Thoughts on going down to 37s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dixie Pride

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had my 85 K 20 since new 2 sets of 40" 1 set of 42". Was never happy always wanted 44"swampers. Saved & got my 44" after 39 years.it is always what make you happy.If you want them bad enough you will find a way.My Swampers were $639.00 ea 2 years ago now they are almost $1,000 ea.Ig you go with the hummer tires make sure you check the date on the tires.They say tires should be replaced every 6 yrs.Have 4 40"Cepeck tires in the barn i would give you still nubs on them.They just show a little splitting on the sidewall.20 yrs. old.Would be great for someone for running around local.

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Had my 85 K 20 since new 2 sets of 40" 1 set of 42". Was never happy always wanted 44"swampers. Saved & got my 44" after 39 years.it is always what make you happy.If you want them bad enough you will find a way.My Swampers were $639.00 ea 2 years ago now they are almost $1,000 ea.Ig you go with the hummer tires make sure you check the date on the tires.They say tires should be replaced every 6 yrs.Have 4 40"Cepeck tires in the barn i would give you still nubs on them.They just show a little splitting on the sidewall.20 yrs. old.Would be great for someone for running around local.
That would be great! Unfortunately I am in Daytona Beach. The ones I have now have sidewall splitting as well, makes me a little nervous to run them on the roads.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That would be great! Unfortunately I am in Daytona Beach. The ones I have now have sidewall splitting as well, makes me a little nervous to run them on the roads.

Sidewall cracks on a tough bias ply carcass really aren't a big deal. Especially if cords aren't showing. Have any pictures?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
If you were to change out wheels also then might keep checking the blem list at Interco if you want a better price:

Blem List (click me)

For instance they have five 37x12R17 tires for $269 ea
Or seven 37x14.50R17 for $275 ea

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
If you were to change out wheels also then might keep checking the blem list at Interco if you want a better price:

Blem List (click me)

For instance they have five 37x12R17 tires for $269 ea
Or seven 37x14.50R17 for $275 ea
Thanks for the info. I picked up 5 weld 16.5s with 4 good 37x12.5s and one crap one today off marketplace for $800. Seemed like a good price.

Attachments

• 20231204_201139.jpg
    20231204_201139.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 27

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Welcome in from NC. Those radial 37's ride great on pavement. Won't "look" as good as

a set of 40' Swampers but definitely more user & consumer friendly. I've ran these 37 OZ tires for 30 years...probably have some around here that old too!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
My buddies truck runs around on a set of BFG 37's and it still retains the mini monster truck feel.
You must be registered for see images attach

He is 6'2" and you can just see his head over the hood.

Here it is next to my stock height 3/4 ton making it look like a mini truck.

If I were you, I would get away from the defunct 16.5 inch wheel size as you are limited to what you can get for them like you are finding.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
If it were me I'd get the 37s and be happy I got nice tires for a good deal. It's only 2 1/2" inches difference In height. Being narrower should drive better too.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had the surplus 37's on my K5. I don't recall which brand they were but they measured out exactly at 37". Mine were 3 years old when I bought them new per the date code. They were marked "gov't use only" or something similar. They were substantially thicker/ heavier in sidewalls than what you'd buy in the store and supposedly had a lot more resistance to dry rot than the commercial versions. I believe I paid $100-125 for them. They can't call them new as they are surplus but mine had never been mounted. I believe they said 99% tread left.

I believe that I was able to mount them myself with just a prybar and soap very easily without scuffing the rims. I used airsoft to balance them and did the ether trick to seat them. D/T the thicker sidewalls, there was no bulge even at 15 psi. I never aired down lower because they were 16.5's and I was scared of them coming off and also if the airsoft would become projectiles.

All this to say...the truck is more useful with the military 37's, they last forever, and are cheap. I don't know how much longer you are going to be able to get them though as I think even the military is/ has transitioning away from 16.5.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
... make sure you check the date on the tires. They say tires should be replaced every 6 yrs....

There is some disparity out there on the 6-8 year from date manufactured for replacement. It is supposedly 6-8 years from when they are mounted, aired, and have their first heat cycle. I wanted to put 355/25ZR19's on the rear of my Nova. The problem I found was that the manufacturers, which I believe were only Pirelli and maybe Kumho said that they only make a large batch of some of those oddball sizes every 2-3 years based on demand. When I checked around at warehouses, some of the new tires had 4-5 year old date codes which prompted me to call the manufacturer and learn of the warranty and life expectancy(if properly stored) starting at date sold and first heat cycle.

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
My buddies truck runs around on a set of BFG 37's and it still retains the mini monster truck feel.

He is 6'2" and you can just see his head over the hood.

Here it is next to my stock height 3/4 ton making it look like a mini truck.

If I were you, I would get away from the defunct 16.5 inch wheel size as you are limited to what you can get for them like you are finding.
Perfect! I found a good set of 5 16.5s with 37s and will be bolting them on this weekend. I like that look alot. Was a bit of a shock coming from those big 39.5s, but after seeing your truck, I see I'm going to be very happy. Beautiful rig sir!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had the surplus 37's on my K5. I don't recall which brand they were but they measured out exactly at 37". Mine were 3 years old when I bought them new per the date code. They were marked "gov't use only" or something similar. They were substantially thicker/ heavier in sidewalls than what you'd buy in the store and supposedly had a lot more resistance to dry rot than the commercial versions. I believe I paid $100-125 for them. They can't call them new as they are surplus but mine had never been mounted. I believe they said 99% tread left.

I believe that I was able to mount them myself with just a prybar and soap very easily without scuffing the rims. I used airsoft to balance them and did the ether trick to seat them. D/T the thicker sidewalls, there was no bulge even at 15 psi. I never aired down lower because they were 16.5's and I was scared of them coming off and also if the airsoft would become projectiles.

All this to say...the truck is more useful with the military 37's, they last forever, and are cheap. I don't know how much longer you are going to be able to get them though as I think even the military is/ has transitioning away from 16.5.

I believe they have been out of production for a few years now. Last I knew, the Humvees were all being phased out and replaced with a big new fancy rig.

Edit
It's the JLTV, if anyone cares to read about it.

Last edited:

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads