Irish's pickup from hell, the 454SS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
**** Jason for the price you can't bet it. It is diffidently a worth while project.
I was just curious what your plans are for it. I do have a buddy here that has some drop spindles for that year, not sure of how much of a drop, but I could see if he still has them and how much of a drop they are, and how much he wants for them if you would like.

Hell yeah dude, if they are cheap I will use them. One of the next things I was planning was a new set of balljoints and tie rod ends, I would like to lower it eventually so that would be perfect timing. Let me know what he wants for em.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
:lol: I gotcha!! hahaha....Is it something that you can fix by taking the door off, bending the brackets back and the door is fixed? or are the brackets bent to bad to do that?

I might get new brackets but first I am going to get a floor jack and jack up on the door and see if it gets better. Both doors on the 85 were about the same and I got them closing and adjusted better than factory.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
^^^another good idea :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OH man, the dreaded GMT400 door issue. Just so you know, you'll be ahead of the game in the long run, just to hit up a body shop sometime and glue you on a new set of hinges and be done with it and you should be good for another 10 years till you'll need pins again, replace those and you might get 3-5 years our of those then it'll be time for hinges again.

Sooner or later someone needs to design a permanent fix for those where you can drill out the holes, put in some oversise thicker brass bushings, then new pins and be done with it. This way you can just replace the pins and bushings as a kit and actually have it work well.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah, I had to replace the hinge pins and bushings in both my '95 Silvy (both doors) and my '99 Denali (driver door). By the time I got rid of the '95 it needed it again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I think it's actually the hinge hole where the brass bushing goes get's egg shaped, so it doesn't support the new bushing well, so it doesn't last all that long. If someone could come up with over size bushings where you'd drill the hole out round again, and with a meatier bushing, and maybe even just make a roller bearing like a roller skate wheel with a shoulder on it to keep it from falling thru the hole, a tad thicker stronger pin, it would last so much longer and maybe even a permanent fix without replacing the hinges.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Badass dood. I love new projects especially ones that run lol

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Gen VI big block I am assembling for the pickup from hell....

You must be registered for see images attach

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Aren't the Gen VI bearing specs tighter than Gen IV???

So is this the motor out of your SS or did you come up with another core?

Did you ever get your head casting #'s off the heads?

Sure wish I was closer. I got a boner seeing a Big Block on an engine stand !!! :manos:

WTF you doing writing in that book? I never write in books. You'd be surprised at what some books do in value. Not when they're writtin in though.

Take a look anywhere you want. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Ebay etc. Price the Book, Building and Modifying the Turbo 400 by Ron Sessions. I wish I had about 10 of them. And keep in mind, the books your going to find are used, not brand new. Just take a looksee !!!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just do`nt know how I missed this thread, that is one heck of a pickup. I just love them BB enjuns.
Nice find, good to see the baggage, on the hood, get immediately elimernatered. LOL

OH man, the dreaded GMT400 door issue. Just so you know, you'll be ahead of the game in the long run, just to hit up a body shop sometime and glue you on a new set of hinges and be done with it and you should be good for another 10 years till you'll need pins again, replace those and you might get 3-5 years our of those then it'll be time for hinges again.

Sooner or later someone needs to design a permanent fix for those where you can drill out the holes, put in some oversise thicker brass bushings, then new pins and be done with it. This way you can just replace the pins and bushings as a kit and actually have it work well.

Those hinges are a bearcat, to drill them welds, well, not so much to drill them, just to get a drill into there to get them drilled, then, there is always some that gets missed and needs to be chiseled, to get the hinge half to release, been there, done that, on half a dozen or so of them.

Yes, it would be great, to see someone make hinges for these, about three times thicker, with bushings to match and, a hinge pin about a half an inch in diameter, that`d fixum. :jester:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Aren't the Gen VI bearing specs tighter than Gen IV???

So is this the motor out of your SS or did you come up with another core?

Did you ever get your head casting #'s off the heads?

Sure wish I was closer. I got a boner seeing a Big Block on an engine stand !!! :manos:

WTF you doing writing in that book? I never write in books. You'd be surprised at what some books do in value. Not when they're writtin in though.

Take a look anywhere you want. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Ebay etc. Price the Book, Building and Modifying the Turbo 400 by Ron Sessions. I wish I had about 10 of them. And keep in mind, the books your going to find are used, not brand new. Just take a looksee !!!

This is a gen VI I got from a guy that owns a machine shop in Seirra Vista, the engine in my truck right now is a gen IIII. They went to a V engine and the turbo 700R trans in 91 so my truck has the old stuff.

I will post more pictures as stuff shows up in the mail and i start assembling this thing, there is a comp cams hydraulic lifter/cam kit showing up today! I will get some casting numbers off these heads, they are supposed to be vortecs.

I always write in these chilton manuals, usually when I get a car the first thing I buy is a manual and its like locked to that car. I wont write in my other books, just ones specific to a certain car. I will have to check out that book on the Turbo 400 transmission, thats the next thing I rebuild for this truck and I am totally clueless on transmissions.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Whats wrong with the buckets in that truck lol. Id be interested in swapping you my bench for your buckets! :)

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Whats wrong with the buckets in that truck lol. Id be interested in swapping you my bench for your buckets! :)

If you like driving with a steering wheel rubbing your dick and your head rubbing the headliner they where a great setup but I gave them to a friend :hahano:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53