How to pick the right jack+stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So I'm about to embark on a control arm rebuild and need a jack and some good jack stands. I went to advance and was recommended a teq correct jack and stand set for 50 bucks. It is a 2 ton. My truck is a 78 C20 3/4 ton with the 8200 gvwr package. Is this jack and stand set good enough for starting out? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
For occasional use it is fine. I have been using aluminium 1.5 ton harbor freight for many years before breaking it by lifting questionable things. But after fixing it, still works. Also used steel 3 ton rapid lift, but heavy. The stands might not be tall enough but usually can make work with wood boards. For your use should be fine

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A lot depends on your work surface too. Is it pavement, gravel, dirt or grass?

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
For occasional use it is fine. I have been using aluminium 1.5 ton harbor freight for many years before breaking it by lifting questionable things. But after fixing it, still works. Also used steel 3 ton rapid lift, but heavy. The stands might not be tall enough but usually can make work with wood boards. For your use should be fine
I'll be working in the garage or maybe in the street so pavement

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can pretty much pick what you like then. With other terrain, you need to look for certain features. Like on gravel, you want larger wheels. On dirt or grass, you want wide wheels and a jack frame with the large lip along the bottom instead on the top. And you really want jack stands with a wide footprint.

But on a garage floor, you can just pick based on your load requirements and your lifting range.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can pretty much pick what you like then. With other terrain, you need to look for certain features. Like on gravel, you want larger wheels. On dirt or grass, you want wide wheels and a jack frame with the large lip along the bottom instead on the top. And you really want jack stands with a wide footprint.

But on a garage floor, you can just pick based on your load requirements and your lifting range.
So is a 2 ton jack and stand alright for my truck? I think it weighs a bit more than 4000 pounds

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Heavier duty would be better, but it can work ok for occasional use like yevgenievich said, especially with the help of wood blocks where needed.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I picked up my Alcan 3.5 ton from Costco for under $100. Something to consider.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
So is a 2 ton jack and stand alright for my truck? I think it weighs a bit more than 4000 pounds

Remember that you're not lifting the entire weight of your truck. It's usually just one end or the other that's raised. If it had a perfect 50/50 front to rear weight balance and you jack up one end, you're only lifting half it's weight. Of course, in the real world the bias is towards the front but you're still not lifting anywhere near the 4000 lbs. or whatever it is your truck weighs. Just pulling a number out of thin air to use as an example, lets say the front end weighs 2800 lbs. A two-ton jack can easily handle that, and it's certainly not going to fail even at 4001 lbs. There's a safety margin built into the ratings, so 4000 lbs is the point where you need to start thinking about a bigger jack.

The jack stands get to split the load since there's (hopefully) two doing the work. So the hypothetical load of 2800 lbs is 1400 lbs on each stand. All that being said, I don't take any chances. I always leave the jack in place with some of the load on it and do a backup set of stands just in case the primary set fails.

L to R: 2t, 3t, 6t, and my first pair with an unknown capacity.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Remember that you're not lifting the entire weight of your truck. It's usually just one end or the other that's raised. If it had a perfect 50/50 front to rear weight balance and you jack up one end, you're only lifting half it's weight. Of course, in the real world the bias is towards the front but you're still not lifting anywhere near the 4000 lbs. or whatever it is your truck weighs. Just pulling a number out of thin air to use as an example, lets say the front end weighs 2800 lbs. A two-ton jack can easily handle that, and it's certainly not going to fail even at 4001 lbs. There's a safety margin built into the ratings, so 4000 lbs is the point where you need to start thinking about a bigger jack.

The jack stands get to split the load since there's (hopefully) two doing the work. So the hypothetical load of 2800 lbs is 1400 lbs on each stand. All that being said, I don't take any chances. I always leave the jack in place with some of the load on it and do a backup set of stands just in case the primary set fails.

I swear everything you own is spotless and clean!

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305

Nailed it.

That set of jack stand on the far right with the triangular base however, not so sure on those. They have an unstable look to them.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Hah, that pic is from an old thread just after I bought the HF 6-tons. They're all a bit scuffed up now except for the original set which I don't use. They were a gift from my departed Dad so I keep 'em nice.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Haven't seen a set of those tube style stands in a long time. We used to have a set when I was young, but I haven't seen them since the early eighties.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

What he said, never take any chances. I always go much heavier than I think i'll need on jack stands. It's one thing to try and lift with a marginal jack, but never support with a marginal stand. I'm almost 20 years into my career as a heavy equipment mechanic and well into my 20th year on the Fire Department And I have seen 6 instances where we took a vehicle or piece of equipment off of someone because a jack, supporting stand or a "home made" device failed while supporting the load. Two were fatalities, one of which was a 16 year old boy. So I am very redundant with lifting the load, supporting the load, and adding an extra safety in case of failure. And I tend to buy and use way bigger supporting stands than I need. It's very cheap insurance. If it "weighs" 2, I support it with a minimum of a 4, and I back that up with an extra stand or two and at work it's usually 50 ton stands backed up with heavy oak timbers. If you are already questioning it to do the job, you aren't buying big enough stuff to support your work. Some may disagree, but going home at the end of the day, or being at home and being able to come in from the garage for dinner is what's most important. Seeing it one time was enough for me to never use something that "should" work.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
And as a side note, and somewhat critical is that jack stands are usually rated in pairs. So if You buy a pair of stands rated at 2 tons, each stand is rated to support half of that load. So each stand is only good for 1 ton of load. Or a pair of 12 ton stands is rated to support 6 tons per stand and so on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK