Thoughts on going down to 37s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hey guys, new square body guy here and couldn't be happier. I picked up a 1977 k30 on trade for my old 65 C10 a few weeks back and about to hit the road with it. I needed to replace the drives side front wheel bearings. Of course, there was more than I bargained for. Anywho, the truck has 8" suspension lift, maybe a few inches on the body. Dana 60 front and rear sitting on 39.5x18-16.5 boggers. The tires look pretty sketchy for road use and I'm gonna change them. Problem is, on Bidenomics, a set of 4 is over 4k. Just not in the cards for me. I found a military tire distributor here in Florida that sells the used Hummer tires in 37x12.5-16.5 damn near brand new shape, for $150 a piece. My question is, will it make my truck look like I skipped leg day? Short of running to Mexico and coming back over to the US without my ID on me, so I can collect that "welcome to America" check, I just can't afford the boggers that look so good. What do you guys think?? Thank you
You must be registered for see images attach

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd do.it. I can't see 2 5" in total height being that noticeable. Will give you better clearance for turning and suspension cycling as a bonus too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Compared to what it looks like now, yes it will look like it skipped leg day. It won’t look odd, just much different than now. Besides being smaller in diameter (not necessarily just two inches) they will also be MUCH narrower.

But there's other things to consider. Like wheels. Your current wheels will be too wide (they look like maybe 12" wide in the picture?) to mount a significantly narrower 16.5" tire. Also, there are a few variations in radial tires used on the military Humvees. The Goodyears were the first radials used and they were a bit undersized, more like a 35"-36" tire. They are also quite old now so depending on how they were used and/or stored, they may not last you very long if you are concerned with dry rot. Later came the BF Goodrich tires and they are a pretty good tire. I've never measured them, but they seem closer to being an actual 37" tire. They aren't quite as old either. However, they are very rare compared to the amount of Goodyears that were used and I suspect that's what your local distributor is selling. Also, what gearing is in your axles? If it has been properly geared for those 39.5's, you may not like driving that truck at highway speeds with a much smaller tire.

A set of those 39.5×18 Boggers are on my wish list, but I don't have the $ for a new set either. Which brings up another question... where did you get your pricing? Last time I looked, they were somewhere around $550 each. I realize that's still really expensive, but significantly cheaper than 4k for a set.

*edit*
Holy crap! $840 each now. Stupid economy lately.

Last edited:

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Compared to what it looks like now, yes it will look like it skipped leg day. It won’t look odd, just much different than now. Besides being smaller in diameter (not necessarily just two inches) they will also be MUCH narrower.

But there's other things to consider. Like wheels. Your current wheels will be too wide (they look like maybe 12" wide in the picture?) to mount a significantly narrower 16.5" tire. Also, there are a few variations in radial tires used on the military Humvees. The Goodyears were the first radials used and they were a bit undersized, more like a 35"-36" tire. They are also quite old now so depending on how they were used and/or stored, they may not last you very long if you are concerned with dry rot. Later came the BF Goodrich tires and they are a pretty good tire. I've never measured them, but they seem closer to being an actual 37" tire. They aren't quite as old either. However, they are very rare compared to the amount of Goodyears that were used and I suspect that's what your local distributor is selling. Also, what gearing is in your axles? If it has been properly geared for those 39.5's, you may not like driving that truck at highway speeds with a much smaller tire.

A set of those 39.5×18 Boggers are on my wish list, but I don't have the $ for a new set either. Which brings up another question... where did you get your pricing? Last time I looked, they were somewhere around $550 each. I realize that's still really expensive, but significantly cheaper than 4k for a set.

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thank you for all that information, he stocks mostly Goodyear from what he tells me. I'm going to dig a little deeper to see what I can do. Seems like the best price was at National Tire and Wheel at $841.60. everyone else is close to $1000 a piece. I could be persuaded to keep them at $550 if you know of a place that has them.

If the current wheels are too big for the 37s, I might as well keep looking and find a set of wheels at a different size and open up the options.

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks for the help guys. I'm new to using these forums as well. Haha. I'm used to Googling everything or Facistbook groups. Guess I'm getting older and looking for more wiser ways to make it through life.

I like it here, you all seem more welcoming and willing to help. Rather than just bashing people for wanting to learn. Most people in those places don't even own what we are talking about and just wait to talk ****.

I build custom motorcycles and stuff specializing mostly in rat bikes and choppers. Stock sucks and I love anything that makes the Sunday car show guys piss in their girlfriend's buckle pants. Hahah.

This was my shop truck from my bike shop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008_212516_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_212516_Photos.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thank you for all that information, he stocks mostly Goodyear from what he tells me. I'm going to dig a little deeper to see what I can do. Seems like the best price was at National Tire and Wheel at $841.60. everyone else is close to $1000 a piece. I could be persuaded to keep them at $550 if you know of a place that has them.

If the current wheels are too big for the 37s, I might as well keep looking and find a set of wheels at a different size and open up the options.

Yeah I got curious and looked up the price again, then edited my post above. I'm very sad now, lol. NT&W is where I price stuff too.

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'm still trying to figure out how to reply correctly. Haha. I've looked for a decent used set here on marketplace, but they are in the same condition mine are, and looking at an average of 1500 a set(with wheels).

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'd do.it. I can't see 2 5" in total height being that noticeable. Will give you better clearance for turning and suspension cycling as a bonus too.
That's kinda what I was thinking too. I got this truck on a trade, with a bad bearing so only drove it from where it was dropped in my yard, to my garage. But it felt like it wasn't gonna be the best for an crowded Walmart lot. Lol

koolaid77

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I think it will look and handle better. 35's are about the sweet spot IMO.

That's what I'm hoping for. I like the "monster truck" look. But I like the "fall guy" look even better with these trucks. Always wanted one, now I got one and pretty damn excited to make it mine!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like it here, you all seem more welcoming and willing to help. Rather than just bashing people for wanting to learn. Most people in those places don't even own what we are talking about and just wait to talk ****.
Squares is just one thing there is an endless knowledge of here. Overall the place reminds me of an online lodge. lol

FWIW.....I most always figure out the size tire I want, then around early Fall to now, start watching feebay for closeouts. Most every tire out there is off shored and they only bring in so many. The locals are out of stock about 6 weeks before the online stuff disappears.

I'm a Pirelli fan, so thats what I watch for. Local prices on 4 Pirellis mounted/balance/out the door is about $800/car and $2000/truck. I got our Outback's 215/16's for $460 and the truck's 285's (about a 33") for $1200. Then I let a local place that sells those rubber bands on the homies 28's mount and balance them (because they got the new-better machines that dont scratch anything) for about $100-150 for the set.

Been doing it thataway for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag