I want to drive an '89 suburban 700 miles home, what should I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
"I Just Bought A 19XX __________ And Driving It 600 Miles Home" videos are popular on youtube.
They are entertaining and beat watching reality tv and cable news.

You mentioned that the Suburban is a "driver" meaning to me, that it is currently in use and has not been sitting. A driver tends to have issues that are minor or can be maintained. A efi truck that has been sitting in the desert will have surprises. Electronics tends to fail on new products within a short period of time; that would include old trucks that have not been used. The in tank fuel pump, the ignition module, coil, relays, etc. Brakes lines are notorious on GM trucks for failure.

That said, if it is a regular driver, that is better. Take your hotel money and invest it in tools when you arrive. A jack, 20v impact, harbor freight tool kit, air inflator, lubricants, coolant, etc. A Suburban has seats in back that fold down; you can use that area for sleeping. Use a truck stop ie Loves, for showers.

Below are two videos from NoNonSenseNoHow. Both are long. They traveled from Pennsylvania to Arizona to drive back Suburbans. The first was a 1973 454. It was a fail. The 2nd was a newer small block, and even though it was in much better condition, still required a lot of stopping, diagnosing, sitting along the side of the road and tracking down parts to keep it rolling.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm not saying not to do the trip. I have and would do it again, however, if it is more than 500 miles, I would likely have a wingman in another vehicle or a strong plan B. You will burn thru your budget if you have to leave the truck and come back, along with the risk of an old squarebody left unattended and out of state.

These three guys bought a hopped up Ford Pinto and drive it 3k miles from Texas to Maryland. I would not have done that.
Best part of that first video is the chicks @ss! God bless the inventor of yoga pants.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another thought....
You could probably have the vehicle delivered for close to your $500. It may take an extra week or two for logistics to work out. (You'll reduce costs by waiting for an existing shipment that your vehicle can be added to).

It won't provide the sight seeing, but gives you the chance to discover issues closer to home.
700miles and a full size Suburban? Maybe $500 10 years ago. Now more like $1500 maybe a bit less.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
I am in a similar situation right now, prepping for a trip from Oklahoma to South Carolina and so far I have flushed all the fluids, check the brakes, replace the battery, did a few fixes here in there with the door locks, and getting the fuel filter off of the valve covers, but other than that I just looked at the concept of air, spark and fuel and making sure it is holding temperature and oil pressure.

One thing a mechanic told me that really stuck was if you’re going to drive an old car cross country drive it for 45 minutes on the highway and you’re going to see anything that will happen. Better to do that around town before you leave for your trip so you can plan for variables

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54