Irish's pickup from hell, the 454SS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you like driving with a steering wheel rubbing your dick and your head rubbing the headliner they where a great setup but I gave them to a friend :hahano:

Yeah, that seat looked way uncomfy for that truck.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I write in service manuals if the information is wrong. I've come across a bit of wrong info in them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You better plan on getting one of these too for working on your SS truck.

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I write in service manuals if the information is wrong. I've come across a bit of wrong info in them.

I will for that reason too. And yes, it's not all that uncommon to find wrong **** in some manual. I've even found a misspelling in a GM Service Manual. I even had to go look up the word to make sure I wasn't wrong. I forget now what the hell that was. Seems it was a GM Training Text Manual for 4L60-E transmissions.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My van's service manual shows the wrong plug wire routing.

ohhh, now that's way jacked up. Especially for a dummy that is depending on the book.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Lovely build, Irish. I remember I was heading to Darlington to the race a couple of months back, and they were having a swap meet in South Carolina somewhere, and out there was (from what I could tell) a fully-restored 454SS. It was sexy. If wouldn't have been riding with friends down there, I would diffidently took a stop for a couple of hours and checked everything out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I think that is the tool he rented for pulling his harmonic balancer.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Lovely build, Irish. I remember I was heading to Darlington to the race a couple of months back, and they were having a swap meet in South Carolina somewhere, and out there was (from what I could tell) a fully-restored 454SS. It was sexy. If wouldn't have been riding with friends down there, I would diffidently took a stop for a couple of hours and checked everything out.

Thanks man! If you ever see another one snag some pictures, they are pretty rare trucks. Here is a story about how rare they are:

I linked up with a guy in Seirra Vista Az that owns a machine shop, he invited me to his house to do some horse trading and what I saw when I got there was mind blowing. This guy had secluded acreage out in the desert with literally the most impressive collection of cool **** I have ever seen. This was so incredible I am going back with a camera and asking if I could tell Hotrod magazine about this place. There was literally 100 vehicles parked around this place, it was the mecca of Chevy trucks. You name it and he had one, I did not want to leave. It was like car guy heaven, he had one shop set up just for engines. It had shelves packed with blocks, heads, carbs everything you could imagine. The shop next to it was like his assembly area, he had a beautifull 68 chevy truck all restored he was building. This **** was so ridiculous, he had a factory 383 Dodge Dart drag car on a trailer in awesome shape.

I wanted to bow to this guy for being so bad ass, first thing he said when I pulled up was, "hey thats a rare one, where did you find that?" Ten bucks says If I did not score this truck he probably would have.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
wtf IS THAT?

Yeah. It's a tool for pressing on your harmonic balancer. You don't want to beat the balancer on. I think that's what someone did to mine and it caused the balancer to spin and be out about 140-160 degrees.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

OHHH, yeah I remember seeing a post on facebook from him about harmonic balancers. I just saw a nice snap on unit on craigslist, I do need to snag one. Actually, I used my harbor freight power steering pulley kit to pull the harmonic balancer off my small block, I just cant remember how I set it up.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Thanks man! If you ever see another one snag some pictures, they are pretty rare trucks. Here is a story about how rare they are:

I linked up with a guy in Seirra Vista Az that owns a machine shop, he invited me to his house to do some horse trading and what I saw when I got there was mind blowing. This guy had secluded acreage out in the desert with literally the most impressive collection of cool **** I have ever seen. This was so incredible I am going back with a camera and asking if I could tell Hotrod magazine about this place. There was literally 100 vehicles parked around this place, it was the mecca of Chevy trucks. You name it and he had one, I did not want to leave. It was like car guy heaven, he had one shop set up just for engines. It had shelves packed with blocks, heads, carbs everything you could imagine. The shop next to it was like his assembly area, he had a beautifull 68 chevy truck all restored he was building. This **** was so ridiculous, he had a factory 383 Dodge Dart drag car on a trailer in awesome shape.

I wanted to bow to this guy for being so bad ass, first thing he said when I pulled up was, "hey thats a rare one, where did you find that?" Ten bucks says If I did not score this truck he probably would have.

Whenever you meet people like that, it makes you both sad and happy, at least for me. Happy because he's enjoying (at least I would hope) the life that he's set out to live and gathered an amazing collection, but I get sad whenever I think about those kick ass people one day kicking the bucket, and those collections being sold off to people who would probably give less than a rat's ass about it. The people who gather the rights to those sorts of things tend to do that whenever the original owner dies. At least from my experience.

But seriously would LOVE to see some pictures man, I'll probably be jaw-dropping through everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator