Irish's pickup from hell, the 454SS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Well **** got real!

First piece of news, I think retro will like this one. I wanted to use the factory brackets that hold stuff on the engine so they all got modified to fit. The throttle bracket had to be cut and welded together to fit. I spent hours welding it together and grinding it smooth to look factory! In this picture its just in the mockup phase, I will get a shot of it after everything is painted.

You must be registered for see images attach

My other forum informed me I was far from done with this engine. I was not thinking about that after market cam I installed and was thinking the non adjustable steel stamped rockers and stock length pushrods would be fine. Its incredible how one thing leads to another and some how I ended up with these beautiful rockers arms that will be hiding under a stock valve cover (if they still fit).

So now I understand why everyone just goes with flat out premium speed parts in the begining. I now have a full roller valve train on some crap ass gen V truck heads. I should pick up a little horse power with the savings in weight and resistance but it would really go great with some free flowing heads. Oh well, down the road I can re use all this crap on different heads, I am just excited to get this done so I can drive my truck again.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I should have your TB boxed up and ready to go in a few days.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Well **** got real!

First piece of news, I think retro will like this one. I wanted to use the factory brackets that hold stuff on the engine so they all got modified to fit. The throttle bracket had to be cut and welded together to fit. I spent hours welding it together and grinding it smooth to look factory! In this picture its just in the mockup phase, I will get a shot of it after everything is painted.

Niccee...

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The pictures of those rockers are deceiving because of all the comp cams logo's in the pictures, those are actually summit brand rockers that were a real bargain. A "bargain" is not good when assembling an engine but I gave them a shot because I am a sucker for anodized aluminum parts. My original plan was to buy some comp cams stamped steel roller tip rockers for around the same price.

If you dont read hotrod magazine you should, I just got done reading a really good article about counterfeit sub par performance parts and all the reasons they are bad, I was really wondering what these rockers would look like up close. They look absolutely perfect! The fulcrum moves perfectly, the roller tips feel very good and the machine work (not cast aluminum rockers) is top notch with a perfect finish.

I have always wondered about the quality of speed parts stamped with Jegs or summit logo's, I figured no reputable retail brand would sell junk **** with their name on it and I was right, they look bad ass and would recommend them to anyone assembling an engine.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
She's coming along!!! :D

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Sub'd... keep up the good work

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Looks good. You're making me want to pull my 454 and stroke it to a 496. I plan on keeping the stock heads though to build the low end torque for towing.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The pictures of those rockers are deceiving because of all the comp cams logo's in the pictures, those are actually summit brand rockers that were a real bargain. A "bargain" is not good when assembling an engine but I gave them a shot because I am a sucker for anodized aluminum parts. My original plan was to buy some comp cams stamped steel roller tip rockers for around the same price.

If you dont read hotrod magazine you should, I just got done reading a really good article about counterfeit sub par performance parts and all the reasons they are bad, I was really wondering what these rockers would look like up close. They look absolutely perfect! The fulcrum moves perfectly, the roller tips feel very good and the machine work (not cast aluminum rockers) is top notch with a perfect finish.

I have always wondered about the quality of speed parts stamped with Jegs or summit logo's, I figured no reputable retail brand would sell junk **** with their name on it and I was right, they look bad ass and would recommend them to anyone assembling an engine.

I just got done reading that Hot Rod article too. Good stuff there.

Good to hear about the quality of parts marketed by the warehouses, such as Summit and Jegs. I have been contemplating buying some of their stuff also.

Been ninja watching this thread, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Where is this article? Is it on the internet yet?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It is in the Nov. 2013 issue. I did not see it online yet. I edited my previous post to make clear which way certain comments were pointed. Hope I didn't get misunderstood.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Well **** got real!

My other forum informed me I was far from done with this engine. I was not thinking about that after market cam I installed and was thinking the non adjustable steel stamped rockers and stock length pushrods would be fine. Its incredible how one thing leads to another and some how I ended up with these beautiful rockers arms that will be hiding under a stock valve cover (if they still fit).

So now I understand why everyone just goes with flat out premium speed parts in the begining. I now have a full roller valve train on some crap ass gen V truck heads. I should pick up a little horse power with the savings in weight and resistance but it would really go great with some free flowing heads. Oh well, down the road I can re use all this crap on different heads, I am just excited to get this done so I can drive my truck again.

yup them are good rockers,, i have the same brand on my 425hp 357cid,, ya might think about chrome-molly pushrods,, i have them too.. wouldnt want a bent push rod now would we?:emotions122:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Imann...you getting any of my messages?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Spider and dog bones finally showed up, here is how they look when installed.

Well I really wanted this engine to appear some what factory so I was planning on running the stock valve covers. Now I cant run them because of the rock nuts, the rockers are to pretty to get rid of so I guess I have to settle on aftermarket tall valve covers, damn it.

Part of me wants to send these rockers back and get some stamped metal roller tip rockers that fit under the valve cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666