Is this a correct bracket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
My 1978 3/4 ton 4X4 Camper Special chassis needs a power steering pump and I've ordered two... both not what I have on the truck. One of the new pumps has a return line configured so that it is pointed at the vibration damper, requiring a very tight 180 degree turn in the line, and the other new pump has the pump clocked differently in relation to the reservoir and ultimately the mount. At this point I'm wondering if the bracket is correct. It just doesn't seem to fit correctly. If you have any photos of your brackets/mounts I'd like to see them.

See photos...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I sold my Square Body a few years ago, so I don't post much anymore, but I lurk a lot..

Travlr, the solution is very easy.. GM P/S pumps of this era are all exactly the same, only the reservoirs are different.. Remove the pressure regulator/hose fitting from the rear of the pump. Remove the bracket from the pump.. The only thing holding the reservoir now is the press fit provided by a large o-ring. Using a rubber hammer, bump the reservoir off.. Put the old reservoir on the new pump, and install the new pressure regulator/hose fitting.. Replace the brackets and pulleys. Mount the pump and viola, you're ready to go.. Follow the remanufacturer's bleeding instructions...

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I sold my Square Body a few years ago, so I don't post much anymore, but I lurk a lot..

Travlr, the solution is very easy.. GM P/S pumps of this era are all exactly the same, only the reservoirs are different.. Remove the pressure regulator/hose fitting from the rear of the pump. Remove the bracket from the pump.. The only thing holding the reservoir now is the press fit provided by a large o-ring. Using a rubber hammer, bump the reservoir off.. Put the old reservoir on the new pump, and install the new pressure regulator/hose fitting.. Replace the brackets and pulleys. Mount the pump and viola, you're ready to go.. Follow the remanufacturer's bleeding instructions...
I'm not changing reservoirs. I have no idea whether the leak was from the old pump, the old reservoir, or from a seal or bad surface... and it voids any warranty.

Besides, I want to be sure I'm using the correct bracket.

But thanks for the idea.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
it looks like your return port on the Pump is correct for 78 but that looks like a later year bracket.
Your illustration is from '78? It looks like the old pump is correct and the new one is not... and that the proper mounting bracket should be three pieces. One on the exhaust manifold, one on the left side that attaches to that piece and has the adjustment, and one that attaches to the water pump and bolts to both front and rear of the pump. Am I seeing that right?

Any idea what year the bracket I have is used for?

And thanks for the illustration.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your bracket looks like the one used in the 80's. Off hand, I don't know how that compares to the older models, my 70's models are big blocks. I do have a small block '77 K5, but I can't say for sure that the pump and brackets are original.

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Your illustration is from '78? It looks like the old pump is correct and the new one is not... and that the proper mounting bracket should be three pieces. One on the exhaust manifold, one on the left side that attaches to that piece and has the adjustment, and one that attaches to the water pump and bolts to both front and rear of the pump. Am I seeing that right?

Any idea what year the bracket I have is used for?

And thanks for the illustration.
Yes, illustrations are from the 1978 service manual posted in the reference section of the forum.

The can on your old pump looks right. New one looks wrong.

Your bracket looks to be from the 80s when they changed to the A4(??) A/c compressor. The brackets shown in the 1978 illustrations are the same as my 75.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
It's your thread dude - i'm talking to you..
Do you see the "quote" at the bottom right of everyone's posts? If you click on that their post will appear as a quote on your post and everyone will know what you are talking about and who you are responding to.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Yes, illustrations are from the 1978 service manual posted in the reference section of the forum.

The can on your old pump looks right. New one looks wrong.

Your bracket looks to be from the 80s when they changed to the A4(??) A/c compressor. The brackets shown in the 1978 illustrations are the same as my 75.
I'll have to find that reference section. Learn something new every day...

I took a quick look around and couldn't find anything labeled "reference section" or anything I thought would lead to to a reference section. What do I need to click on?

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Do you see the "quote" at the bottom right of everyone's posts? If you click on that their post will appear as a quote on your post and everyone will know what you are talking about and who you are responding to.
Joined Sep 18, 2023

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231002_191350_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231002_191350_Chrome.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef