Is the "body shop" tryna rob me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Okay so I've had my truck going on three years now, and I'm emotionally attached to the damn thing. I have it taken apart prrtty good and had a body shop guy come over and quote me
7k in labor for repairing the cab cab(I will attach pictures of extent of rust)
3k in materials
And another 3k for shortening the frame and installing drop notches in the frame.

This is with me buying all the parts, cab corners, bed, frame parts, bolts everything.
And its just a "start" he says it could go up once he puts together a list of materials.

Also this is with me stripping the truck for him. Id be pulling the engine, trans, wiring harness, seat, dash.... Everything. Id leave it in bare metal for him. Including the bed already being off for the cutting of the frame. (see pictures)

Is this realistically what it costs to fix these trucks? Or is this guy tryna take me for a fool?

It seems exorbitantly high considering that the cab corners kit costs no more than 500 and ive been told on this very forum that the truck is not in that bad of a shape. And also the fact that in my area finished, painted trucks in nice condition with 383 strokers and 454s are selling for 4-15k running and with ac.

So whats a realistic figure to fix the body and shorten this truck, shorten the frame and paint it?

Im im the central florida area close to Orlando, anyone know any body shops in the area that wont try to rip me a new one?
Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Get some other prices, I think he's been watching to many of the over priced car build shows on tv!
You got any idea what would be a more accurate figure?

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I am not surprised that your that much in the dark. And it's also no surprise that your a cut it up and make a short box guy. You clearly have no clue what you want. Zero chance your over 20 years old. Look for a new hobby.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I am not surprised that your that much in the dark. And it's also no surprise that your a cut it up and make a short box guy. You clearly have no clue what you want. Zero chance your over 20 years old. Look for a new hobby.
Yikes, I totally agree but don’t gotta be so harsh

My guess is you walked in there and said to him, I have no clue what I’m doing how much will all this cost.

Trying going to a new shop and walk in confident and explain what you want done in detail

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Geesh... Well that was harsh. That was probably my bad tho, this is a spontaneous post. Lemme tell ya a bit about myself. Im actually 23. The garage that truck is parked in is mine, I bought this home about 6 months ago. And since i was busy doing that I havnt had time or money to work on my truck.

I am in the dark because this is my first rusted out project. Ive owned and worked on plenty of my own race cars from ls1 z28s to a 2011 camaro ls3 m6, to a 91 300zx twin turbo etc. . Ive worked as a mechanic since my first job and can take apart cars all day long and build motors, do wiring, diagnosis and some other stuff. But i admit i dont know jack **** about body work. Ive never had the need to know.

And really I wouldn't ask and just take the truck to different shops for estimates but as you can see the truck is kinda not driveable right now, and not many places agree to send someone to take a look.

And because I dont know I seek the knowledge of those that do know. Like in a forum.... Like what this is.

So of your gonna get offended at me for asking some damn questions, then there really isnt much of a point to a forum isnt there?

Its not like im coming in here asking how you swap a 305 to a 454.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Shorten frame, drop notches.... Really?? Why ruin a 84 Chevy truck?? Buy something else to cut up.
Its a long bed... That I traded for a crashed gsxr, that was not running thrown in a barn, with wires eaten up by rodents. Its not like im cutting up a beautiful looking truck. This thing would've just been a garden ornament...

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
Geesh... Well that was harsh. That was probably my bad tho, this is a spontaneous post. Lemme tell ya a bit about myself. Im actually 23. The garage that truck is parked in is mine, I bought this home about 6 months ago. And since i was busy doing that I havnt had time or money to work on my truck.

I am in the dark because this is my first rusted out project. Ive owned and worked on plenty of my own race cars from ls1 z28s to a 2011 camaro ls3 m6, to a 91 300zx twin turbo etc. . Ive worked as a mechanic since my first job and can take apart cars all day long and build motors, do wiring, diagnosis and some other stuff. But i admit i dont know jack **** about body work. Ive never had the need to know.

And really I wouldn't ask and just take the truck to different shops for estimates but as you can see the truck is kinda not driveable right now, and not many places agree to send someone to take a look.

And because I dont know I seek the knowledge of those that do know. Like in a forum.... Like what this is.

So of your gonna get offended at me for asking some damn questions, then there really isnt much of a point to a forum isnt there?

Its not like im coming in here asking how you swap a 305 to a 454.

Sorry. I was a bit harsh. Good luck to you sir.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Realistically, a good quality paint job alone will run north of five grand. And you want to have body work and frame modifications done too. This is why it's become difficult to find a shop that does anything other than collision work. Nobody wants to pay for the time, labor and skill that it takes to do something right. You'd be surprised how quick labor adds up for all the sanding and prep work to get all the coats of paint correct. Not to mention all the consumable shop supplies, they don't exactly give that stuff away anymore.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Yikes, I totally agree but don’t gotta be so harsh

My guess is you walked in there and said to him, I have no clue what I’m doing how much will all this cost.

Trying going to a new shop and walk in confident and explain what you want done in detail
I was actually very specific with the guy. I told him that I would take the truck apart for him, that id leave it in the metal for him, and would even remove the fenders and pull the cab from the frame. I told him I would buy the cab repair kit and I just needed him to cut and weld in the repair kit and give the truck a decent paint job. I told him I was planning on driving ithard once it was done so not to bother with any show like quality or mirror looking paint job.

I told him he didn't have to put it back together either since I would do all of that.

I told him I just needed him to cut the frame and weld it together on certain marks I was going to make for him.

I dont see how I coulda been more specific... Honestly...

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I looked at a short bed before I bought the red truck I have now. The easy route on that truck was going to be to find a donor front clip, and bed. I was going to have to replace both cab corners and a rocker. I was figuring at least 5K just in the paint and replacing the corners and rocker. Plus any body work on the donor items.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
That cab is not even in that bad of shape, if you were gonna deliever him a bare cab and patch panels, 7k Is a joke. Know what I would do. Buy a rust free cab and have it painted. A rust free cab should be a 1k.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Sorry. I was a bit harsh. Good luck to you sir.
Its alright I understand. I havnt signed up to forums in the back, but im familiar with people coming and asking questions that have been answered a million times and a simple google search would answer.

And I did look in the paint and body section of the forum prior to posting to see if there was any post in relationship to body estimates. But i didn't find any.

I just didn't appreciate you starting off as a dick and hinting I'm just some ignorant 20 year old who's looking for an easy project.

I knew this truck would take work the minute I saw it. It just doesn't make sense to me that those are realistic figures for truck people then sell completed for 7k.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Honestly, the prices you state along with the work you want done accompanied by the pics the price sounds spot on and don’t be surprised if it ends up being a little higher.

My suggestion to you is no time like the present to start learning how to do the work yourself to save some coin. Paint and bodywork is not cheap and is not a short process either so hours are long which equals money

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8