How to/Tips on pulling a 350 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
NO they just said 2 places, in front of one head and then in back of opposite head. That's how I do it too.

Honestly though for like $50 you can go to autozone or advance and buy an engine tilter/leveler, it has 4 chains and you can crank the handle to tilt it or level it out perfectly.

You can buy an engine lift chain by itself from them, or go to the hardware store and get one like I did

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, NO and NO, it does NOT need to be bolted in 4 places. Opposite conrners or ends of the block or heads is fine. I usually do as C4 suggested since you have more holding power that way. Sometimes, its a real PITA to get the one behind the head up against the firewall. Or you could use the last intake manifold bolt on the passenger side, and the front on the driver side. You take the intake bolts out, and use longer bolts thru your chain links. Its really not hard to do.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, I get it now.

What about removing and installing the clutch from the flywheels? Anything special I should know?

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Righty tighty, lefty loosey :lol: Most clutch kits come with a plastic alignment tool. You may want to go ahead and replace the pilot bushing while you're in there, use the grease trick to drive it out. Pack it full of grease, find a solid steel drift, steel rod, extension, etc, that is just big enough to slide in it (no sockets, cant have a hole through it), put it in the pilot bushing hole against the grease, wrap a rag over it so you don't get grease all over you, then smack the **** out of it one good time with a hammer. The hydraulic effect of the grease will pop the pilot bushing out of the recess of the flywheel quite easily.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Righty tighty, lefty loosey :lol: Most clutch kits come with a plastic alignment tool. You may want to go ahead and replace the pilot bushing while you're in there, use the grease trick to drive it out. Pack it full of grease, find a solid steel drift, steel rod, extension, etc, that is just big enough to slide in it (no sockets, cant have a hole through it), put it in the pilot bushing hole against the grease, wrap a rag over it so you don't get grease all over you, then smack the **** out of it one good time with a hammer. The hydraulic effect of the grease will pop the pilot bushing out of the recess of the flywheel quite easily.

So I would need to get that alignment tool?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
he said it comes in the kit, if you are buying a new clutch it'll be in there. If not then buy one. I got a whole toolbox full of them things, have no idea what they fit LOL.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I cant find where it was posted and where I wrote it down at. What size bolts and length do I use to bolt the chain on to side of the heads on a 350?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
find some that fit and use em. about inch or so long. just enough to thread in a good 1/2 or more and bolt the chain down without sticking way out.

pbritchie

Reaction score
First Name
Presley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm actually struggling with this too. My uncle has a cherry picker he is willing to borrow me but I know it won't clear my truck. I have about 9 inches of lift with 40's so obviously first thing is take the front tires off. Would the picker be able to reach in there or am going to have to further than that somehow?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm actually struggling with this too. My uncle has a cherry picker he is willing to borrow me but I know it won't clear my truck. I have about 9 inches of lift with 40's so obviously first thing is take the front tires off. Would the picker be able to reach in there or am going to have to further than that somehow?

Might have to use "A" frame or take the front clip off if taking the front wheels off doesn't work.

pbritchie

Reaction score
First Name
Presley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm such a newb I didn't realize there were 4 pages to this thread lol. I was worried about the lift making this project a pain in my arse. Well I have to replace front passenger fender anyways so I might as well take off the front clip and kill two birds with one stone.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
yes, taking that front clip off will make it MUCH easier especially on a lifted truck! I left my clip on by mine's a stock height 2wd truck so it's not that big of a deal.

BTW...welcome to the forum :handshake:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns