Car hauler issues. How can I fix this. I dont know trailer parts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
So I have ignored my 83x18 classic car hauler for the past 10 years. I have always needed
a tongue storage box. I have lost many ratchet straps and axle straps because they can never
be in one space. I had a 10k smitty built winch that I only used 8 times till it took a dump.
Dont buy smittybuilt products, they wont sell you parts when you need them. So I told myself
I would buy a WARN, so I bought a 12K and dont have to worry about it breaking down.
Long story short, I got a storage box for the straps and battery for winch. The leg ( I know I said that wrong LOL)
that holds the front or tongue up will hit the bottom of the box and will not lock. It spins upward and locks in place. I was going to cut the foot off and just use a 2x4 piece of wood like in the pic to set it on. But If I can replace that whole piece with a better
one I will. I was told they sell some you can even use a drill to lift and lower so no handle to spin. Whats that
leg called? Let hear your upgrade opinions. I need this box on here. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Or I might just cut that back half of that foot off.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
that is called a trailer jack
You can mount one either on the outside part of the A frame that bolts on oir you can weld a new plate to either forward more or on the outside. if you do this i highly recommend getting a nicer jack. if you want to have it jacked up with a car on itm youll appreciate a nicer one

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Make your foot plate where it will pin on the bottom of your jack.

Like this:
The added plus to this is you could add some length to it and eliminate the piece of wood you have to use under it.

I have a tongue jack on my trailer like that, I was able to get the snap ring off and work on the jack itself, then reinstall it once I was done.

Take Care,
KS in KCK

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good thing is you don’t have car hauler issues, you just mounted a toolbox in the way of the tongue jack.
All good advice so far. Depending how you want to use the jack and how often.
Do you want/need to keep it centered and heavy duty for unhooking with tongue weight still on the trailer?
Can you get by with just welding on a new mounting ring elsewhere and move the jack?
Electric Jack wanted? or just get a drill attachment and do away with the handle. Cut the foot off, buy one that is removeable, drill a couple holes and done.
Easiest solution imo is the last one.
$14.99 drill attachment
$14.99 jack foot. Could even get fancy and get a longer one to adjust height.
Done. No need to move the exiting jack for well under $50 and about 30min of your time.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Good thing is you don’t have car hauler issues, you just mounted a toolbox in the way of the tongue jack.
All good advice so far. Depending how you want to use the jack and how often.
Do you want/need to keep it centered and heavy duty for unhooking with tongue weight still on the trailer?
Can you get by with just welding on a new mounting ring elsewhere and move the jack?
Electric Jack wanted? or just get a drill attachment and do away with the handle. Cut the foot off, buy one that is removeable, drill a couple holes and done.
Easiest solution imo is the last one.
$14.99 drill attachment
$14.99 jack foot. Could even get fancy and get a longer one to adjust height.
Done. No need to move the exiting jack for well under $50 and about 30min of your time.
Thanks man!! The jack is in the position where it is as far up (forward) as it can be placed. Any further forward
it would not be able to tilt completely and lock in position. I could put a removable foot on it. I think it wont hurt to just cut the back half of the foot off. I found a drill operated head for the jack. But $200 is not worth it for me as I barley use the trailer LOL.

Im going to see If this can be mounted up front at the A frame area. I like this better and do away with the swivel jack

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I thought there was just a drill attachment you could just attach if you remove the handle. They’re cheap. But I’d think it would only work with light weights without tearing the drill out of your hands.
Cutting the foot off won’t hurt anything either.
You can always mount the jack to the outside of the A frame and then it can be further forward if needed.
Or the new one you posted will work. Take a little fab work I suppose.
There’s many options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod