How much of a Body Lift is needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To put a 2 wheel drive cab on a 4x4 frame? Tonight was the first that ive really been able to crawl under my truck and look over the body mounts and such. The truck has a body lift in it but its as about as redneck as can be. Mismatched puck sizes with massive amounts of shims on the smaller mounts etc. Figure I might as well just re-do it all but i want to keep the body lift to a minimum. Is 2 inches enough? or do i need to go 3. This is a c10 frame on a k series frame and suspension

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Put a 4wd tunnel into the 2wd. Much easier and will retain the proper opening in the proper location for the transfer case shifter assembly.

Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Put a 4wd tunnel into the 2wd. Much easier and will retain the proper opening in the proper location for the transfer case shifter assembly.

not an option, cant locate a 4wd cab to get the tunnel out of.

So again can anybody tell me the lift needed? I was thinking it was 2 inches

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard different amounts, but a lot of it has to do with which trans and t-case is used. 2 inch lift should be a safe amount I would think.

Since it's still all together, you should be able to feel around and see if you have clearance to go lower than you currently are.

Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
No
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've heard different amounts, but a lot of it has to do with which trans and t-case is used. 2 inch lift should be a safe amount I would think.

Since it's still all together, you should be able to feel around and see if you have clearance to go lower than you currently are.

TH400 and NP 203. Im not against going three, the truck certainly isn't a show truck and I think a body lift is safe enough. Its hard to tell what I have now since everything is such a mismatched mess. Also for these trucks do they come with an extension for the steering shaft? Had one i ripped off my other truck and It had a steering shaft and fuel tank filler neck extension

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do the trucks come with a shaft extension or the BL kits? Trucks, no. BL kits, I would assume so. It might vary with the brand and how big the lift is. I once had a K5 with a 3 inch BL, it had an extension.

I don't like body lifts, but it sure made parts of that K5 easier to work on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky