i dont know how 4 wheel drive works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
ya I just said that. this is my first older truck and I don't know how this 4 wheel drive works, or what the different settings are. there are lockouts on the front but I don't want to start messing with stuff and mess it up... can anyone walk me through how these settings work. currently ive been driving around Hloc with the lockouts on free setting... again I don't know if this is right but its working lol

Attachments

• 4x4.jpg
    4x4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 131

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
that shift pattern in your pic is for a 203 full time transfer case. it might have been converted to part time. to find out leave the hubs unlocked and shift the transfer into high, see if the truck moves. if it does it has been converted, it doesn't it means someone put hubs on it but didn't convert the transfer case. btw if it doesn't move shut the truck off before trying to sift it back into hi-lock. if the transfer has not been converted you could convert it or put a part time transfer case in. I would install a 205. highdesertranger

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
that shift pattern in your pic is for a 203 full time transfer case. it might have been converted to part time. to find out leave the hubs unlocked and shift the transfer into high, see if the truck moves. if it does it has been converted, it doesn't it means someone put hubs on it but didn't convert the transfer case. btw if it doesn't move shut the truck off before trying to sift it back into hi-lock. if the transfer has not been converted you could convert it or put a part time transfer case in. I would install a 205. highdesertranger

so I gave that a shot and she still moves... I know I don't know anything but whoudnt it move no matter what just from the back wheels?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
no it wouldn't move if it wasn't converted. the full time differential in the transfer case would send all the power to the front axle and with the hubs unlocked the truck wouldn't move. but that's good that it moved that means it's been converted. now the H means 2wd hi. the HLOC means 4wd hi. same with the low L means 2wd low. L LOC means 4wd low. of course to use the 4wd you must engage the manual locking hubs. hope this helps. highdesertranger

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
no it wouldn't move if it wasn't converted. the full time differential in the transfer case would send all the power to the front axle and with the hubs unlocked the truck wouldn't move. but that's good that it moved that means it's been converted. now the H means 2wd hi. the HLOC means 4wd hi. same with the low L means 2wd low. L LOC means 4wd low. of course to use the 4wd you must engage the manual locking hubs. hope this helps. highdesertranger

that is awesome! I appreciate it a lot... now driving around with it in 4loc with the hubs unlocked does that hurt it any, because im going on about two weeks like that? ive also heard there is a kit to install, so if/when I want to engage 4 wheel drive I would not have to get out and lock them. is there such thing or was I reading wrong?

Last edited:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
You are all good . I would stay with manual hubs , just lock them when you think you will need 4wd ahead of time. I live in the snow country and I leave my hubs locked most of the time in the winter even when I am not in 4wd in case I need it. I will unlock them if I have to run out on the hwy. at 70mph though.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You are all good . I would stay with manual hubs , just lock them when you think you will need 4wd ahead of time. I live in the snow country and I leave my hubs locked most of the time in the winter even when I am not in 4wd in case I need it. I will unlock them if I have to run out on the hwy. at 70mph though.

so winter time rolls around in Nebraska, I can just lock them and run it on the H setting.. then if needed I can engage Hloc from there to turn on the 4 wheel drive?

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I appreciate the help from everyone here. glad I can get help that's hard to find anywhere else. so thanks again!

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
A note to add, it's recommended to run the truck in 4wd for a few miles a week to ensure that oil is evenly distributed throughout the transfer case.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Just want to add a little more explanation of how the NP203 transfer case works and what to watch out for.

These links have a description of the NP 203. Ignore the section on 203/205 doublers, since you do not have one, but read through the part about conversion to part time.
http://www.4wdhub.com/tcase/np203.html
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/new-process-203-transfer-case-tech-20599.html

Important for your converted NP 203 - The disadvantage of the conversion kit is that when in 2WD position the chain does not move and splash oil throughout the transfer case. This will cause significant wear and eventual failure. The solution is to lock the hubs and put it in 4 Loc for 10-15 miles each month so that the transfer case is fully lubricated, and always keep it topped up with high quality motor oil. I use full synthetic 10w30 motor oil in my NP203.

Bruce

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A note to add, it's recommended to run the truck in 4wd for a few miles a week to ensure that oil is evenly distributed throughout the transfer case.

lets say I put it in Hloc without the hubs locked...will that still accomplish the same goal, just not rotate the front tires?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
lets say I put it in Hloc without the hubs locked...will that still accomplish the same goal, just not rotate the front tires?
In Loc (HiLoc or LoLoc), the transfer case locks the driveshafts to the front and rear at the same speed. Meaning that the front and rear axles spin at the same rate.

You would be able to drive no problem with the hubs unlocked. Probably have some lower fuel economy since you're spinning everything but the front wheels, but you won't hurt anything.

Hi/Lo Loc also allows you to limp yourself home if you happen to blow a driveshaft or u joint as well.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
In Loc (HiLoc or LoLoc), the transfer case locks the driveshafts to the front and rear at the same speed. Meaning that the front and rear axles spin at the same rate.

You would be able to drive no problem with the hubs unlocked. Probably have some lower fuel economy since you're spinning everything but the front wheels, but you won't hurt anything.

Hi/Lo Loc also allows you to limp yourself home if you happen to blow a driveshaft or u joint as well.

but as far as getting the chain to rotate and slap oil around, keeping things lubed, does that still happen if the hubs aren't locked? I guess in my head in would just not turn the wheels, but the chain should still slap around right...

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
but as far as getting the chain to rotate and slap oil around, keeping things lubed, does that still happen if the hubs aren't locked? I guess in my head in would just not turn the wheels, but the chain should still slap around right...
Yup. Everything will be rotating and be power all the way up to the outer axle shafts. The hubs only disconnect the wheel hub from the outer axle shaft.

So yes, everything will be lubed appropriately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody