, check for sticking brake, check alignment, check for loose parts, etc.

I also agree that a steering box can cause a pull, but that's not a very common problem.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I learned a long time ago in early 70's you CANNOT trust GM on 4wheel drive alignment specs. That's why they developed the upper ball joint offset and later the shim behind the spindle. 1.5 is way too much camber no matter what you are doing with a rig

Can those spindle shims still be bought somewhere?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I think Moog ,NAPA or Specialty Products carry them. not sure I will check

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
NAPA carried them last year, I got some for my M1009 when I went through the front end.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
NAPA carries their brand Oriellys carries the Moog Brand. They come in different increments of 0.25 degrees , depends on how you clock them. Good instructions

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks. I didn't think the parts stores still sold them.

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I've had this problem as well. Found I had better luck with the small and unknown shops which are ran and owned by the same ole geezer who has probably forgotten more about these trucks then I'll ever know. Don't give up on the truck tho.
I second the local shop suggestion.

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
By the sound of what this 'shop' has done, there's a myriad of things they may have screwed up.
But we can help fix it all!
I wish she would post the name of the shop. CALL OUT THOSE BUMS!
Her truck should be taking her for a ride, not that shop.
These kinds of parasites just PMO!
Posting the shop name would help. I would be more than happy to accompany her to the shop

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Well... no this is not likely. But possibly a stuck caliper... but then you could detect that wheel or rotor getting hot, and most likely would smell burnt brake toast. But sometimes with a well worn pad you can't smell burnt brake like a new pad for example.
So check that brake temp on the side it's pulling...

I checked a brake that was removed the day before, it has cuts into it does that mean the rotor or something else? I have never had rotors go bad with out noise? and also I now have a wobble front right i believe only at certain speeds though! thanks everyone!!

Last edited:

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Posting the shop name would help. I would be more than happy to accompany her to the shop
Oh wow are you in PA and first shop was WV called Jackson's 2nd was Monroe Muffler Waynesburg pa!! I plan on writing a nice review and getting estimate done and having them pay the bill if all goes well!

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Wow look at us. It's like an episode of The Little Rascals when Darla shows up and all the boys tuck in their shirts and fix their hair. THERE'S A GIRL ON THE FORUM!!! Everybody behave!

Anyway, back to trucks. Some vehicle history would be helpful. How long have you had it, when did the problem start? Was it sudden, or gradual? Where there any other steering issues before that? You mentioned another shop. What did they do and is that when the problem originated?

sudden also soon as i got it out of the first shop who screwed me! sorry took forever!

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Sorry, I missed the question.

You were right. It's sad. But the people here will get you steered in the right direction. (See what I did there?)
Ha Ha yeah agreed and left it up to the rest lmao!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB