How to/Tips on pulling a 350 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
1. When preparing to pull a 350 what parts have to be removed from the engine before you pull besides the bellhousing?

2. Is there anything I should know when unbolting the bellhousing on a 4 speed trans/clutch?

Some people say to take the whole front section of the truck off from the firewall. Others say just the front clip. Some said just the hood is the hoist will go up high enough to clear the front clip.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never pulled anything to pull an engine except the hood. And that includes even pulling engine and auto trans as a combo. Just take the hood off that's it. It is much safer to pull the engine only for you since you obviosly haven't had alot of expericence pulling a motor, and 3/4 ton trucks that set up higher would be another good reason. I have done a 4x4 once with a engine and trans combo. Didn't have enough clearance as I had expected, but I knew worse case scenario I could take the front tires off and drop the truck if need be. Good thing I had a plan B. I did end up taking the tires off to get the engine & trans. We had already removed the Tcase, but this was to be a motor swap and trans rebuild so I thought I'd save some time pulling the 2 together.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
1. When preparing to pull a 350 what parts have to be removed from the engine before you pull besides the bellhousing?

2. Is there anything I should know when unbolting the bellhousing on a 4 speed trans/clutch?

Some people say to take the whole front section of the truck off from the firewall. Others say just the front clip. Some said just the hood is the hoist will go up high enough to clear the front clip.

1. Exhaust manifolds, radiator & hoses, fan, fuel line, wiring harness, distributor (just to keep from busting the cap), and motor mounts. Take the alternator and power steering pump off the motor and lay them to the side in the engine bay if you plan on re-using them. I think that's all.

2. Nope, not really.

Just depends on how high your hoist will go, and how high your truck is.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just depends on how high your hoist will go, and how high your truck is.

I'm 230 pounds with fat belly and I can crawl under the 3/4 ton with no problem to change the oil filter on a oil change or to change out the big starter. There's 245/75/16 tires on the truck also.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I always use tripods, don't own a cherry picker, so I cant be much help with that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I always use tripods, don't own a cherry picker, so I cant be much help with that.

Tripods? You mean A frame? Like a biggo heavy duty swing set?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm 230 pounds with fat belly and I can crawl under the 3/4 ton with no problem to change the oil filter on a oil change or to change out the big starter. There's 245/75/16 tires on the truck also.

Damn, do you have to say 230 and fat belly??? I'm 260 so that means I must have a biggo fuggin gut too. I can still see my pee pee though, so maybe my gut is not to big. And I don't need a tilt wheel in a square. You should be fine with a 3/4 ton and 245's to pull a small block only without any problem at all.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Nope, it looks like a tripod. A leg on either side of the fenders and a leg in front of the truck. Lift the motor, push the truck back, drop motor down on a cart, move it outta the way, cart in the new heart, etc. You get the idea.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope, it looks like a tripod. A leg on either side of the fenders and a leg in front of the truck. Lift the motor, push the truck back, drop motor down on a cart, move it outta the way, cart in the new heart, etc. You get the idea.

Yeah, I get it. I never seen one used. I've used A frames before on wheels. They are the best for certain. Biggo swing set on wheels. So when you do get it up, 2 guys can roll it anywhere even on grass and the truck or car can stay right where it sits.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I figure it's one of those things you fabricate yourself.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
tripods are big around here, guess it's hillbilly style.

take the hood off. if you feel froggy take the front clip, which IMO front clip, IS the entire front end, fenders, inners, hood rad support all of it. it just gives more room to work and clean things without leaning over the fender and reaching down into the engine bay.

A simple hood pull works great.

Any wires connected to the engine, any hoses or lines, motor mount bolts, manifolds from the head side or collector side, the clutch will stay bolted to the flywheel and come out with the engine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are those heavy duty swing sets still around?

I figure it's one of those things you fabricate yourself.

No Dave, DO NOT use a swing set. I only used that as an example because that is what they look like but taller and much heaiver.

C4 is right. You usually fabricate one yourself. I've seen some hillbilly style made of 4x4's, but the better ones are made of steel. Easy to make. You actually fabricate 2 letter A frames. Literrally letter A frames for your ends. Then a pipe or piece of steel you connect the 2 A frames and hang a block and tackle, hoist or come along from the A frame. Just so know, I don't advise come a longs for hoisting engines. I don't trust them.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
No Dave, DO NOT use a swing set. I only used that as an example because that is what they look like but taller and much heaiver.

C4 is right. You usually fabricate one yourself. I've seen some hillbilly style made of 4x4's, but the better ones are made of steel. Easy to make. You actually fabricate 2 letter A frames. Literrally letter A frames for your ends. Then a pipe or piece of steel you connect the 2 A frames and hang a block and tackle, hoist or come along from the A frame. Just so know, I don't advise come a longs for hoisting engines. I don't trust them.

Ok, I'm gonna have to come up with something for removing that 305C in that crane truck. But I'll probably use a manual chain hoist though.

I know a guy who used a swing set and come along to pull a motor out of lincoln town car for a derby.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HF sell this thing for $700. Its a joke in comparison to what you can make out of scrap steel. I seen a guy one time, came across a 8 or 10 ft stick of railroad track. Hint Hint, I bet you can find some of that. And he used that for his cross beam and had a roller trolly on it so he could shift side to side too. He had stops on it, so it could only go a foot in either direction from center, since you get to much weight to one side, you'll flip the thing. But railroad works good. I also had a buddy that made is own and his cross beam unbolted from the the A frames so he could move it from one location to another in the back of a pick up truck laying the sections down. I used his many times and loved it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06