Is the "body shop" tryna rob me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Literally took me 10 years to “complete” my ‘77 from the time I bought it to having it on the road looking the way I want it. I still need to do think like go through the AC but things like this are NOT short term projects unless you have deep pockets and shop that works fast OR if you’re retired with tons of time on your hands lol
Not quite retired yet [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Kinda the same deal here. I was fortunate enough to have a grandfather that left money in his will for his grandkids to go to college on.
I went to technical school for machining

Damn that's cool, i also dual enrolled in a tech school during high school. George T Baker Aviation School in Miami Florida. I graduated high school at 17 with a high school diploma AND a powerplant license to work on aircraft engines. Iwas planning on going on to get the airframe license to work on the sheetmetal too, but my dad started getting sick and I started working to take the load off of him. Dont regret it at all.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Literally took me 10 years to “complete” my ‘77 from the time I bought it to having it on the road looking the way I want it. I still need to do think like go through the AC but things like this are NOT short term projects unless you have deep pockets and shop that works fast OR if you’re retired with tons of time on your hands lol
Holy ****..... Thats like.... Half how long ive been alive right there. Lol Unfortunately cant do that, I NEED to have a muscle car/truck to drive around...i miss that too much. But thank you, this thread has been very helpful even if I didn't get the answers I wanted to hear. I'm gonna put the truck back together and pass it along to someone that has the patience or the pockets. I wouldn't want to cut up the truck in a hurry and end up sending it to the crusher. I'm gonna be posting it for sale soon.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well, I was hoping to encourage you to take it on. I guess that backfired then lol

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Like I said, learning a new skill and/or getting better at an existing skill is never a bad thing! Especially as young as you are if you start learning to do things like weld, metal work, bodywork and things like that now on top of mechanical work you’ll be in awesome shape in no time with the skills you’ve acquired and the satisfaction of building the truck yourself
I understand where you're coming from 100% and I'm definitely gonna learn to do it some day, not only are they very usefull skills but I love working on cars. But I'd like to practive with pieces of sheet metal or an old piece of trash nissan or toyota, not cutting up a chevy truck like a noob. I still am greatly thankful for the sound advice and words of wisdom sir.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Well, I was hoping to encourage you to take it on. I guess that backfired then lol
I appreciate the encouragement. But I've learned the hard way that it's important to recognize when I'm out of my depth. I'd hate to leave the truck just sitting in my garage in pieces for years on end. Specially since it was a running truck when I started taking it apart. I just hadn't realized just how expensive this body work could get.

I had already considered everything mechanical, lines, trannies, engine work, interior, sound wiring, engine electrical... All that I can do and quickly... Its just the body stuff that's knocking it hella outta the park for me.

I just had never had to deal with extensive body work before since like I said, this was my first really old rusted project.

Even my 91 300zx didn't have a spec of rust on it.

I will get another c10 down the line. Nows just not the time.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Haha. As I have gotten older I have tried to not be banned.
Oh you have??? Well try harder and be nice, jerkface!! :crazy:

Kidding lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Haha. As I have gotten older I have tried to not be banned.
Wow you are a freshy lol it’s all good. Sometimes a firm back hand will teach more then a pat on the head. This is a truck forum not a teddy bear stuffing convention. First step with the repair of that truck would be a visit to the doctor for a tetanus shot. Then brace it up and start cutting. Mine was a rusted pile when I got it now it’s just a pile with a bunch of new metal.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
knew this truck would take work the minute I saw it. It just doesn't make sense to me that those are realistic figures for truck people then sell completed for 7k.

Yeah, you can get a nice square for 7k. See them out there all the time. But, there is a special feeling building one too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
7k for a decent paint job and some rust repair too is going to be the norm. It's a lot of labor and a lot of material to get the job done right. The cost of materials is through the roof lately, and don't forget they gotta make some money to pay the bills too. If there's no profit, there's no point in being in business.

And it doesn't matter what you can get a comparable truck for, because it doesn't change how much labor is involved. If paying someone else to do the work, you will never get the money back out of it, period. Heck, you often won't get your money back even if you do it yourself. But that's not the point in the hobby.

Something about bondo just REALLY REALLY gets under my skin. I've taken a intermediate share with cutting a ****** rusty floor out of a 84 k5 I had and welding it l back in, or even doing side body panel repairs, and I'll be the first to tell you it sucks. But the guys out there that take OEM panels, cut, fit, weld, and have no seam on it and it looks factory... Those guys are the real deal. Far beyond my capabilities. We can talk about engines, drivetrain, big axles, whatever, but that body **** is beyond my patience.
The bondo to me tells me you were too cheap or too lazy. It's like putting a veil over a cancer screening at the hospital, "just doesn't exist anymore"

Those guys aren't as good as you think. Yeah, they are good.... but not that good. The guys you see taking their mocked up, metal finished project cars to shows, that's not the last step before prime and paint. There's a reason they DA the whole thing down to give it a uniform finish. They certainly won't spray a gloss clear on them or let you rub your hand down the sides.

They still have to seal them, skim coat the entire body with filler before blocking it, maybe do that one more time, then prime it, probably block it again, then seal it and then paint it.

Some amount of filler has to be applied, no way around it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew