Is the "body shop" tryna rob me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
If you're paying for parts, then that's a complete ripoff IMO. Id like to see his body work inside and out before I pay that much, had better be top notch work with no bondo ****, no body line mismatches, no seams visible, etc

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
He says he is suppling the patch panels, and that price makes sense if they are painting the whole cab after
The 7k is labor for fixing the cab and painting it along with the short bed i will be supplying. No cutting the long bed, I'm gonna be buying a short box.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The frame may be a bit ambitious for a beginner but you can totally learn and tackle patch panel replacement and body work. Just get to learning!

Let me tell you a story so you know where I’m coming from....

When I built my ‘77 longbed I encountered a very similar situation but I’d had mine 100% rust free. I’d already replaced floors, rockers and cab corners and it was free from any major dents. I took it to the body shop to get a quote for bodywork and paint. When they got back to me they quoted me $10,000!!! I was flabbergasted honestly and actually kinda pissed. I took my truck back home. After getting passed that I decided to do the bodywork myself. It was a learning process but I learned as I went and had to go back and redo panels as I went and got more experience but I got the thing bodyworked and ready for paint. I still paid to get paint on it and that alone was $4k but that was better than $10k!!!! Now, for my dually I’m gonna go ahead and take the plunge and paint this one.

Point is, you can learn almost anything and it’ll be skills you can use for the rest of your life! Just takes time and an interest in tackling it
Is say all that rot is a bit ambitious for a dreamer.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
If you're paying for parts, then that's a complete ripoff IMO. Id like to see his body work inside and out before I pay that much, had better be top notch work with no bondo ****, no body line mismatches, no seams visible, etc

He said he had to use bondo. He said there was no way to do it without it. His worked looked good in pictures but like i said I'm not looking for show quality i just want decent paint on it.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
The 7k is labor for fixing the cab and painting it along with the short bed i will be supplying. No cutting the long bed, I'm gonna be buying a short box.

If he's doing a complete paint job, then that figure might be more accurate, I misread that or something, I just thought it was body work for 7k

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
He said he had to use bondo. He said there was no way to do it without it. His worked looked good in pictures but like i said I'm not looking for show quality i just want decent paint on it.

Everybody uses a skim coat of bondo to get the panels flat. Much more than a skim coat and it gets into hack even territory lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

I might have a 1/16”of plastic on mine and it looked just as bad. Plastic is for toys not trucks

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Something about bondo just REALLY REALLY gets under my skin. I've taken a intermediate share with cutting a ****** rusty floor out of a 84 k5 I had and welding it l back in, or even doing side body panel repairs, and I'll be the first to tell you it sucks. But the guys out there that take OEM panels, cut, fit, weld, and have no seam on it and it looks factory... Those guys are the real deal. Far beyond my capabilities. We can talk about engines, drivetrain, big axles, whatever, but that body **** is beyond my patience.
The bondo to me tells me you were too cheap or too lazy. It's like putting a veil over a cancer screening at the hospital, "just doesn't exist anymore"

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
The frame may be a bit ambitious for a beginner but you can totally learn and tackle patch panel replacement and body work. Just get to learning!

Let me tell you a story so you know where I’m coming from....

When I built my ‘77 longbed I encountered a very similar situation but I’d had mine 100% rust free. I’d already replaced floors, rockers and cab corners and it was free from any major dents. I took it to the body shop to get a quote for bodywork and paint. When they got back to me they quoted me $10,000!!! I was flabbergasted honestly and actually kinda pissed. I took my truck back home. After getting passed that I decided to do the bodywork myself. It was a learning process but I learned as I went and had to go back and redo panels as I went and got more experience but I got the thing bodyworked and ready for paint. I still paid to get paint on it and that alone was $4k but that was better than $10k!!!! Now, for my dually I’m gonna go ahead and take the plunge and paint this one.

Point is, you can learn almost anything and it’ll be skills you can use for the rest of your life! Just takes time and an interest in tackling it
Thanks for the advice, and honestly I'd tackle it no problem. But like I said I'm a college student and also work 40+hours a week. The time I have at my disposal doesn't let me do that. It would take me years to get all the work done.

Maybe in 4 years when I'm done with school I will have the time to sit down and tackle a project this large on my own.

But for now based on what I'm learning from this post, this may not be the time for me and I may have to put the truck back together and sell it to someone who can fix it and get me something more drive ready that I can enjoy in what little time I have off.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
That price figure is pretty accurate. My 79 I have been working on its restoration for less than a year currently (around 35 weeks), and I put on average 10 hours of work into it each week. that is minimum 350 hours of labor that I have put into my truck and if I was charging myself $15 an hour (very cheap for body work) that would be $5250 in just labor. It still doesn't have a floor in it yet, I am still another 50+ hours of body work left. I however am not caving and paving with body filler, I am doing all of it with real metal welded together. Add the costs of panels, paint, abrasives and other associated costs and it keeps going upward.

7k for a cave and pave job- no way.
7k for properly dressed welds and metal finishing that only requires a skim coat of filler (not bondo, but a quality filler like 3M platinum plus)- very reasonable.

Having someone bondo it up and then six months later having it all fall off and apart again, then having to pay someone else to fix it the right way the second time around is not fun.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Thanks for the advice, and honestly I'd tackle it no problem. But like I said I'm a college student and also work 40+hours a week. The time I have at my disposal doesn't let me do that. It would take me years to get all the work done.

Maybe in 4 years when I'm done with school I will have the time to sit down and tackle a project this large on my own.

But for now based on what I'm learning from this post, this may not be the time for me and I may have to put the truck back together and sell it to someone who can fix it and get me something more drive ready that I can enjoy in what little time I have off.

Word of advice as a young man myself, after college, you don't have anymore time lol

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Sorry, I'm just a old grumpy purist. Good luck with your build. I forget that everyone doesn't think like me !! Lol
Its alright man, I'm like that too in many ways. 2jz swapped 67 mustang?? Yuck!! But this is THE truck to cut up, it was just junk before I got it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454

Well, decisions are not easy. At the time I made the decision I was newly married and working 40 hours a week. So you either spend the money for someone else to do it or spend the time doing it yourself and have it take longer. You’ll never have more time than you have now. Life never slows down and when it does you have no money lol

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Something about bondo just REALLY REALLY gets under my skin. I've taken a intermediate share with cutting a ****** rusty floor out of a 84 k5 I had and welding it l back in, or even doing side body panel repairs, and I'll be the first to tell you it sucks. But the guys out there that take OEM panels, cut, fit, weld, and have no seam on it and it looks factory... Those guys are the real deal. Far beyond my capabilities. We can talk about engines, drivetrain, big axles, whatever, but that body **** is beyond my patience.
The bondo to me tells me you were too cheap or too lazy. It's like putting a veil over a cancer screening at the hospital, "just doesn't exist anymore"

A skim coat is fine. There’s not a metal guy on the planet that can get metal perfectly straight without a skim coat of bondo. Even Charley Hutton uses it to finish off metalwork

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade