Just Left Shop Help Pls!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Ok this is so frustrating! I went in for a simple alignment! It turned into a 4 day job....! Needless to say it’s still pulling to the right! I have to hold to the left just to keep it in my lane. They told me the gear box has a worn spot! And that you have to change out steering column and all! $600 they said! From what I researched I’m not sure that is the case. I’m running 33 12.50 15 Muds. Please tell me did I just get took? They have no evidence of the gear box being worn! This is actually a result of another shop knocking it out of alignment I’m starting to lose all trust in shops!!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Yea even if the box was messed up it shouldnt pull its have slop but a pull is an alignment issue or tire pressure/wear

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Sometimes it's the box. If you start the engine and watch the steering wheel it will move slightly to the pull side. The control valve in the gear is usually leaking (O-rings) on one side causing the fluid to bypass. too much camber pulls , too much caster pushes in alignment terms

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB, We need some females around here. We just seem to run them off with our gross dark ball scratchin' humor. Hopefully @Cuba will drop in and there will be 2 of you to stick together and maybe be able to cope with us sick bastards.

As far as the truck... Have they tried cross rotating your front tires yet. If not, give it a try. Left to right and Right to left. You might just have a radial pull or a rolled belt in one of the tires.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So true bout spoon fed!!! My problem is not getting the truth from shops around here been to 2 states nuttin different! Its like they see me coming! I'm ready to give up and sell my truck cause I cant get anyone to fix it. Sorry I just butted right in that was rude of me!

I've had this problem as well. Found I had better luck with the small and unknown shops which are ran and owned by the same ole geezer who has probably forgotten more about these trucks then I'll ever know. Don't give up on the truck tho.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
So true bout spoon fed!!! My problem is not getting the truth from shops around here been to 2 states nuttin different! Its like they see me coming! I'm ready to give up and sell my truck cause I cant get anyone to fix it. Sorry I just butted right in that was rude of me!

What's wrong with your truck? Start a thread, some pretty clever guy's here.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Yea even if the box was messed up it shouldnt pull its have slop but a pull is an alignment issue or tire pressure/wear

Did check tire pressure that's the one thing im kinda good at that and putting gas an oil in it lol anyway the front two read almost exact same maybe half pound off

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Don't sell the truck. We can fix it. I'm just not certain it's your gear box. Where you at in PA? We have a couple members in PA. One of them has a connection for used parts from time to time too, so in the event it is a gear box, he may be able to find a good used one. I just don't buy that ******** though. I've never heard of a bad box causing a pull problem.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Sometimes it's the box. If you start the engine and watch the steering wheel it will move slightly to the pull side. The control valve in the gear is usually leaking (O-rings) on one side causing the fluid to bypass. too much camber pulls , too much caster pushes in alignment terms

wow good to know!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A simple thing to do, as @HotRodPC suggested, is swap tires side to side, or front to rear.

While you have it off, give the rotors a twirl and see if your brakes are dragging.
THIS and also while there feeling for brakes dragging, feel for some bearings grinding or dragging also. How about your hubs? You have manual or auto locking? You're 100% certain you don't have a hub locked in that shouldn't be???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400