Irish's pickup from hell, the 454SS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Hehe im in the same boat. I pulled my Powerstroke out with a cherry picker rated at 1000 lbs... I was bending my crow bar with every pump. Then Id turn it over and bend it back! Lol. Similar story with my 6.2... And its also on a harbor freight 750 lb engine stand lol. I decided my Powerstroke would be better on the floor lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Hehe im in the same boat. I pulled my Powerstroke out with a cherry picker rated at 1000 lbs... I was bending my crow bar with every pump. Then Id turn it over and bend it back! Lol. Similar story with my 6.2... And its also on a harbor freight 750 lb engine stand lol. I decided my Powerstroke would be better on the floor lol

Its okay until you get heads on, then stuff is gonna get scary! Its so ****** hot here I usually work in my garage in shorts and flip flops, imagine a big block falling on bare feet.......

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its okay until you get heads on, then stuff is gonna get scary! Its so ****** hot here I usually work in my garage in shorts and flip flops, imagine a big block falling on bare feet.......

:laughing1: Now do you really think it's going to hurt any less if you have shoes on? Uhhhh noo !!! Crushed bones are crushed bones.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Its okay until you get heads on, then stuff is gonna get scary!

This was a fully dressed Powerstroke lol. My buddy said he had a stripped down Stroker delivered to him and it was something like 950lbs so Im WAYY over that cherry pickers load lol

And they proved on mythbusters if you wear steel toes and the objects heavy... such as a BBC... then it will actually bend the steel down chopping off your toes. Thatll ruin your day. Id take the broken feet lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I usually wear workboots everywhere, they are composite toe. These boots are just about done for, maybe I will give them the viking death and drop a big block on them when I am swapping engines just to see what happens (not with my foot in it).

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Them composite toes are suppost to be the best thing since sliced bread! Best of both worlds: toe protection without toe chopping consequences!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Them composite toes are suppost to be the best thing since sliced bread! Best of both worlds: toe protection without toe chopping consequences!

Dont forget how much lighter the boots are! Ever notice how when you wear steel toes in the freezing cold your toes never seem to get warm? Composite toe also eliminates that!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

kinada

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Cool truck Irish. Makes me miss my 92. But they certainly arent what you'd call fast in stock trim. A vortech kit transformed mine. Did I say I miss it? :(

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Might get 14 if it`s fuel injected. i think thats what a friend says he`s getting with His 3/4 ton.

What transmission/gear ratio is he using to help him get that fuel mileage? I remember Evil Crew Cab saying he bumped his 454 up into the teens by swapping in a 4L80-E.

Yep, that would be a Peanut Port Big Block.

So are the oval ports better for performance and towing?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Looking good!

Posted From Hell

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What transmission/gear ratio is he using to help him get that fuel mileage? I remember Evil Crew Cab saying he bumped his 454 up into the teens by swapping in a 4L80-E.

So are the oval ports better for performance and towing?

The rectangular port BBC heards are best for big performance. The standard oval port heads are best for street performance. The peanut port (small oval) heads are best for a work truck, daily driver and towing. They are designed for all low end grunt and torque and their peak performance is all done by 4500-4700 rpm, so if you intend to spin the motor over 4500 and make good power, then step into the big or standard oval port heads, cast # ending in 049 or 781.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What transmission/gear ratio is he using to help him get that fuel mileage? I remember Evil Crew Cab saying he bumped his 454 up into the teens by swapping in a 4L80-E

My 84 C20 is a pooly tuned Q Jet 454, Th400, and 3.21 rear gear on stock OEM 31in tall skinny tires. Cruise set at 65mph, I've gotten 13.2mpg with a light load in the bed of the truck below the bed sides. Wind was light to none. And that's for a round trip of 70 miles East, and 70 miles West with an accurate odometer and speedometer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't forget to get with Auto Zone and borrow that Balancer Installer tool. That's just about the only way you'll get the balancer on without damaging it. I have a feeling that's why mine slipped. Someone beat it on and damaged the rubber innerds. It's actually a super tight press fit. And don't try to bolt it on using the bolt. You won't be grabbing enough threads and will strip and pull the threads out of the crank. The puller tool allows you to grab all the threads in the crank then press is on. Just plan on using the tool and do it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody