How to pick the right jack+stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I always over buy when it comes to that stuff. I also work on dirt and grass so I have an assortment of wood blocks, boards and cribbing. I have a set of those triangular base jack stands that I wouldnt stand on myself but its on to set light stuff on, imo.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Unless your jack wont go high enough on the bigger stands its not a bad thing to have heavier than you needs stands. The one thing I do is check out the bottom of the base to see if it has a pad to help distribute the weight or if its just the end of the metal being used. Because without the pad the stands are more likely to sink into the asphalt/ground with lighter vehicles you dont notice this to much but with heavy trucks or soft ground and enough movement it may make the vehicle fall.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
One thing I'm anal about....once the vehicle is supported on the jack stands I grab hold of any part of the vehicle that is solid and shake the **** out of it. Usually the top of the fender with hood open. I mean I literally try and pull it off the stands.
If I can move it even the slightest little bit at all I take it down and reposition the stands until its rock solid.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a pair of the tube type stands, my dad had bought them in the 70's. They were used to hold up his Caprice all through the 80's, along with lighter weight cars. Then I was always using them to hold up my Impala, even in the sloped driveway. I later realized how stupid that was to use them on the slope, but they never moved or wiggled.

My newer type stands seem more unstable to me, unless they are adjusted all the way down. They all seem to have a fair amount of freeplay where the top slides into the base.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
You are going to be under the truck. What do you feel comfortable with? For home use, I have a set of 6 ton stands for the truck and smaller 3 ton for the cars. At work, I have a 10 ton jack and stands. They can be a pain in the ass to move off site, but I want to be prepared and not just hope my equipment is heavy enough. When I am under a vehicle, I use stands, chocks, and leave the jack under there as well with a little pressure on it as an extra safety precaution.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
The bigger the better for the big trucks IMO When I had my 3/4 ton burb I used 6 ton jack stands. I use them for my dually, too, but am thinking about upgrading them to go even more heavy duty. I'd rather have overkill on capacity of a jack stand than have the truck land on me LOL On the 1/2 ton stuff or cars I've never had an issue with a 3 ton jack stand.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Funny thing about jack stands. When I was towing I didn't get any formal training until I was almost a year in. During that training they were adamant that anytime you had a vehicle in the air, even if just to change a tire, you needed to have jack stands under it. I get the logic of it and it makes sense from a safety point of view, but I have yet to see a local tow truck with a set of back stands on board.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Just stack up some cinder blocks and get on with your day!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hell, cinder blocks hold up many of our houses - it should be good 'nuff for yer truck.....

ridenby

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1028
Engine Size
6.2L
I have 2 ton,6ton, and 10 ton stands. Think the jack is 4 ton. I do know that HF does not carry it anymore. I really like the large jack stands.
Sunex 1310 10-Ton Medium Height Pin Type Jack Stands, Pair

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
You are going to be under the truck. What do you feel comfortable with? For home use, I have a set of 6 ton stands for the truck and smaller 3 ton for the cars. At work, I have a 10 ton jack and stands. They can be a pain in the ass to move off site, but I want to be prepared and not just hope my equipment is heavy enough. When I am under a vehicle, I use stands, chocks, and leave the jack under there as well with a little pressure on it as an extra safety precaution.
Is there any particularly cheap good 6 ton jack stands you recommend?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
just get the cheap ones to start with. You'll get bigger and better ones once you get plenty of use out of the first set.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Is there any particularly cheap good 6 ton jack stands you recommend?

I think I got mine years ago from Napa. I am definitely cheap (and am rather proud of it), BUT I actually do not cheap out on jacks and stands. I figure I am depending on these while laying under a car or truck, so I buy quality on these. I would recommend the same for anyone.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think I got mine years ago from Napa. I am definitely cheap (and am rather proud of it), BUT I actually do not cheap out on jacks and stands. I figure I am depending on these while laying under a car or truck, so I buy quality on these. I would recommend the same for anyone.

Had almost the identical thought. Couldn't agree more.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I just got a set of 6ton pro-lift stands from Amazon for cheap, and I'm actually surprised at the quality for $40.
They're way better than the crappy Craftsman stands I've been using for years. Much heavier, better welds, and they have pins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave