I want to drive an '89 suburban 700 miles home, what should I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I live in the Midwest. the venerable 4x4 square body suburban is my dream vehicle. I found one out west, and now I would like to possibly go get it. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PREPARE?!

I mean, from your guys' expertise, what can I do before hand to have the best chance at a successful trip with the least amount of unexpected problems? Things to take? tools to have? Things to be aware of, etc. I am generally still a new blood novice, but I have a passion to do something like this.

As I was saying, the truck in question is a 1989 chevy 1500 4x4. 350 V8, 90% rust free, good driver, (As far as I currently know) new tires. waiting for more information. If this deal goes though, I'd be looking to start the trip in 4 weeks, with a 2nd driver, and 500 dollars set aside for gas, motels, and any small repairs that need to be made. (Is this reasonable? ream me out if not) YOU HELP IS APPRECHEATED.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Use the search engine type in in the started by user box imjohnny when you find one of his posts hit his name,then hit the posts number and follow his adventures on tools for the trip segment start to finish.We just went through pages and pages of this for his trip.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
The biggest this is have a positive attitude. It's going to be a ton of fun. Take your time, enjoy every minute of it and don't stress about anything. I took the train 12 hours south, drove mine back 650 miles and had a dam good time.

I'd say as long as you don't have any major problems $500 will be fine but I'd rather have $1500 just to be safe. These trucks are supes simple, you can fit almost every tool you would need in a twenty four inch tool box. Don't forget to bring a ratchet strap for the battery and be a hundred percent sure the hood is latched properly. Check the front end, tires and brake hoses before you get going

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Basic harbor fright tool box should suffice. The 225 piece or something. Fluids, wires, plugs maybe. Maybe spare radiator hoses. A car jack and stands possibly. And AAA... zip ties, flashlight. I mean the list could get lengthy. Ratchet straps for sure.

But basic tools should be enough there are auto parts stores all over.

If you can set aside at $1500 or $1000 at the very least

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Here it is and don't buy the cheapest one.

We picked up a Delphi the last go around and it is going strong.
But we still have another in the glove box just in case...
You must be registered for see images attach

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow, all this is super helpful guys. Yeah, on a trip like this I'd like to turn it into kind of a vacation, I've never been out west. why not see the sights while driving the most american thing on the road?

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Check the front end. If you have a pickle fork throw that in the tool bag. Easy to change drag links or tie rods and measure tape for a quick alignment. If you have a cordless grinder that would be good too. If the fuel pump dies its way easier cutting a hole then dropping a tank on the side of the road.

Like catbox said a ignition module.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Basic harbor fright tool box should suffice. The 225 piece or something. Fluids, wires, plugs maybe. Maybe spare radiator hoses. A car jack and stands possibly. And AAA... zip ties, flashlight. I mean the list could get lengthy. Ratchet straps for sure.

But basic tools should be enough there are auto parts stores all over.

If you can set aside at $1500 or $1000 at the very least

All very good items. My dad was an aircraft mechanic, I see there's at least a little overlap lol

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I did what you are considering. I live in Northern Nevada and found a car I wanted in Pennsylvania. I flew there, planning on driving it home, BECAUSE, the add said "Fly in and drive it home". It was an awesome fantasy. I brought all the basic tools I could bring on an airplane. I was prepared. LOL

We made it to Lincoln Nebraska before the transmission started letting us know the chances of it making the rest of the trip, were not good. We were lucky Lincoln has an airport and a company that ships vehicles. The trip was enjoyable. (Even went to Omaha Steaks) If I were to do it again, I would have had a back up plan BEFORE I left to deal with exactly what I went through.

Having a way to tow the truck the rest of the way home, if it won't make it on it's own, will reduce the stress of trying to figure it out on the side of the road. And best of all, usually when your prepared, you don't need it. Shipping from Nebraska to Nevada was $1700 that I did not plan for before the trip.

$500 will be cutting it extremely close even if everything goes perfectly. Bringing an extra $500 on top of what you think it will cost is still a pretty big gamble. Is it a daily dependable driver? Will the vehicle you are driving to go get it, tow the suburban, if needed?

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Here's a different thought about this,and not much more money.You and your friend drive out with minimal tools,go to uhaul rent a box truck and a car dolly.Remove the rear driveshaft and trailer your square back. Camp in the box truck,the milage will probably be better than you will get with the square anyway,and no worries. I've camped in a box truck it works good.So good I bought one already had the dolly.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Also remember that finding an appropriate tow vehicle and trailer can be difficult if you break down. Suburbans are very long and relatively wide, and U-haul and other DIY transport companies don’t have big enough trailers. And even if you do manage to find a trailer, you will still need a tow vehicle big enough to handle the combined weight of the trailer and Suburban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg