Just Left Shop Help Pls!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just had them rotated right before the alignment.
OK, 2 things. #1 are you POSITIVE they actually rotated them? Or did they just say they did? #2 Was this pull there BEFORE you asked for the rotation and the alignment?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah, it's likely been some time since the bearings were packed and adjusted, if ever.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The thought about the box having an internal leak makes sense, but I don’t have faith in most shops to know how to watch for that. Most of the Saginaw problems manifest themselves as slop, but the stuff about replacing the column is bull. I’d do like the guys are saying and take it from the basics. If you couldn’t isolate the problem in the tires, I’d jack up the front end and check steering parts, ball joints, bearings, etc. You didn’t happen to see the alignment specs, did you? The toe should have been nominal for their machinery, but your camber should have been 1.5* positive, which is what it was from the factory in 1985-87. If it wasn’t close to that, something might be broken to have caused a shift.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've had this problem as well. Found I had better luck with the small and unknown shops which are ran and owned by the same ole geezer who has probably forgotten more about these trucks then I'll ever know. Don't give up on the truck tho.

This. ^^^^

Honestly, unless something is bent or worn out you can align a K series in your driveway. There's only two adjustments and you only need to measure one of them.

Well, that and the possible power steering issue discussed in your other thread.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Seen more ps boxes cause problems over the years, more fords than anything but it does HAPPEN. Don't blow me off HRPC, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it never happens!!! Done over 50 years in the front end business ASE certified GM certified all the BS .

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've moved the related posts out of the Rant thread to here. We'll try to keep all the suggestions together in one place. :waytogo:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Like I said when you start the engine and the pump pressures up you can see the steering wheel move . However much depends on how bad the internal leak is. Also if you set up the front end with 1.5 degrees of positive camber I can guarantee you will wear your tires out on the outside edges quickly. 0.25 degrees of camber will be a better setting for almost all trucks 2 or 4 wheel drive. That is what I have learned over the years and has worked very well with very few comebacks

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The thought about the box having an internal leak makes sense, but I don’t have faith in most shops to know how to watch for that. Most of the Saginaw problems manifest themselves as slop, but the stuff about replacing the column is bull. I’d do like the guys are saying and take it from the basics. If you couldn’t isolate the problem in the tires, I’d jack up the front end and check steering parts, ball joints, bearings, etc. You didn’t happen to see the alignment specs, did you? The toe should have been nominal for their machinery, but your camber should have been 1.5* positive, which is what it was from the factory in 1985-87. If it wasn’t close to that, something might be broken to have caused a shift.

You must be registered for see images attach

Why would we want + camber?

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
THIS and also while there feeling for brakes dragging, feel for some bearings grinding or dragging also. How about your hubs? You have manual or auto locking? You're 100% certain you don't have a hub locked in that shouldn't be???

Manual and omg that would be funny special if the shop never even notice it But good point ill check but almost positive there freed

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Wow look at us. It's like an episode of The Little Rascals when Darla shows up and all the boys tuck in their shirts and fix their hair. THERE'S A GIRL ON THE FORUM!!! Everybody behave!

Anyway, back to trucks. Some vehicle history would be helpful. How long have you had it, when did the problem start? Was it sudden, or gradual? Where there any other steering issues before that? You mentioned another shop. What did they do and is that when the problem originated?

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
OK, 2 things. #1 are you POSITIVE they actually rotated them? Or did they just say they did? #2 Was this pull there BEFORE you asked for the rotation and the alignment?
Ha Ha well now that u say that it was my ex that did the rotation and he tends to leave things undone!! But I did here the impact Drill I sure hope he did. And yes the pull was way worse def sharper anyway only difference i see is more play in steering and that it pulls a little less and im not running off the road as fast as before the alignment! and there isn't really any difference in my tires I don't see any worn or in unevenness but i will say this the first time i left the shop my wheel was turned all the way pointing at my driver door he told me he had to get different tools something he had to heat up and there was a broke plastic piece clear actually that was on my floor board i heard my horn blowing a lot well anyway i was driving my horn got stuck on when i never touched it and my left turn signal wouldn't stay on. anyway needless to say he blamed it on so many different things and my truck drove fine in july toward November i put it in a shop it came back out with chips in my paint my heater wired wrong 3/4th gas gone and this awful pull and this cost me $500 they also said they changed my oil an new battery well anyway i think they done something either hit curb or something when they were checkin the brakes maybe! I know the box couldn't have gotten worn in under 2000 miles specially if my tires aren't! Anyway sorry if im slow at responding I'm learning this site slowly lol. Oh butttt now since alignment it pulls when i hit the brake which didn't before unless i couldn't tell over all the other pull it had.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Wow look at us. It's like an episode of The Little Rascals when Darla shows up and all the boys tuck in their shirts and fix their hair. THERE'S A GIRL ON THE FORUM!!! Everybody behave!

Anyway, back to trucks. Some vehicle history would be helpful. How long have you had it, when did the problem start? Was it sudden, or gradual? Where there any other steering issues before that? You mentioned another shop. What did they do and is that when the problem originated?

LOL you ready for the shake down cause its sad

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh butttt now since alignment it pulls when i hit the brake which didn't before unless i couldn't tell over all the other pull it had.

This makes me think a badly warped brake rotor which is dragging? Like maybe the shop dropped the truck with a wheel off. Others will chime in I'm sure.

ChevroletChic3318

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CC
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
LOL you ready for the shake down cause its sad
anyway i got it in July last year it was leaking oil and my batteries kept dien went through an alternator so I -ad it towed there was all kinda oil all underneath on Dry Shaft Axles everything underneath so this shop tells me it is the rear main seal $500 will fix it. Well i said ok week later I go to pick it up and it won't start! I refused to take it on they did was jump it its dark im 45 miles from home. anyway they tell me I only owe them 250$ cause it wasent seal something with oil filter and oil needed tighten and they only had to change oil what not and a new manifold gasket i think. well truck stayed they do nothin but go buy a new battery I en i told them i never want a new in until they found out why the 3 batteries before had to be changed... anyway that's when i got it back a week later lol and my new battery died within a month and read bad cell soo needless to say took battery back then my fusible link goes out my friend jumps over it put it back together and truck never died after but lights are still dimming anyway im fed up I have no man to do the job right and shops are failing me! I'm ready to sell or learn myself! So here I am. OH GOSH hold on i hi tomething on key board and I cant backspace and gotta grab kids from school brb sorry its a mess im rushing

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
This makes me think a badly warped brake rotor which is dragging? Like maybe the shop dropped the truck with a wheel off. Others will chime in I'm sure.

Well... no this is not likely. But possibly a stuck caliper... but then you could detect that wheel or rotor getting hot, and most likely would smell burnt brake toast. But sometimes with a well worn pad you can't smell burnt brake like a new pad for example.
So check that brake temp on the side it's pulling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe