Is the "body shop" tryna rob me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I was actually very specific with the guy. I told him that I would take the truck apart for him, that id leave it in the metal for him, and would even remove the fenders and pull the cab from the frame. I told him I would buy the cab repair kit and I just needed him to cut and weld in the repair kit and give the truck a decent paint job. I told him I was planning on driving ithard once it was done so not to bother with any show like quality or mirror looking paint job.

I told him he didn't have to put it back together either since I would do all of that.

I told him I just needed him to cut the frame and weld it together on certain marks I was going to make for him.

I dont see how I coulda been more specific... Honestly...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Why are you dead set on the short box? I know they are cool but dont you feel like your wasting money there? You have so many more important things to take care of first. Worry about that later

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Honestly, the prices you state along with the work you want done accompanied by the pics the price sounds spot on and don’t be surprised if it ends up being a little higher.

My suggestion to you is no time like the present to start learning how to do the work yourself to save some coin. Paint and bodywork is not cheap and is not a short process either so hours are long which equals money
7 thousand dollars for a drivers floor two cab corners and rockers???? Really?

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
That cab is not even in that bad of shape, if you were gonna deliever him a bare cab and patch panels, 7k Is a joke. Know what I would do. Buy a rust free cab and have it painted. A rust free cab should be a 1k.
Honestly I had not thought about the possibility of finding a "rust free cab" by itself. I would think good cabs by now would only be ones on restored trucks. My truck is a florida only truck for wich i have the original deslership bill of sale to the woman who bought it in 84. In Hillsborough tampa, if this cab has rust on it, i never imagined looking for rust free cabs.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
7 thousand dollars for a drivers floor two cab corners and rockers???? Really?
I assume that $7k includes panel replacement, body work and paint of the truck. Maybe I misread? :shrug: I’ll go back and double check

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Honestly I had not thought about the possibility of finding a "rust free cab" by itself. I would think good cabs by now would only be ones on restored trucks. My truck is a florida only truck for wich i have the original deslership bill of sale to the woman who bought it in 84. In Hillsborough tampa, if this cab has rust on it, i never imagined looking for rust free cabs.

They made A lot of squares check out in AZ you’ll find one

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its a long bed... That I traded for a crashed gsxr, that was not running thrown in a barn, with wires eaten up by rodents. Its not like im cutting up a beautiful looking truck. This thing would've just been a garden ornament...

Sorry, I'm just a old grumpy purist. Good luck with your build. I forget that everyone doesn't think like me !! Lol

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I assume that $7k includes panel replacement, body work and paint of the truck. Maybe I misread? :shrug: I’ll go back and double check
He says he is suppling the patch panels, and that price makes sense if they are painting the whole cab after

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Its alright I understand. I havnt signed up to forums in the back, but im familiar with people coming and asking questions that have been answered a million times and a simple google search would answer.

And I did look in the paint and body section of the forum prior to posting to see if there was any post in relationship to body estimates. But i didn't find any.

I just didn't appreciate you starting off as a dick and hinting I'm just some ignorant 20 year old who's looking for an easy project.

I knew this truck would take work the minute I saw it. It just doesn't make sense to me that those are realistic figures for truck people then sell completed for 7k.

Vehicle value has absolutely zero to to do with how much is invested into it. If you're looking at spending even close to that on this, you have two options, a) learn how to do it yourself, or b)punt on this one, and spend the cash on a solid running complete truck that's in the 7k price range.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Honestly, the prices you state along with the work you want done accompanied by the pics the price sounds spot on and don’t be surprised if it ends up being a little higher.

My suggestion to you is no time like the present to start learning how to do the work yourself to save some coin. Paint and bodywork is not cheap and is not a short process either so hours are long which equals money
I thought about that too. There's some really good write ups on how to do it all. I was gonna dig into the frame myself even but I backed off for fear of messing something up really bad and putting a truck together that wont track straight.

I also have never done body work before and dont know how to weld so itd be a lot of equipment I'd have to buy. And i work full time and take six classes at college. So my time isnt plenty either.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
He says he is suppling the patch panels, and that price makes sense if they are painting the whole cab after
I think he left that detail out but it only makes sense if the $7k also includes getting the truck in paint, as well

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You can literally buy cab corners and rocker panels for 30 bucks a piece lol. Each side floor pan less than or around 100 each. The only “real” work is on the kick panels inside the cab and that’s an easy spot to get to and it doesn’t have to be perfect because it’s supposed to be covered up anyways.

It would be best to find an original short bed box to swap on instead of cutting up a long box into a short box, it gets a little tricky and quite a bit of work.

There’s frame shortening kits out there for pretty cheap and you just follow the intrsuctions and the piece that ends up tying the rails together is part of the instructions and is a template. But then there all the other stuff that comes with shortening a frame. Different driveshaft, brake lines, fuel lines, that kind of stuff

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Why are you dead set on the short box? I know they are cool but dont you feel like your wasting money there? You have so many more important things to take care of first. Worry about that later
Well if the truck was 4x4 I'd lift it and leave it long bed. I even looked at converting it to 4x4 but that requires even harder cutting and welding.

Ive looked at how long beds look static dropped and It doesn't appeal to me.

So if i can't find a price that will fit to have this work done, I'll probably put the truck together get it running right and sell ot to someone that is interested in a long bed.

But like i stated, I'm attached to the truck because its pulled me out of some tight situations and hasn't left me stranded even when I havnt had the dough to take proper care of it.

I feel like I wanna pay it back now. Idk... Sentimental ****.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I thought about that too. There's some really good write ups on how to do it all. I was gonna dig into the frame myself even but I backed off for fear of messing something up really bad and putting a truck together that wont track straight.

I also have never done body work before and dont know how to weld so itd be a lot of equipment I'd have to buy. And i work full time and take six classes at college. So my time isnt plenty either.

The frame may be a bit ambitious for a beginner but you can totally learn and tackle patch panel replacement and body work. Just get to learning!

Let me tell you a story so you know where I’m coming from....

When I built my ‘77 longbed I encountered a very similar situation but I’d had mine 100% rust free. I’d already replaced floors, rockers and cab corners and it was free from any major dents. I took it to the body shop to get a quote for bodywork and paint. When they got back to me they quoted me $10,000!!! I was flabbergasted honestly and actually kinda pissed. I took my truck back home. After getting passed that I decided to do the bodywork myself. It was a learning process but I learned as I went and had to go back and redo panels as I went and got more experience but I got the thing bodyworked and ready for paint. I still paid to get paint on it and that alone was $4k but that was better than $10k!!!! Now, for my dually I’m gonna go ahead and take the plunge and paint this one.

Point is, you can learn almost anything and it’ll be skills you can use for the rest of your life! Just takes time and an interest in tackling it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80