How to pick the right jack+stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I just got a set of 6ton pro-lift stands from Amazon for cheap, and I'm actually surprised at the quality for $40.
They're way better than the crappy Craftsman stands I've been using for years. Much heavier, better welds, and they have pins.
Link?

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I just got a set of 6ton pro-lift stands from Amazon for cheap, and I'm actually surprised at the quality for $40.
They're way better than the crappy Craftsman stands I've been using for years. Much heavier, better welds, and they have pins.
They do look pretty good so I might go with those. Now in terms of an actual floor jack, will a small 2 ton JEGS one work good enough to lift my truck? I'm mostly worried about the 13" lift range. Is that enough to lift the vehicle enough to get jack stands underneath?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I measured from the pavement to the bottom of my axle, and then added about 2" to figure out the minimum lift I needed to change a tire. If I need more than that lift I can put one or two 2x10s under the jack to get some additional height. You can also get higher lift by jacking up under the axle pumpkin instead of the axle tube.

The jack set I bought is from Home Depot, and it was sold as an SUV/truck jack and stands. The end of the arm sticks up several inches to give higher lift, and the saddle can be screwed up and down to increase the height a little more. It can lift up to 21". Just remember that its not intended to be a car jack, since the minimum clearance is 7 /12" to fit it under the vehicle. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204079069-_-206696699-_-N

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
They do look pretty good so I might go with those. Now in terms of an actual floor jack, will a small 2 ton JEGS one work good enough to lift my truck? I'm mostly worried about the 13" lift range. Is that enough to lift the vehicle enough to get jack stands underneath?
I'd get one that goes higher than 13.
I use a 1.5 ton rapid pump jack from harbor freight. It's a low profile car jack (that's what I originally needed it for) and it goes up to 13-7/8". I wish it went a couple of inches higher for 4x4 work. It does the job, but just barely enough.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
The 3ton HF rapid pump heavy duty low profile jack goes up to 19-5/8" and it's only like $95.
It's a lot heavier because it's beefier (and all steel.....mine is aluminum), but if I had to do it again, I'd probably get that one.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
How about a 20,500 lb RV, I have been using some 6x6’s but I put the wheels back on it to raise it up high enough to get under the frame rails there are “Tees” and junctions all over the front of this RV for the brake lines as well as 1 1/2” vacuum hoses going to the power boosters, looks like I have a lot more to check out. Just want to feel safe crawling around under this thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08