Irish's pickup from hell, the 454SS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Kinda makes me wanna build a 454 lol. Iv got a bare block back in the shed, already bored .060 over. But I don't think I could swallow 9 mpg after dumping several grand into it lol
Might get 14 if it`s fuel injected. i think thats what a friend says he`s getting with His 3/4 ton.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Kinda makes me wanna build a 454 lol. Iv got a bare block back in the shed, already bored .060 over. But I don't think I could swallow 9 mpg after dumping several grand into it lol

I just limit my driving, I can literally see the pile of dirt I was running a dozer on last night from my front porch so its no big deal. Even when I was living an hour away I would drive it a couple miles to my friends house and just ride to work with him. I lived out of town so I usually just planned my trips so I could get everything done in one shot. In all honesty filling it up does not really hurt me much more than daily driving my 85. At one point I had my 85 getting 17mpg, caluclated and confirmed thanks to my telephone.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
In other news, the engine in the truck right now is done for. I am surprised it lasted this long. The oil pressure has been getting progressively worse and the latest things is the lifters collapsing and dropping cylinders, you have to rev it and get oil pressure before it runs right. Its always had a miss and I think its been the oil pressure causing the lifters to not lift valves. Well this morning I stopped at the store on my way home from work, went to start it and the ****** thing would barely run. Immediatly had rod knocking and thats it, barely made it home. Im on foot now.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Might get 14 if it`s fuel injected. i think thats what a friend says he`s getting with His 3/4 ton.

Thats pretty good, I have always herd they get 10 regardless of how you drive it or what its in. I think with a roller drive train and a all the TBi stuff working right I could probably do that.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
I had a Ford 460 a few months back and I cleared 11. Woot! Fuel injected w/ 3.55s

If I could actually get 14 mixed town and highway, that would be sweet! Although Im liking the 18 im getting with the ol 6.2 lol. Luckily I haven't had to tow/haul anything so 155 ponies is enough lol

Anyways, back on topic: Yea, knocking, no good lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Well need some help guys, I am going to cross reference so parts numbers to figure it out but still figured I would ask. I am missing all the bolts for the oil pan, timing chain cover and all that ****. I was just going to order ARP but since I wont be driving the truck I am thinking about robbing all the fasteners and **** off the old motor, think its all the same stuff?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well need some help guys, I am going to cross reference so parts numbers to figure it out but still figured I would ask. I am missing all the bolts for the oil pan, timing chain cover and all that ****. I was just going to order ARP but since I wont be driving the truck I am thinking about robbing all the fasteners and **** off the old motor, think its all the same stuff?

Do they visually look the same ??? If so, then gofoit. :party36::cheers:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Should be the same.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's a purdy mutha fugger !!! I just wish it were an 18cc dome piston, and I'da done a double roller timing chain. That's OK though. Keep that compression low and you can sneak you a little Nitrous boost on that bitch. I wouldn't go to big though sicne you're not using forged pistons. I limit it to a 125 shot and be sure not to run it to lean. It'll only take a few lean passes even with a small 125 shot to cook your pistons, rings or ring landings on the pistons.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is Purdy, when You want Me there to shove it into My pickup???

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
If you can imagine the complete opposite of how clean that engine is, then you've got my 6.2L lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That's a purdy mutha fugger !!! I just wish it were an 18cc dome piston, and I'da done a double roller timing chain. That's OK though. Keep that compression low and you can sneak you a little Nitrous boost on that bitch. I wouldn't go to big though sicne you're not using forged pistons. I limit it to a 125 shot and be sure not to run it to lean. It'll only take a few lean passes even with a small 125 shot to cook your pistons, rings or ring landings on the pistons.

These pistons should work for now, later on when I change heads I will gain a little more compression. I just want it back on the road mostly :rockit:

I like how the factory timing chain cover and factory valve covers look so I had to go with a single roller chain. That is actually a GM performance set they put on their 502 crate motors, it even came with a wear plate and bolts to attach it to the block, at least I think its a wear plate, if it needs a torrington bearing **** is gonna suck.

Jegs has a really tempting heavy duty rebuild kit for the TH400 for a couple hundred bucks, they also sell B&M shift improver kits for cheap. I am thinking about doing the trans after I break in the engine, I want neck snapping shifts.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you can imagine the complete opposite of how clean that engine is, then you've got my 6.2L lol

Those are some greezy suns of bitches! Harbor freight sells a nice little gas pressure washer that could fix that, just cover everything in degreaser spray and get after it. I did it to my 85 one time and it looked way nicer in the engine compartment.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That is Purdy, when You want Me there to shove it into My pickup???

Hell yeah! Right into the bed so I can move it to the other side of the yard where the truck is.

I have 1K pounds of engine on a harbor freight stand that barely wants to roll on concrete and between the engine and the truck its going in is a sea of gravel and a grassy yard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whythoughs